Prospect Info: #36OA - Hurricanes Select G Pyotr Kochetkov

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

Team missed the playoffs, so it sounds like they're letting him explore North American options sooner rather than waiting til the formality at the end of the season.

Looks like the season is scheduled to end at the end of February, but they haven't been playing since January 7. Who knows if the KHL will try to make up those games or not, only prolonging things further.

Agreed it's best for all parties to move on and let Kochetkov try to get into the US to play this season for Chicago.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Looks like the season is scheduled to end at the end of February, but they haven't been playing since January 7. Who knows if the KHL will try to make up those games or not, only prolonging things further.

Agreed it's best for all parties to move on and let Kochetkov try to get into the US to play this season for Chicago.

KHL season is over, they will be going straight to playoffs and Torpedo is eliminated so that's why they terminated his contract, it was up after this year anyways.

I'd get him on our taxi squad asap and give him some starts, even if it's at the expense of Freddie/Raanta. If it's clear he needs more time then send him down to the A but I wouldn't hesitate to throw him to the Wolves before we think about sending him to the Wolves.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
kochetkov.png

Obviously, if all goes well, he'll be a Linus Ullmark. If he doesn't meet expectations, he'll be at least as good as Vasilevskiy, or in a worst case scenario, he'll be a Roberto Luongo. That's how this works, right?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
KHL season is over, they will be going straight to playoffs and Torpedo is eliminated so that's why they terminated his contract, it was up after this year anyways.

I'd get him on our taxi squad asap and give him some starts, even if it's at the expense of Freddie/Raanta. If it's clear he needs more time then send him down to the A but I wouldn't hesitate to throw him to the Wolves before we think about sending him to the Wolves.
It's possible that Koch may insist on some sort of protection against being sent down to a bus league that pays less than KHL. Maybe an European Assingment clause giving him the option to choose to be loaned overseas if he's sent to minors.

Though, his NHL career chances are not looking bad so maybe he'll play along nicely.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
It's possible that Koch may insist on some sort of protection against being sent down to a bus league that pays less than KHL. Maybe an European Assingment clause giving him the option to choose to be loaned overseas if he's sent to minors.

Though, his NHL career chances are not looking bad so maybe he'll play along nicely.

He already is under contract with us with a European Assignment clause I believe. And I'm just referring to this season and with the KHL over, playing in the AHL is better than not playing at all which is his situation right now. I guess if he didn't want to play in the A he could choose to be loaned to a different European league but I'm not sure why he'd want to do that?

I think if he doesn't carve out a role here and earn significant playing time with the Canes for next season that he'll be loaned back to the KHL next year and would likely be back here in '23-'24 season once Raanta and Freddie's contracts are up. But his best option right now is to come over for the rest of this season and see how it goes in the A or NHL if he can get some playing time. Better than sitting around or trying to go to some non-KHL European team, which I'm not even sure is an option for him.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
He already is under contract with us with a European Assignment clause I believe.
Well, ****. So he was loaned already, so this was not a regular type of contract at all.

But, he can't come to NA until the season ends in Europe, so maybe this was a workaround. I'm not sure though if the league won't have an issue if he comes over now, because there is an element that maybe could be perceived as circumventionish. Though effectively his KHL team's season is over and if I remember correctly I think guys from SHL maybe have had similar terminations or suchlike to come a bit earlier.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Well, ****. So he was loaned already, so this was not a regular type of contract at all.

But, he can't come to NA until the season ends in Europe, so maybe this was a workaround. I'm not sure though if the league won't have an issue if he comes over now, because there is an element that maybe could be perceived as circumventionish. Though effectively his KHL team's season is over and if I remember correctly I think guys from SHL maybe have had similar terminations or suchlike to come a bit earlier.

Wait why would the league care if he came back early from being on loan or it being "circumventionish?" KHL season is over, his contract there was terminated, he's under contract with the Canes. I don't see the issue or where there's anything here to debate about it not being a completely reasonable and legit move for all sides.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Wait why would the league care if he came back early from being on loan or it being "circumventionish?" KHL season is over, his contract there was terminated, he's under contract with the Canes. I don't see the issue or where there's anything here to debate about it not being a completely reasonable and legit move for all sides.
I don't know the actual rules on how a player who is loaned overseas for a season can return to his NHL team during the same season. But I understand that there is such a rule and the overseas season having to have ended is a part of it. So the "issue" would be technical thing to begin with (and furthermore marred with coronavirus-related exceptionality).

What Torpedo terminated is a contract within KHL structure. As Koch already has an NHL SPC in effect, I don't think NHL within their own legal structure can recognize that Koch would have had a "contract to an unaffiliated league" with KHL this season.

The "KHL contract" for NHL is just some agreement bethween NHL-contracted Koch and Torpedo on what terms the European Assignment loan from NHL has been facilitated between those two.

So as NHL won't recognize Koch's KHL contract to begin with, the termination of such KHL contract can't either have legal meaning and repercussions under the NHL CBA. So the termination should be irrelevant to the question whether Koch can return.

NHL may well deem that Torpedo has played its final regular season game and thusly have ended the season and Koch would be free to return anyway and the termination is irrelevant to that question as far as NHL is concerned. Maybe it was needed just for the KHL end of things.

Idk. Tricky when you don't know the rules.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad