Post-Game Talk: #29 - 12/8/19 | RANGERS @ golden knights

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
When the "chatter" started about him, I watched some Peg games to get a sense of him....I don't ever recall him playing this well....as a matter of fact, I didn't think it would work out well at all..

I have watched a ton of Winnpeg games over the years due to combination of my love for hockey and my involvement of in fantasy hockey for the past 22 years which by the way is one of the greatest inventions on this great planet of ours(LOL) and like you, though I saw snipets at times from Trouba of being Dman who could be a top pairing guy, due to the situation he was in in Winnipeg, he really never got the opportunity to show what he could potentially do.

He had Big Buff ahead of him on the totem pole and for a few years even a Tobias Enstrom was blocking him from getting on the #1 PP so his point totals never really added up. Finally last year due to Buff's injury which kept him out most of the year and Enstrom gone, Maurice gave Trouba the #1 gig on both the PP and at even strength and he finally shined and showed some of his offensive skills he always had but never had the opportunity to show for the most part.

But he's always been a good all around dman and his physicality and grit has always been an underrated part of his game which we here in Ranger land are starting to see. And tho he doesn't get #1 PP time, he gets plenty of ice time at even strength in the #1 pairing and he has enough skilled fwds on the 2nd PP unit so that he gets his points and it's finally coming to fruition now.

Anyways, enjoy the fact you were wrong about him not working out....lol

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

Deleted member 23124

I have watched a ton of Winnpeg games over the years due to combination of my love for hockey and my involvnent of in fantasy hockey which is one of the greatest inventions on this great planet of ours(LOL) and like you, though I saw snipets at times from Trouba of being Dman who could be a top pairing guy, due to the situation he was in in Winnipeg, he really never got the opportunity to show what he could potentially do.

He had Big Buff ahead of him on the totem pole and for a few years even a Tobias Enstrom was blocking him from getting on the #1 PP so his point totals never really added up. Finally last year due to Buff's injury which kept him out most of the year and Enstrom gone, Maurice gave Trouba the #1 gig on both the PP and at even strength and he finally shined and showed some of his offensive skills he always had but never had the opportunity to show for the most part.

But he's always been a good all around dman and his physicality and grit has always been an underrated part of his game which we here in Ranger land are starting to see. And tho he doesn't get #1 PP time, he gets plenty of ice time at even strength in the #1 pairing and he has enough skilled fwds on the 2nd PP unit so that he gets his points and it's finally coming to fruition now.

Anyways, enjoy the fact you were wrong about him not working out....lol
I wasn't worried about his offense....I'm old fashioned -- I like my d-men to play D...I felt we didn't need another Yandle, Boyle, (both of whom I hated)...but a good defensive d-man. I didn't see that in him when he was in the Peg.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Quinn not committing on which goalie for Tuesday
that's asinine.

Yeah the kid played a lot... but he's on fire right now... It's almost as bad as breaking up a line when its going... or changing a PP that's scoring

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Fun fact- the Rangers haven't had two defensemen score 40+ points in a single season since 1993-94. That was the year Leetch and Zubov were both PPG players.

I can't even imagine how many years since we've had three.
has it ever happened ?

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
This Trouba of the past 2-3 weeks is the Trouba we thought we were getting from the Peg. It took him awhile to find his game as the light bulb finally has gone off but he has found his place in the lineup but he's been phenomenal lately and to think he's just 25, this is just the tip of the iceberg of the kind of productivity he will be providing for us for the next 5-7 years...I'm convinced of that.

He may not be Carlson who also took a few years to become the kind of Dman he is today but not many Dmen are. More and more game by game however Trouba is giving us the kind of top pairing production both offensively and defensively we haven't had in a very long time.

Once the Robertson's and Millers of the world come on board in the not so distant future, my lord we are going to have a defensive corps that will be the envy of the league. Fun and exciting times ahead for sure... :nod:
Fox
Miller
Trouba
DeAngelo
Lindgren
Lundkvist
Skjei
Jones
Keane
Robertson
Rykov
Skinner

The d-men in the NHL have met or are exceeding expectations. The prospects I mentioned, even someone like Skinner, are all having good to very good seasons (we’ll see with Rykov, but so far so good). That’s a LOT of d-men who have top 4 or better upside. I haven’t even mentioned guys like Gross and Ragnarsson. I’m not sure how they’re doing. But sheesh, we have such a surplus at D and goalie.

Last edited:

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
There was no shortage of stars in this game. Most we have come accustom to.

-Panarin getting us on the board and putting on a monster display of puck control and defensive responsibility.

-Lemieux banging people silly, setting the tone, and drawing penalties.

-Trouba looking like an All-Star D-man.

-Strome showing off on the right wing in front of his parents in the stands.

-And where would we be if Georgie didn't put on a clinic the first 10 minutes of the game. Could have been a totally different outcome. If I could, he would get the 1st, 2nd and 3rd star with the rest being just honorable mentions.

Last edited:

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Fox
Miller
Trouba
DeAngelo
Lindgren
Lundkvist
Skjei
Jones
Robertson
Rykov
Skinner

The d-men in the NHL have met or are exceeding expectations. The prospects I mentioned, even someone like Skinner, are all having good to very good seasons (we’ll see with Rykov, but so far so good). That’s a LOT of d-men who have top 4 or better upside. I haven’t even mentioned guys like Gross and Ragnarsson. I’m not sure how they’re doing. But sheesh, we have such a surplus at D and goalie.

It's crazy the plethora of Dman we have which is why I said in one of my posts we will be the envy of the league. And to think not even 3 years ago we and I include myself as well, that most of us were all bitching and moaning about how barron our prospect system was with regards to Dmen.

Amazing the job Gorton and his staff have done the past few years stockpiling our farm system it really is as we've gone from one of the worst prospect pools in the entire league just a few years ago to where we have to be at worst in the top 3 overall.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
I was at work so followed the score periodically on my phone. Didn't know that Georgiev had the start. Was really happy that Hank got a shutout after such a long time.

Oh well. Hard to be too disappointed.

Reactions: ohbaby

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
oKtD5v0_d.jpg

:nod:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
What was with the guy number three for the Knights knocking the puck right into his own net. Hah! What a dope!

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
What was with the guy number three for the Knights knocking the puck right into his own net. Hah! What a dope!
Went off his skate in a blink of an eye. He can't be faulted.

Did anyone notice Panarin scoring that first goal of the game came at the end of his shift? He and Kakko were on the ice a full minute, before that puck found the net. Not surprised by Panarin hanging longer than usual, but Kakko? His shifts are always shorter than his linemates. Later in the game, Kakko had a two on one at the end of a shift, and threw away a chance at a breakaway or good shot with having his pass deflected.

I see why he is having so much trouble scoring. His shot doesn't have much oomph to it. It doesn't strike any fear unless he is really close up where he could use his hands. Zibad, Panarin, Trouba even Lemieux have harder shots.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
There was an instance in I believe the second period where Kakko was clearly done, but he was the farthest up the ice and one of our guys dumped it deep. Kakko changed directions and gave it a cursory chase into the offensive end when he was otherwise looking to come off. So he's not quitting on plays or anything, but he does look tired.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
There was an instance in I believe the second period where Kakko was clearly done, but he was the farthest up the ice and one of our guys dumped it deep. Kakko changed directions and gave it a cursory chase into the offensive end when he was otherwise looking to come off. So he's not quitting on plays or anything, but he does look tired.
I saw that too. He had that responsibility to give chase to allow the change. But on that two on one , he really disappointed me. Because he could have walked right up to net where he could have used his hands, but instead slows down to pass. The D-man back was fully committed to protecting against the pass to the other guy (Panarin I believe?)

That's not what you want in a gamebreaker.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
It's crazy the plethora of Dman we have which is why I said in one of my posts we will be the envy of the league. And to think not even 3 years ago we and I include myself as well, that most of us were all *****ing and moaning about how barron our prospect system was with regards to Dmen.

Amazing the job Gorton and his staff have done the past few years stockpiling our farm system it really is as we've gone from one of the worst prospect pools in the entire league just a few years ago to where we have to be at worst in the top 3 overall.

A lot of these guys haven't played an nhl game, I remember when everyone was proclaiming Bobby Sanguenetti, Pavel Brendl and Sergei Grachev were the future of the team. A lot can happen before they are NHL'ers.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I saw that too. He had that responsibility to give chase to allow the change. But on that two on one , he really disappointed me. Because he could have walked right up to net where he could have used his hands, but instead slows down to pass. The D-man back was fully committed to protecting against the pass to the other guy (Panarin I believe?)

That's not what you want in a gamebreaker.

he was out of gas on that 2 on 1.

context is important people.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
4th line gave us some good shifts and really stabilized with Fast on it. McKegg is a solid solid player and I really like his speed.

I thought after a tough start the lines started to gel and played a very solid 40 mins or so after a rough first period.

the defense is becoming a major weapon. We’re obviously weak against an aggressive forecheck but offensively that blueline is a real handful to deal with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad