3 stars of the game for the Rangers

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
It would be good for you to start by asking a question why Quinn, who has such a short leash when it comes to Buchnevich, continues to send out Buch out there even when his scoring dried out recently. The thing is your take above is completely wrong. He’s been doing the right things away from the puck throughout the draught, and contributing with back-checking, take-aways, keeping the puck in the offensive zone, etc.

I’m not an analytics guy as the prime way to judge performance on ice, but I’m sure Buchnevich has had good advance stats.
Buchnevich has great advanced stats, some of the best on the team.

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
Why because he won a Vezina? Richter won a cup here. I'm sure Lundqvist would trade his Vezina for that. Richter is the greatest American goalie ever and the best Rangers goalie in history in my opinion. I've seen both play and from his '94 performance alone, he deserves that title. Lundqvist has yet to have that caliber of a performance in the playoffs, despite his impressive regular season numbers.

Cam Ward is a Stanley Cup winner.

He never had a signature playoff run.

You have already been destroyed for that stupid take but seriously dude? WOW!

Reactions: Maximus

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
I think a lot of you are either just missing it or being intentionally obtuse with Machinehead.

He's upset they look out-efforted and badly outphysicaled as the youngest or whatever team in the league. They in a very literal sense look between bad and terrible most nights.

That's not part of a 'rebuild', and yes, it's concerning, as much as individually a few guys are doing well in the offensive zone.
The ignore feature is the best thing going on HF. That way I don’t have to read through the nonsense on here.

Reactions: effen

Drew4u

Jul 22, 2016
Imagine thinking that Lundqvist ever had a "good" team in front of him. Or thinking he didn't have a signature playoff run. Stop embarrassing yourself.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
I think you answered your question--unless it was rhetorical. It's the systems they have in place, or, as you like to prefer, the lack of systems.

I'd like to keep having faith in Quinn and that he was the right choice that the FO picked in developing a young players. But I think I agree with you that right now, we have a collection of young players but not necessarily a cohesive and structured squad yet. I do not know the reasons why they play the way they do as a group, the collapse-down coverage, the passiveness, the lack of physicality, etc.
That was sather and our last coach’s philosophy. It’s gonna take a while to purge the wussies out.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Why because he won a Vezina? Richter won a cup here. I'm sure Lundqvist would trade his Vezina for that. Richter is the greatest American goalie ever and the best Rangers goalie in history in my opinion. I've seen both play and from his '94 performance alone, he deserves that title. Lundqvist has yet to have that caliber of a performance in the playoffs, despite his impressive regular season numbers.
It’s very close. I’d say it’s so close, it gets decided by personal preference.

Reactions: Maximus

Whoot Whoot

Biased Rangers Fan
Feb 28, 2007
Los Angeles
this - respect the man

That's such a ****ing ridiculous take. Here's Lundqvist's save percentage each of the playoff runs from 11-12 to 14-15:

11-12: .931
12-13: .934
13-14: .927
14-15: .928

And if you want to go even further, he had a .927 in 16-17.

In 13-14 when they went to the Cup Final, he allowed 1 goal in game 7 v. the Flyers. His game 7 performance v. the Penguins is one of the single best goaltending games I've ever seen. He posted a shutout to win the conference. Even when they went down in game 5 v. the Kings, he posted a .941 save percentage in that game and gave them every single chance to win. What ****ing more do you want? How could you even remotely compare the teams Lundqvist had to Richter and say to yourself nonsense like that?

Reactions: Siddi

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
The 94 team had a bunch of Hall of Famers and borderline Hall of Famers.

Lundqvist had who?
Well, most of the HoFers were not in their HoF primes, to be fair. Messier and Leetch were definitely better than anyone on Hank’s teams, though. And maybe Kovalev too. That’s right. Richter had the better supporting cast.

Reactions: zephyr and Maximus

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I know it’s blasphemy around these parts, but Richter and Osgood are probably the most overrated goalies of the past 30 years. You don’t need a good goalie to win a Cup: just a hot one. You do, however, need a great goalie to consistently get into the playoffs in the absence of a prolific offense. That’s where Hank came in.

I would just add that there’s no guarantee that simply a good goalie will get hot at the right time. Going cold on the other hand would almost guarantee to ruin anything good a team is capable of producing otherwise.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA

I'm closer to believing as well that Richter by a hair over Hank as far as greatest Ranger goalie ever.

I gotta disagree with you tho here when you what I bolded about Hank. If you as you say have watched both Richter and Lundqvist, it's actually hard to believe you would have said that. You do realize Hank carried this team on his back in the playoffs most years.

Hank's regular season goals against average for his career is 2.43 with a save % of .918% with over 460 wins....superb #'s no doubt.

Guess what? His playoff #'s blow away his regular season #'s which is why I'm wondering why you would even say what you said. Here's some #'s for you.

From his age 28 season to his age 34 season, here are Hank's goals against averages and save %'s in order:

2010-11....... 2.26 and .917% in 5 playoff games
2011-12........1.82 and .931% in 20 playoff games
2012-13.......2.14 and .934% in 12 playoff games
2013-14.......2.14 and .927% in 25 playoff games
2014-15.......2.11 and .928% in 19 playoff games
2016-17.......2.27 and .927% in 12 playoff games

Do numbers like these not live up to your "standards" of great goaltending in the playoffs?

For Lundy's career he has a 2.28 GAA and a .922 save % in 128 playoff games with 10 shutouts!!. That his won/loss record is just 61-65 is not Lundy's fault as he came up big in pretty much every playoff game he played in at least from my recollection.

He was the reason the Rangers made these long playoff runs where they made 3 ECF's and a Cup final.

I do believe it's pretty safe to say Hank has more than lived up to his reputation as a big game goaltender both in the regular season as well as the playoffs.

Reactions: egelband

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think a lot of you are either just missing it or being intentionally obtuse with Machinehead.

He's upset they look out-efforted and badly outphysicaled as the youngest or whatever team in the league. They in a very literal sense look between bad and terrible most nights.

That's not part of a 'rebuild', and yes, it's concerning, as much as individually a few guys are doing well in the offensive zone.

Of course they are because any criticism of the team whatsoever has become "whatever, they're rebuilding" no matter how concerning it is. And people knew this was going to happen.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
How is being inconsistent not part of a rebuilding process? They literally dumped 6 on the Sharks just on stubbornness alone. Then followed that performance with, whatever the hell they did against the ducks.

The Rangers is not tweaking a mostly veteran roster. They are not sprinkling in a few fresh legs in the hope of giving the old heads a bloodrush.

The roster will be pruned further. Vets like Staal and Hank sitting for long periods will happen. Kreider being demoted to the 4th line will occur more often. We will also see Lemieux and McKegg get bumped up, even if they don't entirely deserve it.

The team will get blasted by the Sens and Devils, then turn right around to beat the Caps and Vegas. Inconsistent, and all part of a rebuild.
Because it's not "inconsistency" and never had anything to do with inconsistency.

Writing if off as inconsistency is a perfect example of writing off legitimate concerns as "oh well it's a rebuild."

They've been getting absolutely f***ing dunked on in shots for six years. Where's this inconsistency?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They won the Cup.

Yeah, but they were outshot, so I'm suicidal.
giphy.gif

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I get the feeling all the people that said they wanted a rebuild didnt really want one. In general they take about 4 or 5 years, we are a year and a half in and people are losing it because we play like a young team with holes in a lot of positions, go figure. Keep in mind we have the same points as the maple leafs right now and are a point ahead of Tampa. I'd say we are overachieving to be honest.

Reactions: Jim Ramsay

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I get the feeling all the people that said they wanted a rebuild didnt really want one. In general they take about 4 or 5 years, we are a year and a half in and people are losing it because we play like a young team with holes in a lot of positions, go figure. Keep in mind we have the same points as the maple leafs right now and are a point ahead of Tampa. I'd say we are overachieving to be honest.

In all fairness to @ReggieDunlop68, he got yelled for wanting a rebuild, and then when the team was overachieving, he got yelled at by the people who at first said they wanted a rebuild

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008

On the other hand, those two teams are underachieving.

Reactions: leetch99

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
The team gets deflated when Hank gives up these types of goals... WTF happened to him. His game was technical.. Is he attempting to change styles/redefine his game? He never made mistakes like this.

He doesn't trust himself anymore? :(

TfRSXGh.png

E23uqwf.png

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I never seen a top6 player get as many chances as Buch gets... Vesey was close but he's not a top6... same results though

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The team gets deflated when Hank gives up these types of goals... WTF happened to him. His game was technical.. Is he attempting to change styles/redefine his game? He never made mistakes like this.

He doesn't trust himself anymore? :(

TfRSXGh.png

E23uqwf.png

Didn't really think it was a big deal. He clearly lost his footing a bit when he went to stand up. It happens and was nothing more than a bad break.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Didn't really think it was a big deal. He clearly lost his footing a bit when he went to stand up. It happens and was nothing more than a bad break.
He lost his footing nearly outside the trapezoid.... What's the purpose of being there?

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
He lost his footing nearly outside the trapezoid.... What's the purpose of being there?
Fresh ice, he slid a bit further than he wanted. Again, it was just a bad break. He never does that and until it becomes a problem where it happens frequently than I don't see it as a big deal.

Reactions: Siddi

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Imagine thinking that Lundqvist ever had a "good" team in front of him. Or thinking he didn't have a signature playoff run. Stop embarrassing yourself.

Wait, you mean in 2013 when Stu Bickel was playing 4 minutes a game on the third pair wasn't a good team?

Worst take I've ever heard is that Lundqvist couldn't get it done. He single handedly carried teams YEAR AFTER YEAR to the second and third round of the playoffs that had absolutely no business even making the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad