Proposal: 3 Team Blockbuster: VAN + EDM + NJ (edited)

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Not a chance the oilers trade the pick and Drai for those 2. I like them both, but together they might be worth more but not enough to warrant a top 8 pick. The oilers would also need to push money back as Boeser is an RFA about to get paid at today’s dollars and Drais contract will look like a bargain by the end of this summer with the level of RFA’s that come up this year.

In today’s NHL Boeser is getting at least 6.5-7, Drai is a bargain at 8.5.

Draisaitl and 8 for Horvat and Boeser is absolute insanity. If a division rival comes calling for Leon, - which let’s be serious that’s all this is, they just then flip Draisaitl for 1st - they’d better be prepared to pay through the nose. It’s laughable that OP seems to think Draisaitl is in any way available, never mind in a deal where Edmonton doesn’t get any of 1st overall, Pettersson, or Hischier.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Assets? As in plural?

What value do you think Zacha has at this point?

It's essentially a Hughes for Draisaitl swap

I won't comment on Zacha's value around the league, but I will say that his value to the Devils is pretty high.

He's visibly turning a corner, both physically and mentally. He finished the year with 20 points in his last 30 games, and 14 points in his last 20 games. After years of confidence issues, he said on break-up day that he "feels good" and "can't play scared, just make plays" -- his words, not mine. He's always been elite defensively, and is one of the Devils' best PKers.

I think he's a late bloomer, a la Couturier. The similarities (size/skating, playing style, career trajectory, etc) are striking.

So, no, it most definitely is not "essentially" a Hughes for Draisaitl swap.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I won't comment on Zacha's value around the league, but I will say that his value to the Devils is pretty high.

He's visibly turning a corner, both physically and mentally. He finished the year with 20 points in his last 30 games, and 14 points in his last 20 games. After years of confidence issues, he said on break-up day that he "feels good" and "can't play scared, just make plays" -- his words, not mine. He's always been elite defensively, and is one of the Devils' best PKers.

I think he's a late bloomer, a la Couturier. The similarities (size/skating, playing style, career trajectory, etc) are striking.

So, no, it most definitely is not "essentially" a Hughes for Draisaitl swap.

I stand corrected

He's been removed from the proposal

Reactions: SpeakingOfTheDevils

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
In today’s NHL Boeser is getting at least 6.5-7, Drai is a bargain at 8.5.

Draisaitl and 8 for Horvat and Boeser is absolute insanity. If a division rival comes calling for Leon, - which let’s be serious that’s all this is, they just then flip Draisaitl for 1st - they’d better be prepared to pay through the nose. It’s laughable that OP seems to think Draisaitl is in any way available, never mind in a deal where Edmonton doesn’t get any of 1st overall, Pettersson, or Hischier.

At no point did I say Draisaitl was available

With that said, I couldn't care less if the Oilers plan to keep him or not. I don't make proposals based on what others would do

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Why on earth would the Devils, who have the second most cap space right now, need to offload Schneider’s contract? He may not be worth it right now, and likely never will be again, but he’s just started showing signs of becoming a competent if not spectacular NHL goalie again. He both takes pressure off and provides competition to Blackwood, who will hopefully take over the reins as starter.

And then trading away the #1 pick? Draisaitl’s good but in no way is this an acceptable return for NJ.
You’d take Draisaitl for #1 alone don’t kid yourself.

Dafp

May 3, 2016
UK
You’d take Draisaitl for #1 alone don’t kid yourself.
I’d try to get an add, after all NJ isn’t shopping the pick. Throw in Ethan Bear, or preferably the option to swap picks in 2020 and it’s on. Straight up is a probably, but I don’t see why Edmonton comes to us with this offer.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
So Edmonton swaps Drai, JP, and the 8 for Boeser, Horvat and Tanev while clearing almost 10 million in cap space?

Forgive me if I don't understand the sentiment that Edmonton gets totally bent over?

I wouldn't want to see Drai traded but that doesn't seem entirely terrible at all. That's three immediate impact players, two of which are solid top 6 forwards and another top 4 defenseman.

Kass - McD - Boeser
Nuge - Horvat - Chiasson

Klef - Larsson
Nurse - Tanev
Russell - Gravel/Bear/Jones

Seems more rounded than

Drai - McD - Kass
Lucic - Nuge - Chiasson

Klef - Larsson
Nurse - Sekera

Unless I'm misunderstanding?

Last edited:
Reactions: Neutrinos

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
Zero interest from this Canucks fan. Gutting the core to unite the Hughes boys make no sense

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Horvat and Boeser absolutely can get you the #1 and #8 picks. Horvat and Boeser are both worth more than #8 and less than #1. Throw in the fact that you are guaranteed first line players under the age of 25, the trade is fair in terms of value. The OP isnt a canucks fan im pretty sure.

If Mcdavid and Matthews were the first pick in the draft you would be right. Not in this draft though.

I don’t see New Jersey trading the pick for Boeser or Horvat. Good players, but I don’t see them doing it. The eighth pick is a different story.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
My God picks are so overvalued on here...a 70 point two way center and one of the best faceoff men in the league and a 30 goal scorer in his second season are worth far more than unproven picks. We are completely fine picking Boldy it whoever at 10. Boeser and Horvat aren’t going anywhere. Jack Hughes is not a generational player.

Completely agree with people overvaluing picks, but top ten picks, especially first overall are a different story. When’s the last time we saw the first pick traded outright? I don’t mean traded back to 2,3 or 4, but just moved for a player? I mean, if the OP just proposed Draisaitl for the number one pick, I could probably get on board. I just don’t like how Edmonton gives up the best player in the deal and doesn’t get the number one pick. On top of that they give up the 8th pick.

Personally, I think Edmonton should keep Draisaitl and the 8th pick, Vancouver should keep Horvat and Boeser, and NJ should take Hughes with the first pick. Just makes more sense to me.

Reactions: Dafp

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

With that said, I couldn't care less if the Oilers plan to keep him or not. I don't make proposals based on what others would do

No, you make proposals on what would benefit the Canucks and everyone else can get bent, apparently.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Well that's just a flawed approach to begin with. The first step to making a reasonable proposal is to recognize and consider value and needs of the other teams.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
So Edmonton swaps Drai, JP, and the 8 for Boeser, Horvat and Tanev while clearing almost 10 million in cap space?

Forgive me if I don't understand the sentiment that Edmonton gets totally bent over?

I wouldn't want to see Drai traded but that doesn't seem entirely terrible at all. That's three immediate impact players, two of which are solid top 6 forwards and another top 4 defenseman.

Kass - McD - Boeser
Nuge - Horvat - Chiasson

Klef - Larsson
Nurse - Tanev

Seems more rounded than

Drai - McD - Kass
Lucic - Nuge - Chiasson

Klef - Larsson
Nurse - Sekera

You’re thinking wildly short term. Tanev is a rental, and a very fragile one at that. Edmonton clears cap short term but when Boeser’s new deal kicks in we’re right back where we started, except now we have two B+ players instead of one A+ one and no expansion exempt draft pick.

This deal does a lot of Vancouver and helps them a lot more than it helps us.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
No, you make proposals on what would benefit the Canucks and everyone else can get bent, apparently.

I’ve seen worse trade proposals. Someone on the Sens board proposed Ottawa trades Borowiecki and a third round pick for Brayden Point. I had a good laugh over that one.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
You know, when you put "(Edited)" at the end of a proposal people are going to expect it to at least be decent.

Oilers > #8, Draisaitl, Puljujarvi, Sekera, Gagner
Oilers < Horvat, Boeser, Tanev

Edmonton gives up a top 10 pick, a 50 goal scorer, an injury prone top 4 d-man, a struggling prospect and a player who will be a spending UFA after next season.

In return Edmonton is getting a 2nd line center, an injury prone sniper and an injury prone stay at home d-man.

In what universe does this make sense?
Is Thanos coming for all of the good players and is Edmonton's only choice to tank to survive the apocalypse!?
Take out the 8th overall pick and Edmonton is still getting taken the cleaners in this trade.
#epicfail

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Still god awful for Edmonton after the edit.

Take out the #8 pick and I might still not do it

MIGHT?
MIGHT?!

Just so that we can clear 8.65M in cap space that'll be off the books in 2 seasons? (Gagner 1 year 3.15 + Sekera 2 years 5.5)
Come on, there's no way you're making this trade unless you're a closet Flames fan and just want to see Edmonton burn.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Oh, yay, Tanev. *fart noise* Renting 50 games of Tanev isn’t worth 8+Puljujarvi either and Sekera is not a dump. Still miserable value.

Still a big fat no from Edmonton. I wouldn’t trade Draisaitl for anything either the Devils or the Canucks have - with the *possible* exception of Pettersson but we’d still be worse today.

Would have to be Drai + Lucic for Pettersson otherwise there's no value in the deal for us.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
You’re thinking wildly short term. Tanev is a rental, and a very fragile one at that. Edmonton clears cap short term but when Boeser’s new deal kicks in we’re right back where we started, except now we have two B+ players instead of one A+ one and no expansion exempt draft pick.

Ah the expansion. Fair point. While it is short term, I'd much rather have Horvat and Boeser over whatever new top 10 draft pick they decide on. Horvat I feel is criminally underrated around here, which is why I don't think the value is bad at all.

Contract wise though I guess you're right. Drai's deal is already turning into a score, but I didn't think Boeser would be at the 8 mark yet. With Tanev being able to move down maybe he is at less risk, but I've no idea what he's looking for on his next deal.

Its risky, and I can totally understand why people look at Drai and say f***thatshit. It feels Jarmoesque, and I like it.

Edit: Just wanted to say I love Drai and don't want to see him go anywhere, and I -still- think JP is going to break out in a big way.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016

Draisaitl is a great young player coming off a terrific season, but I'm not sure many would share your opinion that he's an A+ player

I certainly don't, which is why I made the proposal as it is

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010

Kass - McD - Boeser
Nuge - Horvat - Chiasson

Klef - Larsson
Nurse - Tanev

Seems more rounded than

Drai - McD - Kass
Lucic - Nuge - Chiasson

Klef - Larsson
Nurse - Sekera

We could get a 2nd line winger the 8th pick in trade easily and I have no issue playing Sekera in the #4 spot.

Posting Lucic in the top 6 in your scenario was a tad disingenuous

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad