Post-Game Talk: #3: FLYERS 2 at Canucks 3 (2-1 SO), Saturday, Oct. 12, 2019

marcsson68

Jan 23, 2018
Professional hockey coaches drastically overused Hagg last year when he was in contention for worst overall dman in the entire league, so that's not the best standard. Let's not forget we also have Morin, it's not like Myers is the only option.

He has not been overall reliable and solid. He's been getting victimized. Teams are generating tons of chances when he's on the ice. We are practically a man down when he is playing because he is so poor at stopping the other team from doing things. He is one of the worst in the NHL at doing that, meaning he is one of the worst defenders in the league. He is not like any other 6/7 dman, because he is worse than almost every other 6/7 dman too.

He's been lucky. Hence his absurdly high 105 PDO which contrasts with abysmal numbers everywhere else. Just like last year he will crash down again, and likely quite soon. Let's hope AV is more observant than last year's bunch.

I was in Prague and your story is not true. Hägg had one or two what you would call „typical“ moments. Rest was fine. Provy was our worst d-man. I agree though that there is a high chance he will not hold the present level because he obviously has to give 120% to compete in the NHL. Should give the guy credit for that, because many of the more talented players don‘t do the same.

Morin is a good example that proves my point. As anyone else I hope he will turn his fate around but don‘t preoccupation guide your perception. Yet he hasn‘t been better than Hägg.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I wonder if simply switching Hayes and Coots would help kickstart G and V.

After three games, Lindblom and TK are the ones I’d be more hesitant to split. They are showing some good chemistry.
I think keeping Giroux and Voracek together is a big mistake. It's a waste to have your two best playmakers together, with no finishers for them to set up.

Giroux needs someone to finish his chances... that's why he has only one point so far. He's playing great but people keep whiffing and wasting his setups. That's why he was so insanely good with Couturier and TK the past two years.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I was in Prague and your story is not true. Hägg had one or two what you would call „typical“ moments. Rest was fine. Provy was our worst d-man. I agree though that there is a high chance he will not hold the present level because he obviously has to give 120% to compete in the NHL. Should give the guy credit for that, because many of the more talented players don‘t do the same.

Morin is a good example that proves my point. As anyone else I hope he will turn his fate around but don‘t preoccupation guide your perception. Yet he hasn‘t been better than Hägg.

Every metric points to Hagg being the exact same Hagg as he was last year.

Morin has only ever outperformed Hagg at every level. Including when they were both in the NHL. He was better this preseason too. You're putting makeup on a pig. I'm not exaggerating when I say this: You're going to bat for a bottom-5 dman in the league. There is absolutely no downside to trying any number of other players in his spot. You don't seem to realize how low the bar for improvement is.

Reactions: lancer247

marcsson68

Jan 23, 2018
You are as picky about what I wrote as you are in analyzing Hägg in games 1 to 3.

Cutting out one sentence / scene.

It‘s not worth debating. I am not an admirer of Robert Hägg nor do I see a future hall of famer in him. I am just not that one-sided negative on some and one-sided positive on other players.

Everybody is free to keep seeing what he wants to see.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Hagg has been fine so far. Not good, not bad. Just ok.
He's still easily replaceable, but right now he doesn't make us worse. I don't think Morin has a future with this team anyway at this point and with the way Myers has been playing I'm ok with having him earn that spot.
I think AV really likes Myers, but doesn't want to gift him a spot in the lineup just because there aren't better alternatives.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
You are as picky about what I wrote as you are in analyzing Hägg in games 1 to 3.

Cutting out one sentence / scene.

It‘s not worth debating. I am not an admirer of Robert Hägg nor do I see a future hall of famer in him. I am just not that one-sided negative on some and one-sided positive on other players.

Everybody is free to keep seeing what he wants to see.
It's like saying Joel Farabee might probably be more talented than Bunnaman. It's a ridiculous statement.

Should we analyze another sentence / scene?

It is impossible to dress six defenders with all star quality.
WTF does that even mean? You shouldn't even try to dress the best lineup possible? No one is asking for 6 all-stars.

No one is analyzing Hagg solely on 1-3 games. This is a continuous theme. The team's shot share is firmly in the red when he is on the ice. Not over a few games or one season. It's every single month of this guy's career. Like he's so far off the charts that he can't even fluke into a passable month. He's not an NHL player, no matter how much lipstick you want to put on him or scoff at his impact on games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad