Post-Game Talk: #3: FLYERS 2 at Canucks 3 (2-1 SO), Saturday, Oct. 12, 2019

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I went to the Phantoms game tonight and started watching in the late 2nd onwards.

They looked pretty damn great 5v5, but obviously I understand they were underwhelming earlier.

I was very disappointed with the way they managed the puck in OT. Some reckless plays to give away possession.

I only watched from the second half o the second period on, was basically my impression as well. They had a lot of chances in the third although the Canucks (semi-legally) kept a lot of the shots from bad angles and tied up people in the front of the net pretty well.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
Twar is the man. He'll end up on the 4th line, but he's doing his job. He, Pitlick, and Raffl should make a demon 4th line.

He's getting it done right now. Just don't see a lot of evidence he will be more than run of the mill 4th liner in the long run. It's going to be hard to suppress guys coming through with more skill.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Jake was ass most of the game and that's why his ice time was dropped as he was dropped to 4th line. I didn't see him in OT either, but could be wrong.

As a team, we had more shots in the 3rd than in the 1st and 2nd combined.

And remember, it certainly sounds like multiple players could be under the weather. So that could have played into ice time or how certain guys played.

Anyways...on to the next. Gotta get at least 1 win.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I was in and out on my phone's stream at work, and won't have time tomorrow to rewatch...but man I have to say they still look really f***ing good (from what I saw) and should have won this game.

There's always a handful of these a year. At least a point came out of this one. I've always said this team needs to show me something to be excited about and until then, I expect the trend of mediocrity to not be bucked....but I'm liking what I'm seeing early on and am considering getting excited

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Jake was ass most of the game and that's why his ice time was dropped as he was dropped to 4th line. I didn't see him in OT either, but could be wrong.

As a team, we had more shots in the 3rd than in the 1st and 2nd combined.

And remember, it certainly sounds like multiple players could be under the weather. So that could have played into ice time or how certain guys played.

Anyways...on to the next. Gotta get at least 1 win.
Couturier seemed a little off and didn't get quite as much ice time as I'd expect. He may have been one of the guys under the weather. And maybe Jak was, too, because even though he's been bad in general to start the season, he was extra bad tonight.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
He's getting it done right now. Just don't see a lot of evidence he will be more than run of the mill 4th liner in the long run. It's going to be hard to suppress guys coming through with more skill.
He was their best forward for much of the night. Scored a goal. Was also their best forward for much of the preseason. You need a few of those guys. I agree his future is probably a 4th liner, but he looks like a good one right now. I agree those guys are largely interchangeable, though, so he'll have to keep his energy up. It's a small margin between bottom of the lineup in the NHL and the AHL. But I love what he's done so far.

Reactions: Bob Clarke Fan Club

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It’s impossible for me to be upset about anything to do with the shootout, other than the fact that a shootout occurred.

It’s too fluky to take seriously. We should’ve won long before it got to that point, but luck was against us. No doubt we were the better team.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Even if I think it was small sample and that doesn't thrill me as it pertains to other/future decisions, Twarynski did everything he could to earn his spot out of camp (counterpoint: the Phantoms are a structural mess in developing our prospects and may not actually serve as great evidence one way or another in some cases). I can't act like he's done anything since to prove them wrong.

He's a good N-S skater and has a good shot; that hasn't changed, though it's nice to see he is actually getting chances to use it and not merely having the skill, which are two very different things. But his ability to actually forecheck, not fake forecheck, along with win battles down low to sustain cycles has been good. His physicality has actually helped play. He makes the odd surprising exit/entry pass too that I would've thought were above his pay grade.

We'll see if he sustains it, but hopefully it becomes interesting, when we assemble our real 3rd line with Farabee and eventually Patrick, who the odd man out is on the 4th line wing. Each one has his merits. Again, I'm so not concerned about our (future) 4th line. It'd be hard to f*** up.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Watched most of the game!

-Flyers were by far the better team most of the night, especially 2nd onward
- the Young guns and new comers are carrying this team rn.
- to my Previous point Voracek, JVR, Ghost and even Giroux/Couts need to pick it up
- thought Provorov was very good this game. Created a good number of chances with his shot

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Even if I think it was small sample and that doesn't thrill me as it pertains to other/future decisions, Twarynski did everything he could to earn his spot out of camp (counterpoint: the Phantoms are a structural mess in developing our prospects and may not actually serve as great evidence one way or another in some cases). I can't act like he's done anything since to prove them wrong.

He's a good N-S skater and has a good shot; that hasn't changed, though it's nice to see he is actually getting chances to use it and not merely having the skill, which are two very different things. But his ability to actually forecheck, not fake forecheck, along with win battles down low to sustain cycles has been good. His physicality has actually helped play. He makes the odd surprising exit/entry pass too that I would've thought were above his pay grade.

We'll see if he sustains it, but hopefully it becomes interesting, when we assemble our real 3rd line with Farabee and eventually Patrick, who the odd man out is on the 4th line wing. Each one has his merits. Again, I'm so not concerned about our (future) 4th line. It'd be hard to **** up.
That's a good point. Twar doesn't fake forecheck (and neither does Pitlick) something we haven't seen enough of with the Flyers the last few seasons and something sorely needed.

He's won me over so far, and I didn't like the draft pick at the time. Again, the Flyers' scouts seem to know what they're doing. Twar also has surprised me with a better-than-I-thought skill level.

He plays the right way, gives them a dimension they need, and seems to keep improving. I've seen guys like this end up fizzling out before, but as of now he's showing a lot of reasons for optimism. There's late-bloomer potential here.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Got back from my first live game ever! Such a good time even though the flyers lost, they played way better in the 3rd, really entertaining game. Also lots of Flyers fans in Vancouver I was surprised!

Rogers Arena got pretty hyped in the 3rd but was reaaally quiet in 1st and 2nd.

I was there too and I was surprised by how many people were wearing Flyers jerseys. I even heard some "Let's go Flyers" chants, though that was only a few people. Was my first time at Vancouver, though I've been to games in Montreal many times. It's not as loud as in Montreal, but the crowd was still pretty energetic and it was a fun experience.

Illini Flyer

Jan 30, 2019
Near St Louis
Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone know how many pro shootout situations Hart has been in? Also, how did he look? (Living in the midwest sucks)

OzFlyers

Registered Boozer
Jul 3, 2011
Australia
I was there too and I was surprised by how many people were wearing Flyers jerseys. I even heard some "Let's go Flyers" chants, though that was only a few people. Was my first time at Vancouver, though I've been to games in Montreal many times. It's not as loud as in Montreal, but the crowd was still pretty energetic and it was a fun experience.
I went to a game at Rogers 4 years ago (McDavids's second game) and found it louder outside the arena then inside!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad