Proposal: 3 Team Blockbuster: VAN + EDM + NJ (edited)

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
How does Horvat and Boeser get you the first and eighth picks? The other thing that makes no sense about this trade is that Edmonton gives up the best player in the deal, and they don’t get the number one pick. This proposal was made by a Canucks fan, so of course they give up the least and get the best. Garbage.
My God picks are so overvalued on here...a 70 point two way center and one of the best faceoff men in the league and a 30 goal scorer in his second season are worth far more than unproven picks. We are completely fine picking Boldy it whoever at 10. Boeser and Horvat aren’t going anywhere. Jack Hughes is not a generational player.

Reactions: Groo

Dafp

May 3, 2016
UK
no its not...

Its basically Horvat + Boeser for #1 and #8. All the other pieces are throw ins. Gagner and Schneider are cap dumps, Pul is worth a 3rd and Zacha is a throw in so the Devils can unload the Schneider contract. The Canucks arent getting Draisaitl here.

Horvat and Boeser are guaranteed first line players. And youre trading it for two draft picks...nah fam. In fact, Canucks are the biggest losers in this deal. Every other team gets guaranteed first line players.

So keep your first line players and we’ll keep #1.

We don’t need to offload Schneider’s contract. We’re about as far away from the cap as you can get.

I’m not opposed to trading Zacha, but likely only in the scenario that we get a similar sort of player (i.e. a prospect who’s struggled) back. Zacha for JP? Zacha for Virtanen? Maybe. Zacha for nothing to get rid of a contract that we don’t need to get rid of? No thanks.

Reactions: mdj12784

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
You’re forgetting that Hughes will be on an entry level deal and Draisaitl makes over 8 million a year.
Every GM in the NHL takes the player who is a proven 105 point guy and is signed to 7 more years at what, more-and-more, is looking like a very good contract... over a 1OA in an average draft.... especially a team with the apparent cap space.

Anyways, I don't feel Draisaitl and 8OA for Boeser and Horvat is terrible but not enough for me to give up Draisaitl. I would easily take Boeser or Horvat for 8OA (if we had the cap space) but I would not trade Drai for 1OA... unless my hand was being forced.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Lol Edmonton isn’t dealing just Draisaitl for Horvat and Boeser and you expect 8th overall and Puljujarvi added as well?? We already have nugent Hopkins, why on Earth would we trade for another 2C? Why would we deal Draisaitl for a much lesser winger? Atrocious deal for us. Zero sense to it whatsoever.

Reactions: TFHockey

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Oilers get bent over the worst in this, and the Devils aren't trading #1, especially not in some kind of cap dump deal with Schneider where it's devalued.

Terrible proposal all around that heavily favors the Canucks.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
How so?

Boeser should be a lock for 40+ goals playing alongside McDavid, and Horvat is one of the best 2nd line centers in the NHL

Perhaps I'm undervaluing Puljujarvi and the #8 pick, but if offered Horvat and Boeser for Draisatl, I can't imagine Edmonton would turn that down

What role does Horvat play on this team? Right, 2C. We already have a good 2C. Boeser is nowhere near the winger Draisaitl is. So effectively we’re massively downgrading positionally to add a piece we don’t need, and flushing a top ten pick and Jesse Puljujarvi for absolutely nothing. Couple that with the fact that Boeser and Horvat are going to make significantly more than Draisaitl is this trade is extra stupid for Edmonton considering we’re dumping an elite player for two good ones but not getting any longterm cap relief at all.

Devils say no, Edmonton says hell no. I don’t think Vancouver does it either to be honest but they easily get the least screwed in this deal.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
How so?

Boeser should be a lock for 40+ goals playing alongside McDavid, and Horvat is one of the best 2nd line centers in the NHL

Perhaps I'm undervaluing Puljujarvi and the #8 pick, but if offered Horvat and Boeser for Draisatl, I can't imagine Edmonton would turn that down

Draisstl and 8>>>> horvat and Boesser

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
My God picks are so overvalued on here...a 70 point two way center and one of the best faceoff men in the league and a 30 goal scorer in his second season are worth far more than unproven picks. We are completely fine picking Boldy it whoever at 10. Boeser and Horvat aren’t going anywhere. Jack Hughes is not a generational player.
You can't say those picks are overvalued and then call a guy who's career high points is 61, and has a career average of 48 points per 82 games, a 70 point center. 53.6% is great in the circle is great but best in the league? Can't call a guy who's never stayed healthy enough to score 30 goals a 30 goal scorer either...

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
You can't say those picks are overvalued and then call a guy who's career high points is 61, and has a career average of 48 points per 82 games, a 70 point center. 53.6% is great in the circle is great but best in the league? Can't call a guy who's never stayed healthy enough to score 30 goals a 30 goal scorer either...
Um scoring 29 in 62 then 26 in 69 makes him a 30 goal scorer. He missed time at the end of last season that carried to this season. Horvat took the most face offs in the league by a wide margin this season and spent almost every zone start in the defensive zone with garbage linemates and still managed to put up nearly 70 points. So yeah, two players putting up those numbers, under 22 years of age is worth a hell of a lot more than unproven picks in my opinion. I’m not that high on Hughes at all though.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
The Devils are including Schneider in the deal, which offsets some of the difference in salary between Hughes and Draisaitl

Basically, are you better off with Hughes + Schneider making 7 million per, or Draisaitl + back up goalie making 9.5?

If Schneider plays next year like he did down the stretch this year, we'll be fine.

Even if he bottoms out, NJ has the most flexible cap situation in the league. There's no urgency for cap space. We'd just eat the contract instead of purging assets to dump it somewhere.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
EDIT: Given the direction of the teams involved, I should've included Tanev in the deal going to Edmonton, so the trade has been edited to reflect that with Sekera heading to Vancouver

Canucks > Horvat, Boeser, Tanev
Canucks < #1, #8, Puljujarvi, Zacha, Schneider, Sekera, Gagner (waived)

Oilers > #8, Draisaitl, Puljujarvi, Sekera, Gagner
Oilers < Horvat, Boeser, Tanev

Devils > #1, Zacha, Schneider
Devils < Draisaitl

Vancouver: They pair the Hughes Bros while the #8 pick should also bring in a solid prospect for their rebuild. Puljujarvi and Zacha could blossom with a change of scenery. Schneider and Sekera are cap dumps, but Vancouver shouldn't be spending near the cap while they're on the books

Edmonton: They bring in a sniper to play alongside McDavid without crippling their strength down the middle, while also dumping the remaining 2 years of Sekera's contract. Gagner would be immediately waived by Vancouver and could be re-signed by Edmonton at a lower cap hit

New Jersey: They land a big, offensively talented #1 C while also dumping Schneider's contract
To many moving parts and teams. There is no way the salary dumps from Edm are Gagner and Sekera either., you would absolutely be getting the big guy.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Oh, yay, Tanev. *fart noise* Renting 50 games of Tanev isn’t worth 8+Puljujarvi either and Sekera is not a dump. Still miserable value.

Still a big fat no from Edmonton. I wouldn’t trade Draisaitl for anything either the Devils or the Canucks have - with the *possible* exception of Pettersson but we’d still be worse today.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
If Schneider plays next year like he did down the stretch this year, we'll be fine.

Even if he bottoms out, NJ has the most flexible cap situation in the league. There's no urgency for cap space. We'd just eat the contract instead of purging assets to dump it somewhere.

Assets? As in plural?

What value do you think Zacha has at this point?

It's essentially a Hughes for Draisaitl swap

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
I disagree

If Edmonton were offered that, I think they'd take it
Not a chance the oilers trade the pick and Drai for those 2. I like them both, but together they might be worth more but not enough to warrant a top 8 pick. The oilers would also need to push money back as Boeser is an RFA about to get paid at today’s dollars and Drais contract will look like a bargain by the end of this summer with the level of RFA’s that come up this year.

Reactions: TFHockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad