Post-Game Talk: #32 - 12/14/19 | RANGERS @ ducks | 4:00pm - MSG

3 stars of the game for the Rangers

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
The 2012 Rangers were the best team in the East and the 2015 Rangers won the Presidents Trophy. There seems to be a myth around here that '94 Rangers didn't really need Richter to win that cup. He literally stood on his head Game 6 against the Devils and at several other points in that playoff run. Lundqvist has had his chances with some very good teams and come up short. Doesn't mean he didn't have a good career and he's been a great Ranger, but I can't make excuses for him.

The 94 team had a bunch of Hall of Famers and borderline Hall of Famers.

Lundqvist had who?

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
That's been the M.O. of Lundqvist's career though. Makes some really nice saves but lets in stinkers at the worst times. In my opinion a really good game would be to make those nice saves minus the stinkers. I don't think he had a good game to be honest.

You seem to have forgotten some of Richter's stinkers. All goalies make them, but Richter had one of the single worst ever.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Lundqvist didnt have a good game that's for sure and I cant help but think he rushed back after his back soreness because Georgiev was stealing the crease. I really think he needs to accept the back up goalie role and ride this out, hes not terrible but he isnt King Henry anymore.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Bottom line is hank has lost 4 straight and hasn’t looked good in any of them while Georgiev has won 5 of 6.

for a team Mired in a win one lose one run this should be a no brainer. If you’re serious about winning games you play your best players. Georgiev is better than Lundqvist. It really shouldn’t be up for debate at this point. And frankly Shesterkin is better than the both of them.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Why because he won a Vezina? Richter won a cup here. I'm sure Lundqvist would trade his Vezina for that. Richter is the greatest American goalie ever and the best Rangers goalie in history in my opinion. I've seen both play and from his '94 performance alone, he deserves that title. Lundqvist has yet to have that caliber of a performance in the playoffs, despite his impressive regular season numbers.

His postseason #'s are better than his regular season numbers

I agree about the mental lapses he's had and what they might've cost us, but I strongly disagree that he played for any "great" teams. They were great primarily BECAUSE of him. We didn't have a top 10 player on offense or defense at any point in his career, let alone HOF worthy players

Reactions: Maximus

Kaapo Kakko

Dec 23, 2017
You seem to have forgotten some of Richter's stinkers. All goalies make them, but Richter had one of the single worst ever.

The Francis goal was early on in Richter's career and they weren't beating the Penguins anyway. Those Lemieux teams always had the Rangers number for whatever reason. Richter made up for any gaffes in '94, Lundqvist never did. He never had a signature playoff run.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The Francis goal was early on in Richter's career and they weren't beating the Penguins anyway. Those Lemieux teams always had the Rangers number for whatever reason. Richter made up for any gaffes in '94, Lundqvist never did. He never had a signature playoff run.

the whatever reason was Lemieux lol. And jagr Francis Stevens etc.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
Lundqvist loses one game in the regular season in 2019 against the Anaheim Ducks and his HOF bona-fides are stripped.

Seriously ridiculous that every game he doesn't win the PGT is littered with prophecies about the end of his career. Especially when Georgiev (re: Johnson, Talbot, Raanta) is on a hot streak.

New York and their goaltender-crucifixion fetish... It's going on ten years now guys, can we give it a rest?

About the game though, thought we played really well for two periods (Hank included).

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Lundqvist loses one game in the regular season in 2019 against the Anaheim Ducks and his HOF bona-fides are stripped.

Seriously ridiculous that every game he doesn't win the PGT is littered with prophecies about the end of his career. Especially when Georgiev (re: Johnson, Talbot, Raanta) is on a hot streak.

New York and their goaltender-crucifixion fetish... It's going on ten years now guys, can we give it a rest?

About the game though, thought we played really well for two periods (Hank included).

1st ballot. Best goalie of an entire generation. Put any team on that top five in front of hank and he has MULTIPLE cups.

#blamesather

Reactions: wafflepadsave

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY

That's such a f***ing ridiculous take. Here's Lundqvist's save percentage each of the playoff runs from 11-12 to 14-15:

11-12: .931
12-13: .934
13-14: .927
14-15: .928

And if you want to go even further, he had a .927 in 16-17.

In 13-14 when they went to the Cup Final, he allowed 1 goal in game 7 v. the Flyers. His game 7 performance v. the Penguins is one of the single best goaltending games I've ever seen. He posted a shutout to win the conference. Even when they went down in game 5 v. the Kings, he posted a .941 save percentage in that game and gave them every single chance to win. What f***ing more do you want? How could you even remotely compare the teams Lundqvist had to Richter and say to yourself nonsense like that?

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
That's such a ****ing ridiculous take. Here's Lundqvist's save percentage each of the playoff runs from 11-12 to 14-15:

11-12: .931
12-13: .934
13-14: .927
14-15: .928

And if you want to go even further, he had a .927 in 16-17.

In 13-14 when they went to the Cup Final, he allowed 1 goal in game 7 v. the Flyers. His game 7 performance v. the Penguins is one of the single best goaltending games I've ever seen. He posted a shutout to win the conference. Even when they went down in game 5 v. the Kings, he posted a .941 save percentage in that game and gave them every single chance to win. What ****ing more do you want? How could you even remotely compare the teams Lundqvist had to Richter and say to yourself nonsense like that?

This.

Blame the offense, not Hank.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I mean, really.

I was infuriated by the goals Hank let in, but people are acting like the Rangers weren’t the better team for 2 of the 3 periods and OT.

And to say they were only the better team in only 4 out of 32 so far...? :shakehead

They’re rebuilding. They’re the youngest team in the league. And I see good things in almost every game. What’s more, the bad things I see come mostly from guys who won’t be here in a year or two.

They’re exactly where I expected them to be, and I am very encouraged.
Same. I just don’t know what to do about some pieces. Example: CK leads by example when it comes to working out and staying in shape, and his reactions reveal passion and (when appropriate) concern, but he lacks consistency on the ice. Do we want our young guys around that? Or maybe it is wise to keep around a guy who’s been with this organization — through ups and downs — his whole career? Staal and Lundqvist will likely be gone by the time much of the new crop arrives. Panarin, despite his contract, is a no-brainer: he’s been a PPG player his entire career; his passion and love for the game are obvious. We have to keep him despite his contract. Buch is less obvious. He’s incredibly frustrating to watch — but can you find much better production for $3mm / year? His inconsistency, defensive ineptitude and seeming disregard for fitness (no top-six NHLer should be forced off the puck that easily) worry me the most.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Bottom line is hank has lost 4 straight and hasn’t looked good in any of them while Georgiev has won 5 of 6.

for a team Mired in a win one lose one run this should be a no brainer. If you’re serious about winning games you play your best players. Georgiev is better than Lundqvist. It really shouldn’t be up for debate at this point. And frankly Shesterkin is better than the both of them.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
This.

Blame the offense, not Hank.
I know it’s blasphemy around these parts, but Richter and Osgood are probably the most overrated goalies of the past 30 years. You don’t need a good goalie to win a Cup: just a hot one. You do, however, need a great goalie to consistently get into the playoffs in the absence of a prolific offense. That’s where Hank came in.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017

In other words, either Georgie is playing against “worse” teams, or the team simply plays better when in front of Georgiev (perhaps because they still think Hank is always there to bail them out).

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008

Lundqvist is 6-2 in Game 7’s with a 1.11 goals against average and a .961 save %. I really think you’re discounting how clutch he’s been in big games. Since the 2008 playoffs he also leads all goalies with a .835 high danger save %.

http://es.pn/2G9SLjz

PalmCoastRanger

Jun 21, 2019
I think a lot of you are either just missing it or being intentionally obtuse with Machinehead.

He's upset they look out-efforted and badly outphysicaled as the youngest or whatever team in the league. They in a very literal sense look between bad and terrible most nights.

That's not part of a 'rebuild', and yes, it's concerning, as much as individually a few guys are doing well in the offensive zone.

How is being inconsistent not part of a rebuilding process? They literally dumped 6 on the Sharks just on stubbornness alone. Then followed that performance with, whatever the hell they did against the ducks.

The Rangers is not tweaking a mostly veteran roster. They are not sprinkling in a few fresh legs in the hope of giving the old heads a bloodrush.

The roster will be pruned further. Vets like Staal and Hank sitting for long periods will happen. Kreider being demoted to the 4th line will occur more often. We will also see Lemieux and McKegg get bumped up, even if they don't entirely deserve it.

The team will get blasted by the Sens and Devils, then turn right around to beat the Caps and Vegas. Inconsistent, and all part of a rebuild.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
... Buch is less obvious. He’s incredibly frustrating to watch — but can you find much better production for $3mm / year? His inconsistency, defensive ineptitude and seeming disregard for fitness (no top-six NHLer should be forced off the puck that easily) worry me the most.

It would be good for you to start by asking a question why Quinn, who has such a short leash when it comes to Buchnevich, continues to send out Buch out there even when his scoring dried out recently. The thing is your take above is completely wrong. He’s been doing the right things away from the puck throughout the draught, and contributing with back-checking, take-aways, keeping the puck in the offensive zone, etc.

I’m not an analytics guy as the prime way to judge performance on ice, but I’m sure Buchnevich has had good advance stats.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Adding Fox, Lindgren, Hajek, and Kakko, is about development, isn't it? If not, what does development mean? There are supposedly others in the pipeline who will help, too, so what do you think they should be doing differently, other than having 10 Elias Pettersons on the way?
Everyone keeps throwing Lindgren and Hajek in as if Lindgren and Hajek haven't been well below replacement level.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Look at the bright side, we no longer see Hank blow up on others when goals are scored on him. Because now he's the reason they go in.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Siddi and will1066
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad