Post-Game Talk: #3: FLYERS 2 at Canucks 3 (2-1 SO), Saturday, Oct. 12, 2019

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Honestly? All things considered? Happy with that point. They looked gassed, fumbled passes all night long, had some weird pinches from the defense (ahem), just threw the puck around in the OZ assuming someone was going when he really wasn't.

Everybody pack your Bully Sticks, it's on to Cowtown.

tkachuk.jpg
Stud

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Flyers have pretty consistently this season started off with a mediocre but low scoring 1st, then roared back in the 2nd and 3rd. I could do with less dump and chase, which requires some more talent as well, but the overall process has been sound.

Most of the kids are playing phenomenal right now (PP too!) -- who said Konecny's contract was an overpay again? What a beaut. But the first line is just lacking something to me, despite posting great underlying numbers. Jake wasn't playing well (and I don't love him with Giroux to begin with), but the line basically performed identically without him. I know the Lindblom-Couturier-Konecny line is killing it, but I certainly wouldn't mind reuniting Giroux with Coots. I feel like they both have more to give with each other. Not expecting that next game though.

Kind of a weird night when JVR leads all forwards in 5v5 ice time, although his lines were consistently good, and Braun leads everyone in 5v5 time (not as good at a 39 xGF%). Good job by Twarynski popping his cherry too, but if we could just bump down our 3rd line to the 4th, we'd be golden. We have a lot of good 4th liners on this team, said in both positive and negative connotation. Also, send Hagg to the Phantom Zone (the interdimensional DC Comics prison, NOT located in Lehigh Valley). And I'd like to see more Provorov-Ghost shifts on offensive zone starts, etc.

Last edited:

Angry Hockey Dad

Eat up Johnny
May 30, 2013
Canada
Hayes went before TK, Couts, Ghost, hagg whiffing a shot from center Ice, etc... what the f***. The shootout is f***ing stupid so who cares. This game was frustrating as hell to watch but I’m drunk so maybe it’s just me :booboo:

Reactions: Amorgus

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Voracek really needs to get going here.

Giroux looked good. Konecny has been fire.

Not upset. They battled back hard, owned the 3rd and tied it, got a point out West with horrible travel and apparently some players sick.

Niskanen was awesome. Still can't believe some thought he was a downgrade from Gudas.
seriously. Niskanen has been a major upgrade. Gudas, while he was good, was pretty inconsistent season to season and doesn't have the passing/iq niskanen does. He has played less and has a lesser role (not playing against top lines like in wsh) so its suiting him more.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Welp... they definitely deserved to win that one but no luck. Time to make adjustments.

I'm not going to harp on about it the line/pair changes that I think are needed or about calling up the kids, I've made that clear and this game has convinced me of my arguments validity more than ever, HOWEVER what I will say is that I find it extremely strange that they're rolling the lines so evenly when they've made the forward core so incredibly top heavy. If you're going to set the lines up like this then at least skew the icetime appropriately. Surely they must see the drastic difference between the top 6 and bottom 6.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I understand wanting TK in the shootout because he's really hot right now, but also........ I think people are forgetting what Konecny has looked like in the shootout in his previous attempts. Which is absolutely horrible. I don't mind Hayes there.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
With AV and Michael Terrein etc coaching you kind of suspected someone would get Chateau le Mutt and Voracek was a leading candidate. It will be interesting to see if him and JVR bounce back or get more fleas. Love the 3rd period energy and heart. 3 games in can I say Hagg has been fine and was used on last 4 on 3 PK and was solid. TK's contract when he signed it I admit I groaned over the length. But man has he looked good!

Reactions: marcsson68

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I can honestly say gudas has never had as good a game as niskanen just had
I've long called him one of the most underrated defensemen in the entire league. He's a fantastic player and a clear two tiers above Gudas.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
P.S. I've given it some thought, and I still don't like the PP1 set-up. But who does? Please put Giroux and Voracek on their correct sides. I'd like to see Konecny tried in the slot too, though again, I understand them not breaking up what has been a super productive 2nd unit. I wouldn't mind Couturier swapping with Hayes too though. Or even Lindblom. It's just so awkward to watch what was a natural unit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad