3-1 Habs vs Nucks Won it for Béliveau Edition

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa
Bournival helps in this department. Even if he doesn't show up on the stat sheet, he keeps the opposition on their heals and exhausts them.

That not to mention that Bournival had all of 12 minutes prior to this game all year. Let's give him a chance to shake off the rust plus he certainly brings the defensive responsibility to that line.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
A good win but Vancity was out of gas at the end of their trip.

MTL needs to start capitalizing on scoring chances. Really shouldn't have even been close.

The PP needs fixing. This is beyond stupid at this point.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
The highlight of the night was in the pregame when the light on Mr. Beliveau's seat dimmed.

Great symbolism.

Also at the end, Plekanec giving the puck to Dr. Mulder to give to Mrs. Beliveau.

And finally, that eerie silent introduction with no music and total darkness.

The game was irrelevant as long as the Habs won. I fell asleep and didn't see the first two goals in the game. But tonight was one of these nights that prove that this organisation is special, as is the link between it and the fans.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I can't help but wonder what a top line of Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Vanek would do to competition.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
If tonight was any indication, I would say Galchenyuk has been ready to be a centre in the NHL for a while now.

The absolute earliest he was ready is this year in preseason. So at most, Therrien was 25 games late. That's not bad at all. Glachenyuk needed to get stronger, faster, and more experienced--and he did. he's ready now. So, even though I was ready to see him at center earlier in the year, Therrien and Bergvin did well the last two years so overall they did well.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
What top 6 RW's are out there for Bergevin to snag? Probably the biggest need for this team right now assuming Therrien plays the best defensemen at his disposal.

Allen is too slow to support this team. That's why Murray was not brought back. Habs have an impressive record with Beaulieu playing

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Allen is too slow to support this team. That's why Murray was not brought back. Habs have an impressive record with Beaulieu playing

Beaulieu has been very good, and I think his style blended well with Gilbert. They weren't out muscled and exited the zone with relative ease. Will be curious to see them together on the road where they dont' get favourable matchups, but thankfully they're at home for another 4 so that's not an issue right now.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
The highlight of the night was in the pregame when the light on Mr. Beliveau's seat dimmed.

Great symbolism.

Also at the end, Plekanec giving the puck to Dr. Mulder to give to Mrs. Beliveau.

And finally, that eerie silent introduction with no music and total darkness.

The game was irrelevant as long as the Habs won. I fell asleep and didn't see the first two goals in the game. But tonight was one of these nights that prove that this organization is special, as is the link between it and the fans.

Absolutely true. I sensed this as a child watching the dynasties of the seventies. With this franchise there is a mystique, a class, a pride and a tradition of excellence, that includes a unique relationship with the fans that frankly has no equal in all of professional sport. Of course I am biased ;)

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Seriously, when was the last time we had a centre that could cut and deke like Chucky? Once he gets his scoring touch he'll be a pig player or more. He dominated out there and was easily the best player on the ice tonight. He and Patches are going to score a LOT of goals together.

DD actually had a decent game, safe for the 2 **** ups on the PP etc. Paired with PAP and Bournival, that line looked good. Seriously have to wonder what happens when Eller gets back at this point.

Emelin reminds me of Zoolander in that he has a deficiency with the left side. He can't hit and seems out of sorts on his "natural" side. I think he'd be better off on the right side again with N8 on his left. I know this messes up all the pairings but seriously, he's been terri-bad.

Ghetto looks to be the real deal. 2 points in 2 games and he looks really comfortable so far. Doubt it last all season and its most likely a high from being called up but his skill is very apparent and he could do well on this team in the not too distant future.

N8 had a great game and is a better option than Allen, Weaver or Ginchar. Never should have been demoted if he was given more ice time. Once Bergevin makes a move to clear a spot for N8, I see Tinner moving back into the lineup. He was given another opportunity and he ran with it and looked good tonight and made better decisions than some of the vets, Gonchar included. How is he pinching with 1 min left while protecting the lead? Better question was why was DD on the ice with a minute left in the game?

MT continues to win despite himself even though he finally achieved a decent lineup playing the blender game. Hope he's seen the light and doesn't fall back to his comfort zone of dd and Patches again.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Yep, shout out to Gilbert who has played very well lately, especially tonight. At least he can skate

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
The absolute earliest he was ready is this year in preseason. So at most, Therrien was 25 games late. That's not bad at all. Glachenyuk needed to get stronger, faster, and more experienced--and he did. he's ready now. So, even though I was ready to see him at center earlier in the year, Therrien and Bergvin did well the last two years so overall they did well.

How DARE you defend Therrien. :sarcasm:

I don't think there was anyone who could have actually ruined Chucky... he's that good. Playing center would have actually sped his development as a center-man instead of all this soul searching on the wing.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Well honestly, we can't be certain that MT didn't have pressure from those with frontal lobes who rule on a higher plane.

But in any case, the entire team looked better. I'm so happy they were able to honor Beliveau with a win.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
A good win but Vancity was out of gas at the end of their trip.

MTL needs to start capitalizing on scoring chances. Really shouldn't have even been close.

The PP needs fixing. This is beyond stupid at this point.

On the 5-3..I had no idea why PK-Markov were still playing by the blue line with so much space in front of them.

Galchenyuk played a great game at center. Our best at the Faceoffs too with 62%..

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
We need to somehow assemble a dangerous 2nd line with Pleks at center. Things are getting kind of crowded at forward.

With the way the Sekac------Eller------Prust line was playing before Eller's injury, I think they need to stay together when Eller comes back.

I also love Bourni-----Malhotra----Wiese as a 4th line. That's some serious speed.

With the new Galchy line, I think that gives us 3 really good units. They all fit their roles perfectly but we need some secondary scoring.

We are left with a combination of Pleks,DD,Parenteau, and now Ghetto.

Can DD play wing? is Ghetto ready for a top 6 role? Can Parenteau find some consistency in his game? These are the guys in the hot seat IMO. This will be a very interesting stretch of hockey...

bigtimehockeyfan999*

When I said we need a RW people ignored that saying a LW and a C can be enough to compensate. We still need a RW.

BuaC8XVIcAA24b8-600x600.jpg

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
On the 5-3..I had no idea why PK-Markov were still playing by the blue line with so much space in front of them.

Galchenyuk played a great game at center. Our best at the Faceoffs too with 62%..

Haha. We think a like. I was literally screaming "close in."

I will add, how long it took them to get on there one time sides and why they didn't just start there

Habs_Apostle

Feb 22, 2004

It's not just that, there are managerial mandates and player egos to navigate. You can't just take a young player and throw him in any old position on a whim. Others have mentioned this, but there is a pecking order and steps that players are expected to take. If you ignore those, you'll ruffle feathers and who knows the repercussions for team chemistry and morale. I think the youngins are being brought along as well as you could expect, really.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
How DARE you defend Therrien. :sarcasm:

I don't think there was anyone who could have actually ruined Chucky... he's that good. Playing center would have actually sped his development as a center-man instead of all this soul searching on the wing.

Chucky is a different player this year. We could see it whether he was on the wing or at center. He's stronger, faster, and more aware. We were a contending team last year (went to the conference finals). Pacioretty-Desharnais-Vanek line was on fire going into the playoffs. I don't think Chucky was used improperly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad