3 stars of the game for the Rangers

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Passive 2-1-2 zone. It becomes helter skelter because they allow the opponents to fly into the D-zone with speed and blow past defending players.

And in the era of professional video tape analysis, our defense was a 1 or 2 trick pony at best because the counter-formations pass through like Dran-O.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Zibanejad took a huge step forward last year and is over a point per game this year. Buchnevich I think is better. DeAngelo has vastly improved under Quinn. Georgiev is a goalie but he's having a stellar year. Skjei still does dumb **** occasionally but he's having an improved year overall. Lemieux has taken a step forward. Strome you could argue for and against. Chytil has straight up been a monster.
Like I said before, I don't recall anyone saying that everyone has been bad.

It's just silly to say "even Panarin" when the top 10 best things about this team are all Panarin :laugh:

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I agree with your assessment, except I would say the Cup contender window will be 4 years away (as opposed to your 3).

We shalt see. I'm pretty darn confident that the 2022-23 season will be the beginning of the "Cup window" which should last thru the decade of the 2020's but even if you ended up being right, I'd be OK with that as well.

The bottom line is we should have a 5-7 year Cup window hopefully more but I'm not going to be greedy and if we don't win a Cup or even multiple Cups god forbid(lol) during that time frame, well than I'm probably going to meet my maker with only one glorious and memorable parade back in '94 having been at and that will be that.

As cynical as I can be at times, I really do think Gorton and now JD absolutely have the team headed in the right direction as this rebuild of ours really has been going beautifully and it really would be shocking if this rebuild of ours didn't bear some fruits in the relatively near future.

Reactions: Musto

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Surprised to see only four votes for Buchnevich. He was Johnny-on-the-spot a few times and seemed to be generally good all around. Maybe I missed something?

Deleted member 23124

We shalt see. I'm pretty darn confident that the 2022-23 season will be the beginning of the "Cup window" which should last thru the decade of the 2020's but even if you ended up being right, I'd be OK with that as well.

The bottom line is we should have a 5-7 year Cup window hopefully more but I'm not going to be greedy and if we don't win a Cup or even multiple Cups god forbid(lol) during that time frame, well than I'm probably going to meet my maker with only one glorious and memorable parade back in '94 having been at and that will be that.

As cynical as I can be at times, I really do think Gorton and now JD absolutely have the team headed in the right direction as this rebuild of ours really has been going beautifully and it really would be shocking if this rebuild of ours didn't bear some fruits in the relatively near future.
Of course, you could be right, but I think a good portion of our assessment is dependent on what happens at the end of this year and the off season. Personnel movement will be a huge part of it. They should be be done evaluating and have a good idea as to who is going to help this team and who needs to be moved.

Reactions: Maximus

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
My thoughts:

1. Release Skjei. He's a disaster and always doing something STUPID at the WORST times to cost this team points.

2. Kakko is invisible and is starting to remind me of Pavel Brendl. Dude needs to hit the treadmill and get his conditioning straightened out. He's in his own head right now. That shootout attempt was weak sauce.

3. Lundqvist is nearing the end. The 2nd and 3rd goals were really, really bad. Shesterkin is ready and Georgiev has been racking up the wins. Sorry Hank, but your window was from 2012-2015. 2nd best goalie in Rangers history behind Richter, but it's time to go.

Honorable mention: What the F was DeAngelo doing in the shooutout when we had a chance to ice the game? C'mon Quinn, wake up.

1. Skjel hasn't been as bad as last season and the only dman not making bad plays lately might be Lindgren. This includes Fox, whose defensive game has been a little shaky lately. That's presumably temporary.

2. Comparing Kakko to Brendl in any way is one of the most ridiculous things ever posted here.

3. Lundquist had a poor game, especially when he went for a skate during play. He has had a far better career than Richter, by any definition.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Everyone before the season: "this season about development not wins"

The Rangers: *get carried to wins kicking and screaming by a 28 YO player*

Everyone: "this is great! We'll be a force in a few years!"

Adding Fox, Lindgren, Hajek, and Kakko, is about development, isn't it? If not, what does development mean? There are supposedly others in the pipeline who will help, too, so what do you think they should be doing differently, other than having 10 Elias Pettersons on the way?

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Thank God for that.

I completely understand the thought that coaching isn't a fix-all and it's not, but this team barely plays hockey. There's no semblance of a system. He's angry AV.

Talent beats coaching 99 out of 100 times.

Besides Trotz, which coaches have consistently had a positive impact?

Reactions: egelband

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Right now, yes, Kakko is Pavel Brendl at even strength. Get mad at people for telling the truth all you want.

Nobody has remotely given up on him and just about every single poster has rooted hard for him. It's your problem if you expect people to not be slightly alarmed.

Well before his rookie season ends, Kakko will have more NHL goals than Brendl scored in his entire career.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Again, I just look at it as telling the truth.

This team is worse as a whole than they were last year.

I don't understand how that's not a disappointment.

It's not a disappointment because when you re-design a team it almost has to go backwards for a while. If you said they would be better this season, I don't remember reading it.

Kaapo Kakko

Dec 23, 2017
Lundquist had a poor game, especially when he went for a skate during play. He has had a far better career than Richter, by any definition.

Why because he won a Vezina? Richter won a cup here. I'm sure Lundqvist would trade his Vezina for that. Richter is the greatest American goalie ever and the best Rangers goalie in history in my opinion. I've seen both play and from his '94 performance alone, he deserves that title. Lundqvist has yet to have that caliber of a performance in the playoffs, despite his impressive regular season numbers.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I think a lot of you are either just missing it or being intentionally obtuse with Machinehead.

He's upset they look out-efforted and badly outphysicaled as the youngest or whatever team in the league. They in a very literal sense look between bad and terrible most nights.

That's not part of a 'rebuild', and yes, it's concerning, as much as individually a few guys are doing well in the offensive zone.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Why because he won a Vezina? Richter won a cup here. I'm sure Lundqvist would trade his Vezina for that. Richter is the greatest American goalie ever and the best Rangers goalie in history in my opinion. I've seen both play and from his '94 performance alone, he deserves that title. Lundqvist has yet to have that caliber of a performance in the playoffs, despite his impressive regular season numbers.

He has had better playoff performances. This is non sense.

Are you seriously comparing the 94 team to the 14 team? They are not remotely close.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

The idea of a goalie being judged by Cups might be the most inane sports belief. If Hasek didn't finish his career in Detroit, he would have ZERO Cups, and he is easily the best I have ever seen.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
My thoughts:

3. Lundqvist is nearing the end. The 2nd and 3rd goals were really, really bad. Shesterkin is ready and Georgiev has been racking up the wins. Sorry Hank, but your window was from 2012-2015. 2nd best goalie in Rangers history behind Richter, but it's time to go.

Hank saved 39 of 42 shots on goal - a 92.9 save percentage. Yes, goal #2 was terrible, but he did not have a bad game overall. He made some nice saves.

Honorable mention: What the F was DeAngelo doing in the shooutout when we had a chance to ice the game? C'mon Quinn, wake up.

DeAngelo has been good in the shootout..

Kaapo Kakko

Dec 23, 2017
He has had better playoff performances. This is non sense.

Are you seriously comparing the 94 team to the 14 team? They are not remotely close.

The 2012 Rangers were the best team in the East and the 2015 Rangers won the Presidents Trophy. There seems to be a myth around here that '94 Rangers didn't really need Richter to win that cup. He literally stood on his head Game 6 against the Devils and at several other points in that playoff run. Lundqvist has had his chances with some very good teams and come up short. Doesn't mean he didn't have a good career and he's been a great Ranger, but I can't make excuses for him.

Kaapo Kakko

Dec 23, 2017
Hank saved 39 of 42 shots on goal - a 92.9 save percentage. Yes, goal #2 was terrible, but he did not have a bad game overall. He made some nice saves.

DeAngelo has been good in the shootout..

That's been the M.O. of Lundqvist's career though. Makes some really nice saves but lets in stinkers at the worst times. In my opinion a really good game would be to make those nice saves minus the stinkers. I don't think he had a good game to be honest.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Yes!

You're absolutely right.

I only care about outplaying the opponent.

I couldn't give a rats ass about wins that they play like **** in.

Hit the nail on the head.

I call bullshit on this one. You’re having an episode after the Rangers outplayed Anaheim in 2/3 periods (especially in the 3rd when it “counts” the most for a team like these Rangers) and OT.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
That's been the M.O. of Lundqvist's career though. Makes some really nice saves but lets in stinkers at the worst times. In my opinion a really good game would be to make those nice saves minus the stinkers. I don't think he had a good game to be honest.

That's cool. Save percentage of 0.928 is still above average.

Imagine having a goalie like Martin Jones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad