Proposal: 3 Team Blockbuster: VAN + EDM + NJ (edited)

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
EDIT: Given the direction of the teams involved, I should've included Tanev in the deal going to Edmonton, so the trade has been edited to reflect that with Sekera heading to Vancouver

Canucks > Horvat, Boeser, Tanev
Canucks < #1, #8, Puljujarvi, Schneider, Sekera, Gagner

Oilers > #8, Draisaitl, Puljujarvi, Sekera, Gagner
Oilers < Horvat, Boeser, Tanev

Devils > #1, Schneider
Devils < Draisaitl

Vancouver: They pair the Hughes Bros while the #8 pick should also bring in a solid prospect for their rebuild. Puljujarvi could blossom with a change of scenery. Schneider and Sekera are cap dumps, but Vancouver shouldn't be spending near the cap while they're on the books

Edmonton: They bring in a sniper to play alongside McDavid without crippling their strength down the middle, while also dumping the remaining 2 years of Sekera's contract

New Jersey: They land a big, offensively talented #1 C while also dumping Schneider's contract

Last edited:

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
Can't see the Canucks trading away 2 of their 3 best players for what would be essentially a brotherly reunion
All who are quite productive while still being young enough to still have great potential

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Canucks fan confirmed.

That is a HUGE haul for Boeser and Horvat. And the Oilers are getting bent over without lube here.

True, but they're also taking on the 3 more years of Schneider's contract. That alone is worth quite a bit

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
True, but they're also taking on the 3 more years of Schneider's contract. That alone is worth quite a bit

It’s not worth the number one and eight picks. Just because you’re willing to take on bad contracts does not entitle you to two top ten picks.

Dafp

May 3, 2016
UK
Why on earth would the Devils, who have the second most cap space right now, need to offload Schneider’s contract? He may not be worth it right now, and likely never will be again, but he’s just started showing signs of becoming a competent if not spectacular NHL goalie again. He both takes pressure off and provides competition to Blackwood, who will hopefully take over the reins as starter.

And then trading away the #1 pick? Draisaitl’s good but in no way is this an acceptable return for NJ.

Reactions: mdj12784

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
It’s not worth the number one and eight picks. Just because you’re willing to take on bad contracts does not entitle you to two top ten picks.

I saw it like this:

#1 is worth more than Horvat or Boeser
Horvat or Boeser are worth more than #8

So Horvat and Boeser are about equal to #1 and #8

The Canucks are then getting a pair of underwhelming prospects to this point in Puljujarvi and Zacha in exchange for taking on Schneider and Gagner's contract

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I saw it like this:

#1 is worth more than Horvat or Boeser
Horvat or Boeser are worth more than #8

So Horvat and Boeser are about equal to #1 and #8

The Canucks are then getting a pair of underwhelming prospects to this point in Puljujarvi and Zacha in exchange for taking on Schneider and Gagner's contract

You should include Vancouver’s first round pick this year. Even then, I don’t think it gets done. Edmonton gets screwed in this deal, and New Jersey likely does not want to give up the first pick.

This deal is very lopsided in Vancouver’s favour.

Reactions: mdj12784

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Why on earth would the Devils, who have the second most cap space right now, need to offload Schneider’s contract? He may not be worth it right now, and likely never will be again, but he’s just started showing signs of becoming a competent if not spectacular NHL goalie again. He both takes pressure off and provides competition to Blackwood, who will hopefully take over the reins as starter.

And then trading away the #1 pick? Draisaitl’s good but in no way is this an acceptable return for NJ.

Assuming the Devils plan to take Hughes #1, they're doing so hoping he becomes as good as Draisaitl

It's certainly possible Hughes ends up better than Draisaitl, but it's also possible he doesn't

So it could be argued that moving the pick for the established player in Draisaitl is the safer play

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Assuming the Devils plan to take Hughes #1, they're doing so hoping he becomes as good as Draisaitl

It's certainly possible Hughes ends up better than Draisaitl, but it's also possible he doesn't

So it could be argued that moving the pick for the established player in Draisaitl is the safer play

You’re forgetting that Hughes will be on an entry level deal and Draisaitl makes over 8 million a year.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015

Give me a call when Hughes puts up 50 goals and 105 points. I wouldn't do that trade for Drai alone and you have the Oilers pitching in the 8th overall, too.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
You should include Vancouver’s first round pick this year. Even then, I don’t think it gets done. Edmonton gets screwed in this deal, and New Jersey likely does not want to give up the first pick.

How so?

Boeser should be a lock for 40+ goals playing alongside McDavid, and Horvat is one of the best 2nd line centers in the NHL

Perhaps I'm undervaluing Puljujarvi and the #8 pick, but if offered Horvat and Boeser for Draisatl, I can't imagine Edmonton would turn that down

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011

no its not...

Its basically Horvat + Boeser for #1 and #8. All the other pieces are throw ins. Gagner and Schneider are cap dumps, Pul is worth a 3rd and Zacha is a throw in so the Devils can unload the Schneider contract. The Canucks arent getting Draisaitl here.

Horvat and Boeser are guaranteed first line players. And youre trading it for two draft picks...nah fam. In fact, Canucks are the biggest losers in this deal. Every other team gets guaranteed first line players.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
You’re forgetting that Hughes will be on an entry level deal and Draisaitl makes over 8 million a year.

The Devils are including Schneider in the deal, which offsets some of the difference in salary between Hughes and Draisaitl

Basically, are you better off with Hughes + Schneider making 7 million per, or Draisaitl + back up goalie making 9.5?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
no its not...

Its basically Horvat + Boeser for #1 and #8. All the other pieces are throw ins. The Canucks arent getting Draisaitl here.

How does Horvat and Boeser get you the first and eighth picks? The other thing that makes no sense about this trade is that Edmonton gives up the best player in the deal, and they don’t get the number one pick. This proposal was made by a Canucks fan, so of course they give up the least and get the best. Garbage.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
How does Horvat and Boeser get you the first and eighth picks? The other thing that makes no sense about this trade is that Edmonton gives up the best player in the deal, and they don’t get the number one pick. This proposal was made by a Canucks fan, so of course they give up the least and get the best. Garbage.

Horvat and Boeser absolutely can get you the #1 and #8 picks. Horvat and Boeser are both worth more than #8 and less than #1. Throw in the fact that you are guaranteed first line players under the age of 25, the trade is fair in terms of value. The OP isnt a canucks fan im pretty sure.

If Mcdavid and Matthews were the first pick in the draft you would be right. Not in this draft though.

Reactions: Groo

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Schneider has been on and off IR with ongoing injuries since last season. If it was a one-time injury and he played injury-free afterward, I wouldn't be as concerned. But last year he played 40 games and this year he played just 26. He hasn't played less than 45 games since 2012-13 with Vancouver, which was the lockout half season. After coming off a 26 game season, I'm skeptical as hell about his health and longevity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->