Post-Game Talk: #3: FLYERS 2 at Canucks 3 (2-1 SO), Saturday, Oct. 12, 2019

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Just because the other team also played bad, doesnt mean anything. We did nothing the first 2 periods, and we were just lucky VAN did as well. So yes, we are lucky to get 1 point out of this one
We didn't play bad but they were rusty as hell. Flyers new system will outplay mostly every team

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Just because the other team also played bad, doesnt mean anything. We did nothing the first 2 periods, and we were just lucky VAN did as well. So yes, we are lucky to get 1 point out of this one

I thought we were fine in the 2nd period.

1st period was sluggish and sloppy.

3rd we dominated. Vancouver is just as fortunate to get a point considering Sanheim hit the post with a minute left in regulation.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Ah so nothing again
Can't now but AV giving V 2 shifts shows he's pissed already. Fletcher is giving this group a chance under new coaches and except for JVR and V the rest are playing hard and will get better with some f***in games under the belt. Sucks they gotta wait two more days again

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
So hey all. Was camping this weekend and didn’t see the game. Honestly am being lazy and don’t want to read every comment.

sooo. How did they look?
first period both teams played sloppy. Van PKed our one PP well. The goal by van was a little bit of a bad bounce on a broken play. We hit a post I think.

2nd period...more of the same. I'd say we were 60/40 outplaying them. 1st unit pp looked good...hit a post.

3rd period was like the prior two games. 85/15 possession. Vancouver got better last 3rd of the 3rd.

OT was lame. Van was slightly better. Looked slow.

Reactions: Rebels57

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Only 3 games in and I already have to update my OT ice time spreadsheet with a full 5 minutes of shifts. Not much fun after a loss.

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
So hey all. Was camping this weekend and didn’t see the game. Honestly am being lazy and don’t want to read every comment.

sooo. How did they look?

IMO:
Poor execution early on but not disastrous, improved as the night went on. Canucks had an easy time attacking in the first but that dissipated as the Flyers stiffened their defense. PK looked good, PP had brief flashes but generally did not. Hart gave up longer and more frequent rebounds than I'm used to seeing but looked solid overall, his counterpart played better but also had a little more luck on his side.

Didn't get horribly jobbed by the refs, generally good flow until the holding started in the 3rd, and Vancouver's young guys are fun to watch skate. I thought it was an entertaining game.

Reactions: VladDrag

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I support Voracek overall and I oppose trading him unless we get amazing value that we can use immediately or nearly immediately.

That said I completely understand why anyone would be exasperated and want him hauled out. It reminds me of Giants' fans experience with Eli Manning. With both, you never knew/know if you were going to be seeing something great or something really stupid on a play-to-play basis. Or, even some amazing play that serves to achieve a stupid end.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I wonder if simply switching Hayes and Coots would help kickstart G and V.

After three games, Lindblom and TK are the ones I’d be more hesitant to split. They are showing some good chemistry.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
I saw a game now... solid road game, we got at least one point. Now we need 2 points from B2B.

And our schedule is absolutely trash. From USA to Switzerland, to Prague, to Philly for one game, to west Canada... are they idiots in NHL management or what? Guys must be f***ing tired...

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
2-0-1

Yet Giroux, Couts, Jake, JVR and Ghost have a combined 2 points. We know that will not continue.

Given the crazy travel and and now possibly a cold/flu going thru the team, it's a good start.

But all 3 games, we looked poor in the 1st period, looked way better in the 2nd and then dominated the 3rd. Gotta come out better to start games but the travel/health could also play a part. Gotta get 1 win from the next 2 games.

Oh...and please let G go back to the left on the PP. I understand wanting to create options, but now we are not ever going to that setup, and he look way worse.

marcsson68

Jan 23, 2018
I see his good moments. I see his bad moments. The bad moments are far more frequent, and are far worse then the good is beneficial. He blows.

The point is there is always a lot of one-sided criticizm about the 6th/7th defenseman and there is always a lot of biased optimism about certain talents.

Sometimes it is justified, sometimes exaggerated. Usually the truth is somewhere in between. So I agree that Myers might probably be the more talented player. But he messed it up during preseason. Hägg was still Hägg in the first three games but overall reliable and solid. PK was ok. Plus: It is impossible to dress six defenders with all star quality.

Let‘s agree that professional hockey coaches might have an idea what they are doing in preferring Hägg over Myers at the moment and that a majority of sports fans posting in a hockey forum can be wrong from time to time.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The point is there is always a lot of one-sided criticizm about the 6th/7th defenseman and there is always a lot of biased optimism about certain talents.

Sometimes it is justified, sometimes exaggerated. Usually the truth is somewhere in between. So I agree that Myers might probably be the more talented player. But he messed it up during preseason. Hägg was still Hägg in the first three games but overall reliable and solid. PK was ok. Plus: It is impossible to dress six defenders with all star quality.

Let‘s agree that professional hockey coaches might have an idea what they are doing in preferring Hägg over Myers at the moment and that a majority of sports fans posting in a hockey forum can be wrong from time to time.

Professional hockey coaches drastically overused Hagg last year when he was in contention for worst overall dman in the entire league, so that's not the best standard. Let's not forget we also have Morin, it's not like Myers is the only option.

He has not been overall reliable and solid. He's been getting victimized. Teams are generating tons of chances when he's on the ice. We are practically a man down when he is playing because he is so poor at stopping the other team from doing things. He is one of the worst in the NHL at doing that, meaning he is one of the worst defenders in the league. He is not like any other 6/7 dman, because he is worse than almost every other 6/7 dman too.

He's been lucky. Hence his absurdly high 105 PDO which contrasts with abysmal numbers everywhere else. Just like last year he will crash down again, and likely quite soon. Let's hope AV is more observant than last year's bunch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad