2nd Cup affect Ovechkin's legacy/ all-time ranking?

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Most views ever is also his stats number, but it disproves your quote "fans have to focus so much on strictly stats", because the video based on strictly his play, not stats.

What does it prove though? Like does this really need to be explained to you?

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
That his play is the biggest show on (hockey) Earth. Like someone from NHL executive said "Ovi sells tickets and a lot of great players don't sell one".

Interesting. He was a very fun player to watch when he first joined the league other then his dirty illegal hits.

In any event stuff like this has nothing to do with being a complete and overall player which is a requirement to be considered one of the best of all time. It really is that basic.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
One of the best goal scorers ever and has a chip. Why would he need another one? That's just ice on the cake.

Randyne

May 20, 2012
the nuances and intricacies of the game
Yep it's exactly what I'm saying. Abstract unmeasurable and unmemorable BS, with time it's impact on the legacy is going to disappear. Mostly because the media hype from so called hockey gurus is too short and dumb. Have a nice night too.

Reactions: JasonRoseEh

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Yep it's exactly what I'm saying. Abstract unmeasurable and unmemorable BS, with time it's impact on the legacy is going to disappear. Mostly because the media hype from so called hockey gurus is too short and dumb. Have a nice night too.

Yep, players who are all media hype will be better analyzed once the hype is gone and reality kicks in. The fans who clamour about how great they are will move on to another idol and all will be right in the hockey world.

Randyne

May 20, 2012
If you're gonna judge the quality of something, at least don't go by mass consumption to back your point
All right then. Let's again back up with strictly stats.
Only two players in NHL history have more GPG and PPG top finishes than Ovechkin.
zca57Dd.png

Also his hardware is one of the best ever.
UvHfqQZ.jpg

But after these facts haters usually switch to silent mode.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I guess after 13 pages we can all conclude that winning a 2nd SC (at age 36 next season almost certainly isn’t going to happen) wouldn’t change anyone’s mind right?

Ovi’s legacy is already set.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
All right then. Let's again back up with strictly stats.
Only two players in NHL history have more GPG and PPG top finishes than Ovechkin.
zca57Dd.png

Also his hardware is one of the best ever.
UvHfqQZ.jpg

But after these facts haters usually switch to silent mode.

I wasn't commenting on Ovechkin's legacy at all. Just that bringing up the number of YouTube viewers on a hockey forum is a silly way to make a point.

Reactions: evolutionbaby

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I don't know you, but your reaction to his stats was worrisome.

What reaction was that exactly? Let's take this opportunity to understand each other better as I really do not know to what you refer. Relying purely on stats is something I think is folly.

Randyne

May 20, 2012
Relying on stats is folly, relying on play is silly. What's left? Can you tell me?

Just that bringing up the number of YouTube viewers on a hockey forum is a silly way to make a point.

Do not make things up. It wasn't just numbers, there is also a video of his play, and that was the answer to a person who said something like this "Relying on stats is folly" ok, now watch the biggest hockey show on youtube.

Last edited:

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
There is no "objectively" when you're comparing a goal-scoring winger to two centers, and from different eras.

They have different priorities and responsibilities.
Sure there is when one is more decorated than both combined. He is objectively the better player with the better career and legacy.

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Doesn’t even have an assist every other game and when you take into account the amount of shots on goal that he gets, there aren’t even goals being scored off rebounds for him to get assists. Great goal scorer. Slightly better than Hull who no one would say was nearly as good as SY and Sakic. Thanks for the debate though. You brought nothing to the table.
Yet he's led his team in points as many times in his career as Crosby has. Also, the shot thing is such a nonsensical issue to bring up that actually hurts any point you're trying to make. This isn't the NBA, guys struggle to get 2 shots on net let alone 6. Much better goal scorer than Hull and far more decorated than every player you just mentioned combine. Hull has 3 MVP's? Good to know...

The one who's getting crushed here is you bud.

Reactions: Randyne

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
Ovechkin has led his team in goal-scoring in the playoffs nine times - no player in NHL history has done that more.

He's also led his team in points in the playoffs nine times - something topped only by Gretzky (14x) and Howe (10x).

Using a minimum of 50 games, only three players in NHL history have scored a higher percentage of their team's playoff goals than Ovechkin (Neely, Drillon, and Lemieux). Only six players have got a goal or assist on a higher percentage of their team's playoff goals (Gretzky, Lemieux, Hull, Sakic, Kucherov, and Crosby).
Boom.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I wasn't commenting on Ovechkin's legacy at all. Just that bringing up the number of YouTube viewers on a hockey forum is a silly way to make a point.

That other poster using views on youtube to try and prove a point reminds me of the time a poster tried to justify why Forsberg was the best ever by showing a highlight of him scoring a goal on a video game. The logic some people try to espouse is unfathomable at times.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Sure there is when one is more decorated than both combined. He is objectively the better player with the better career and legacy.
That's not objectively no matter how many times you keep calling it that.

They play different positions, different eras. There is no objectively.

Reactions: jetsforever

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Damn now Ovi has to win two cups to get recognition? … … …
This is the way it's been for his whole career. The guy has double the individual accolades as Yzerman and Sakic put together, yet there's a thread where like 25% of the voters say he's not as great as either of those two.

Ovechkin's legacy is already set as the best goalscorer of all-time and having a peak that was only objectively surpassed by the big-4.

Randyne

May 20, 2012
That other poster using views on youtube to try and prove a point reminds
Are you blind or your browser can't show posted video in the comments? See the video in the comment of his play. His play is the answer to your comment "how silly is relying on stats". You don't like his stats (one of the best ever) so please see his play (the best power forward play ever).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad