2nd Cup affect Ovechkin's legacy/ all-time ranking?

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
How can one of the best players ever have 11 ACTIVE players ahead of him in assists? Half of them playing even less games than him too. Great goalscorer. Good player overall, not great.
Because he has almost 750 goals? It isn't his fault that other guys can't put the puck in the net while he collects garbage secondaries to your liking.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
2nd cup? lol

that first cup has an asterisk next to it (won against an expansion team lol)
After beating the absolute best in the East and an expansion team that beat the living crap out of every team it faced in the West. Vegas was HEAVILY favoured in 2018. Terrible take.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
They have more cups, more points and better PPG. More international success...
Ovechin has played 400+ less games than each of them. Then we compare individual hardware and he absolutely blows both of them out of the water combined.

Dude no one thinks they're better than Ovi.

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
Ovechin has played 400+ less games than each of them. Then we compare individual hardware and he absolutely blows both of them out of the water combined.

Dude no one thinks they're better than Ovi.
Less games which is why I mentioned PPG. More games and better PPG tells me something...OV sure isnt scoring at a higher clip than he’s at now for the duration of his career. The gap will widen

Reactions: Dessloch

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
Because he has almost 750 goals? It isn't his fault that other guys can't put the puck in the net while he collects garbage secondaries to your liking.
Doesn’t even have an assist every other game and when you take into account the amount of shots on goal that he gets, there aren’t even goals being scored off rebounds for him to get assists. Great goal scorer. Slightly better than Hull who no one would say was nearly as good as SY and Sakic. Thanks for the debate though. You brought nothing to the table.

Reactions: wetcoast

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
Great goal scorer. Slightly better than Hull who no one would say was nearly as good as SY and Sakic.

I am confused here. If you mean that Bobby Hull, then yeah, one can say OV is slightly better, especially as a goal-scorer - but who in the world thinks Yzerman and Sakic were better than Bobby Hull?
If you mean Brett Hull, who was not better than Sakic and Yzerman - well, OV has more goal-scoring titles than Brett has top10 finishes in goals. And that's before we start talking about points, Harts, etc.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If Ovie breaks the Gretzky's goalscoring record, I think he will have a case for 5th best player of all-time behind the Big Four (Gretzky, Orr, Lemieux, Howe).

The chances of him beating the record is slim and yes some will make the argument for 5th all time but it will be quite a weak one based on goalscoring and little else.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Slightly better than Bret Hull :laugh:, who was a 3X First Team All-Star and 0 time Second Team All-Star and peaked at a much higher goal scoring era. Some of you are just silly.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Gordie Howe, Bobby Hull, Maurice Richard and Jaromir Jagr are the only other Wingers that even belong in the same discussion as Ovechkin.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It's not like Ovechkin hasn't produced in the playoffs. He's one of the greatest goalscorers of all time.

All the first round exits and one Cup win in spite of having him and Backstrom for 15 years is more of an indictment of the Caps than Ovie.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
He objectively is, there is zero argument for Sakic and Yzerman over Ovechkin. It isn`t that close either.
There is no "objectively" when you're comparing a goal-scoring winger to two centers, and from different eras.

They have different priorities and responsibilities.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
It's not like Ovechkin hasn't produced in the playoffs. He's one of the greatest goalscorers of all time.

All the first round exits and one Cup win in spite of having him and Backstrom for 15 years is more of an indictment of the Caps than Ovie.
It's hilarious how obvious the bias shows for people when they talk down on Ovechkin because of the Caps playoff failures.

I would still say Crosby is the best playoff performer since him and Ovi stepped into this league, but Ovechkin is not that far behind.
-> Ovi is the best playoff goalscorer since he came into the league
-> Ovi is still 3rd in points in the playoffs since he came into the league
-> Ovi has lead the Caps in goals AND points in 3 more post-seasons than Crosby has for the Pens (shows that Ovechkin has been the more important offensive player relative to his team)
-> 1st in playoff hits amongst forwards since he came into the league (13% more than #2 in way less games, and 30% more than #3)
-> People will shit on Ovechkin for not having an overtime goal in the playoffs, but fail to realize how random of a nit-pick that is. Malkin and Crosby each only have 1, despite both playing like 20% more games in the playoffs. Yet no-one has ever shit on them for that.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
It's hilarious how obvious the bias shows for people when they talk down on Ovechkin because of the Caps playoff failures.

I would still say Crosby is the best playoff performer since him and Ovi stepped into this league, but Ovechkin is not that far behind.
-> Ovi is the best playoff goalscorer since he came into the league
-> Ovi is still 3rd in points in the playoffs since he came into the league
-> Ovi has lead the Caps in goals AND points in 3 more post-seasons than Crosby has for the Pens (shows that Ovechkin has been the more important offensive player relative to his team)
-> 1st in playoff hits amongst forwards since he came into the league (13% more than #2 in way less games, and 30% more than #3)
-> People will shit on Ovechkin for not having an overtime goal in the playoffs, but fail to realize how random of a nit-pick that is. Malkin and Crosby each only have 1, despite both playing like 20% more games in the playoffs. Yet no-one has ever shit on them for that.

Ovechkin has led his team in goal-scoring in the playoffs nine times - no player in NHL history has done that more.

He's also led his team in points in the playoffs nine times - something topped only by Gretzky (14x) and Howe (10x).

Using a minimum of 50 games, only three players in NHL history have scored a higher percentage of their team's playoff goals than Ovechkin (Neely, Drillon, and Lemieux). Only six players have got a goal or assist on a higher percentage of their team's playoff goals (Gretzky, Lemieux, Hull, Sakic, Kucherov, and Crosby).

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Ovechkin has led his team in goal-scoring in the playoffs nine times - no player in NHL history has done that more.

He's also led his team in points in the playoffs nine times - something topped only by Gretzky (14x) and Howe (10x).

Using a minimum of 50 games, only three players in NHL history have scored a higher percentage of their team's playoff goals than Ovechkin (Neely, Drillon, and Lemieux). Only six players have got a goal or assist on a higher percentage of their team's playoff goals (Gretzky, Lemieux, Hull, Sakic, Kucherov, and Crosby).
I had no idea about any of those stats, thanks for sharing! It's just so crazy how there are stats like that and people still act like Ovechkin is/was the problem.

Do you mind sharing how you found those stats? I'd be interested in looking into those rankings.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I had no idea about any of those stats, thanks for sharing! It's just so crazy how there are stats like that and people still act like Ovechkin is/was the problem.

Do you mind sharing how you found those stats? I'd be interested in looking into those rankings.

Sure, it's from this thread - All-Time Playoff Data - note that I haven't updated the thread for 2021 yet, but the numbers I posted here are the most up to date.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
The fact Ovechkin fans have to focus so much on strictly stats is very revealing as to his overall play. They also won't comprehend this concept but are almost certain to dig into their same shtick in response. Just watch.

Reactions: wetcoast

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The fact Ovechkin fans have to focus so much on strictly stats is very revealing as to his overall play. They also won't comprehend this concept but are almost certain to dig into their same shtick in response. Just watch.
Hard to counter against people who just make stuff up and talk out their "you know what".

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Hard to counter against people who just make stuff up and talk out their "you know what".

Yeah but I don't worry about those people though I don't know what it has to do with this topic and conversation.

You want a show? No hockey player beat this 6.3M audience

You actually think that means or proves anything? If anything it proves my POV. Thanks for that.

Randyne

May 20, 2012
You actually think that means or proves anything? If anything it proves my POV. Thanks for that.
Most views ever is also his stats number, but it disproves your quote "fans have to focus so much on strictly stats", because the video based on strictly his play, not stats.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad