Prospect Info: #36OA - Hurricanes Select G Pyotr Kochetkov

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
There’s a decent argument to be made that the KHL is a better developmental path for goalies than the AHL.
I think the opportunity to be our primary call-up in the event of injury (and, effectively a 90% chance of getting a few NHL starts next year given who our goalies are.... just sayin) would probably make it incredibly enticing for him to want to stay for what should be a higher salary.

And I am not sure I care too much about the development potential of KHL vs AHL right now when there are very serious questions on whether he would be allowed to come back if he went back to Russia.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I think the opportunity to be our primary call-up in the event of injury (and, effectively a 90% chance of getting a few NHL starts next year given who our goalies are.... just sayin) would probably make it incredibly enticing for him to want to stay for what should be a higher salary.

And I am not sure I care too much about the development potential of KHL vs AHL right now when there are very serious questions on whether he would be allowed to come back if he went back to Russia.
All that will factor in and we’ll see what decision he makes, I would also think he’d lean towards staying mainly because of the war repercussions and KHL instability. But I think there’s more of a risk his visa just gets cancelled by the US anyways than Putin doesn’t allow him to leave Russia...

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I would still probably go into next season with Freddie and Raanta. Hopefully, he will be able to be over here as the #3 hanging out in Chicago, get a few starts, and be ready for the next season with the Canes if all goes well. But I'm sure he'll do what's best for him and his family.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
All that will factor in and we’ll see what decision he makes, I would also think he’d lean towards staying mainly because of the war repercussions and KHL instability. But I think there’s more of a risk his visa just gets cancelled by the US anyways than Putin doesn’t allow him to leave Russia...
The value of the dollar versus the value of the ruble alone would make his decision pretty easy, I would think.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Plan should be to re-sign Raanta for one more year and lock Freddy to ~3-4 year deal. Let Pyotr be the backup 23-24 season and then lets hope that he can either suprass Freddy or if Freddy keeps his form to end of his new deal then Pyotr can be nominated as his succesor.

Reactions: cptjeff and Tryamw

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Plan should be to re-sign Raanta for one more year and lock Freddy to ~3-4 year deal. Let Pyotr be the backup 23-24 season and then lets hope that he can either suprass Freddy or if Freddy keeps his form to end of his new deal then Pyotr can be nominated as his succesor.
Raanta has another year. I dont see us ever extending a goalie in their 30s passed 2 years. Freddie will be 33 1/2 when his contract ends.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Raanta has another year. I dont see us ever extending a goalie in their 30s passed 2 years. Freddie will be 33 1/2 when his contract ends.
Yep we don't want to be in a position like the Isles are now with Sorokin needing to be the clear starter then a bit of a deadweight contract with Varlamov. I would try to keep Freddie on another 2 year deal after his contract is up while Pyotr backs him up or splits 1a/1b with him. If Pyotr does overtake him, then great and no problem with Freddie since it'd be a short deal and probably ok money for a 1b anyways.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Moving Raanta in the offseason could free up about $1 mill in cap and probably bring back a 3rd round pick. That cap space could be useful in trying to back Tro or Nino.

I'm not opposed to giving Kocketkov a shot at the backup role next season. The experiment could definitely fail. But I always feel like there's a couple opportunities to pickup a decent backup goalie mid season for the cheap if the experiment goes wrong.

To add to this. I only like the idea of this deal if we really need that cap space for Tro/Nino. Otherwise Andersen/Raanta is the perfect goalie tandem.

Last edited:
Reactions: cptjeff

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I actually believe we're in a bit of a pickle with goalie because we have a wealth of options. Unfortunately some of them could lead to unintended consequences.

It make sense to start next season with the exact goalie tandem we have this season. Kochetkov will almost certainly be the 1a or 1b in Chicago (can't forget about Makiniemi) and that will be and should be a battle. Whomever surfaces as the lead dog will almost certainly get a game or three with the big club (or even more depending on injuries). It is during this "trial by fire" that we'll learn a bit more. Then going into 23-24, we likely re-sign Raanta, letting Freddie walk because of money, and have one of those two Wolves tenders step into whatever role they are ready for. Or we just shop for another 1b who can be a 1a while the youngsters continue to mature.

Reactions: Tryamw and MinJaBen

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
I actually believe we're in a bit of a pickle with goalie because we have a wealth of options. Unfortunately some of them could lead to unintended consequences.

It make sense to start next season with the exact goalie tandem we have this season. Kochetkov will almost certainly be the 1a or 1b in Chicago (can't forget about Makiniemi) and that will be and should be a battle. Whomever surfaces as the lead dog will almost certainly get a game or three with the big club (or even more depending on injuries). It is during this "trial by fire" that we'll learn a bit more. Then going into 23-24, we likely re-sign Raanta, letting Freddie walk because of money, and have one of those two Wolves tenders step into whatever role they are ready for. Or we just shop for another 1b who can be a 1a while the youngsters continue to mature.
I’d be shocked if they let Andersen go and kept Raanta. Raanta has been good but Father Time has not been good to Father Finn. Waddel has said more than once that he wished they signed Freddie to a longer contract. Use next year to get the young guys reps when Father Finn or Freddie are inevitably injured then resign Freddie and use Petr or Makiniemi as the backup.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
I rather try sign Freddy with reasonable number for year or two longer than play premium for those two years. I could see 5 mil x 4 deal which I would sign at this moment.

Even if Freddy's play drops on his last year we can just send him and 2nd/3rd to Arizona or some other bad team. That lower cap hit will be needed. I would much rather sign 5 mil x 4 deal than 6 x 2.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad