Post-Game Talk: #29 - 12/8/19 | RANGERS @ golden knights

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Shattenkirk with his right hand chopped off would be better than Staal.

I mean shatty isn't better at defense than Staal when Staal has one eye, so idk what the right hand off would do besides make his offensive game worse.

Note: when i refer to Staal being better at defense than Shatty, I'm talking about his entire career, and how defense is played. If the EA sports definition of the defender is being used, forgive me.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
Graves >> Staal. You can build a Stanley Cup winning defense with the defensemen Glen Sather passed over for Staal-Girardi.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
3rd in 5v5 P/60 (1.95) behind Carlson (2.42) and Makar (2.03).

Regarding the right side of the defence, they're great but the left side is a huge issue. Everybody feels like Trouba has come into his own lately, what changed? He now plays with Skjei. Whichever pairing Skjei is on performs significantly better than the others (aside from the anomaly that was Staal-Fox). Hajek-X, Lindgren-X, Staal-X are by far the three worst pairings in the league in terms of shot attempt and expected goal differential.

This type of imbalance would be fine if Skjei was a legit top defenceman who can carry a pairing, but we know that he's at best somewhere around "above average". In fact, despite him posting great metrics (which usually correlate very well with "he's doing well" sentiments about defencemen) most fans think he's not great and have a lot of issues with his game still based on what they're seeing on the ice - indicating that it is in fact his partners that are the main drivers of success.

It's hard to take away anything else than "Staal and our rookie LDs aren't NHL caliber right now".

View attachment 288801

Even if Skjei was top pairing, I don't know if this much of an imbalance would be "fine", per se. That's still a huge negative impact. I feel like on a lot of top teams in the NHL or good teams that are filled with depth, they don't have a ton of huge negative impact players. Take Carolina, MTL for example.

Although I understand your point. But the Rangers have a lot of puck possession anchors on D right now. Whether that's Ruff, the players themselves a combo of both or whatever; who knows. We also have puck possession anchors on offense this year(Howden, Kakko namely. As much as it pains me to say that Kakko is one, that's factual). Although the Rangers this season barely have any real high-impact puck possession players aside from Panarin, Fox, Fast, Chytil, and Buch. Maybe Skjei to a lesser extent?

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
In the recent Brooks article it said that the line-up would remain the same for the next game - so does that also mean Georgiev is getting the start again?

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
On a completely different subject,.. with the new rule that you must leave the ice when losing your helmet,... how is it they allow them to fight with the helmet off?
Actually thought they had made the rule that if the helmet comes off during a fight......fight is OVER!
Dont know answer though, to your question.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I don’t think that was his choice. They Americanized his name. I have no problem with that, but I just like Shestyorkin more.
Teams don't get to tell players what their last names are when signing contracts and stuff, and that's pretty much what the name on the jersey is based on, soooooooooooooooo... :dunno:

Pretty confident that Igor chose "Shesterkin"

Reactions: TominNC

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Teams don't get to tell players what their last names are when signing contracts and stuff, and that's pretty much what the name on the jersey is based on, soooooooooooooooo... :dunno:

Maybe Igor will change it to make 5 fans happy

Deleted member 23124

In the recent Brooks article it said that the line-up would remain the same for the next game - so does that also mean Georgiev is getting the start again?
According to what I've been seeing, Henrik will start.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Maybe Igor will change it to make 5 fans happy
Lmao dude he doesn’t need to change anything. I don’t know why it’s such a big deal to you. I said I don’t mind how his last name is spelled, but I personally like Shestyorkin. And I’ll keep calling him that for now.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey

Yea that’s probably likely

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.

Teams don't get to clarify what a player's legal name is before signing a contract?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad