Post-Game Talk: #29 - 12/8/19 | RANGERS @ golden knights

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Fast is a UFA at end of season, so I think he's a TDL deal.....And we don't have much coming off the books. I think Kreider's cap hit can be split between Lemmy and ADA. That leaves Strome and Georgy as the remaining UFAs to be signed.

So unless we trade more than Kreids, we don't have much room to maneuver capwise.
Strome, Lemieux, ADA and Georgie are restricted free agents. What could they demand?

Last edited:

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
To be brutally honest, I hope not.
Generally I think it's not a big deal if they do, as long as the price isn't crazy.

If he were to sign for like under 3 million for 2 years, yeah it's fine. He's a useful piece that can move up and down the lineup as needed. If he wants more money and term, then I'm fine with him walking.

But I just get the feeling that the front office would like him back.

Reactions: ohbaby

Deleted member 23124

Generally I think it's not a big deal if they do, as long as the price isn't crazy.

If he were to sign for like under 3 million for 2 years, yeah it's fine. He's a useful piece that can move up and down the lineup as needed. If he wants more money and term, then I'm fine with him walking.

I thought AV would have been desperate enough by now to overpay us for him....but there's still time.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007

If it came down to Strome or Fast, who would you want? I think Strome has shown enough to warrant much more importance to get signed.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Strome is definitely a more important piece than fast I think they know that. However I fully expect them to go 1 year with Strome OR 4 years on a very team friendly deal.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
If it came down to Strome or Fast, who would you want? I think Strome has shown enough to warrant much more importance to get signed.
I'm incredibly biased in that I don't care for Strome at all, and think he poses a risk to the team of them falling in love with him, and then him just completely fall off the earth production wise.

I also factor in that if Strome is traded, he will probably bring back something that can be useful in the long term, whether that be picks/prospects, or an NHL player

If the question is Fast for two years, or Strome for four years+, the answer is Fast for me.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
solid win in vegas baby.

holden continues to dazzle me with his talent void. why isnt he in hartford again ? is he worse than boo

trouba suddenly making that right side D look elite. who knew?

georgie having a very solid season. 2.67/ .926 is legit.

kreider did some hockey.

ADA tied for 5th in dman goals league wide. tied for 10th in points. and 10th in 5v5 points.

kids having himself a season.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
I'm incredibly biased in that I don't care for Strome at all, and think he poses a risk to the team of them falling in love with him, and then him just completely fall off the earth production wise.

I also factor in that if Strome is traded, he will probably bring back something that can be useful in the long term, whether that be picks/prospects, or an NHL player

If the question is Fast for two years, or Strome for four years+, the answer is Fast for me.
Yeah, your bias kicked in.

Reactions: egelband

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
On a completely different subject,.. with the new rule that you must leave the ice when losing your helmet,... how is it they allow them to fight with the helmet off?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I disagree. We would miss Kreider's speed and Fast's reliability, but don't think it changes the make up of this team. Zibad was out for a month and we did fine. And it was thought that he was the one,.. that we could not do without, being we are weak up the middle.
Want to bet on a similar outcome if he was to be hurt again? I would not. Subtract a top line player from a team, and there is typically an impact. And you greatly underestimate Fast's defensive play. Especially on this team.
I say we make the moves we need to make (Kreider, maybe Fast), but generally pass on being a seller.
If you are moving players and not making trades for players, you are by definition a seller. I think that it all depends on where this team is. If the team is on the outside looking in, Gorton will not hesitate to trade the players that he deemed as not part of the future off.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
By the way...

From the NYR Stat:

Over the last 11 games, #NYR have allowed 2.27 goals against per game and have successfully killed off 85.4% of their opponents' power plays (previously had allowed 3.61 goals against per game and killed off 72.9% of opponents' power plays in the first 18 games of the season).

they’re getting better.
The PK has been doing better, but some of the goals given up per game is obfuscated by some stellar play from goalies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So unless we trade more than Kreids, we don't have much room to maneuver capwise.
Too many variables still in play. How does DeAngelo perform for the rest of the year? How does Strome perform for the rest of the year? Does Strome and/or Kreider have their agents broach the subject of staying with the Rangers on a contract that fits into the box that Gorton has in his head? What happens with Skjei? Do they decide to resign Kreider and move Buchnevich instead? Far too many variables in play. But it will be interesting to see how it all unfolds over next several months.

Reactions: egelband

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Rangers are one 4 or 5 game winning streak away from going into the 2nd half really giving themselves a legit shot at being a contender for playoff spot. They haven’t been able to put it together for a real stretch but it’s right there for the taking.

ywah but at the same time, teams like Toronto and Tampa have been under performing and are primed to turn it around.

we’re probably looking at a team that ends up picking in the 8-13 range when June rolls around. They’re going to have a shiitttt load of assets to work with though to make a play for a pretty significant player if they want/ one becomes available.

They could conceivably have 3 1sts this summer. If that happens, they almost certainly won’t be making all those picks.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
By the way...

From the NYR Stat:

Over the last 11 games, #NYR have allowed 2.27 goals against per game and have successfully killed off 85.4% of their opponents' power plays (previously had allowed 3.61 goals against per game and killed off 72.9% of opponents' power plays in the first 18 games of the season).

they’re getting better.

The PK has been doing better, but some of the goals given up per game is obfuscated by some stellar play from goalies.

Yeah, this stat is definitely a bit misleading and is heavily skewed by goaltender performance. In those past 11 games, they're still the worst team in the league at giving up shot attempts and high-danger scoring chances against in the league. Our only saving grace is that we're semi-decent at generating high quality from minimal quantity.

Deleted member 23124

Too many variables still in play. How does DeAngelo perform for the rest of the year? How does Strome perform for the rest of the year? Does Strome and/or Kreider have their agents broach the subject of staying with the Rangers on a contract that fits into the box that Gorton has in his head? What happens with Skjei? Do they decide to resign Kreider and move Buchnevich instead? Far too many variables in play. But it will be interesting to see how it all unfolds over next several months.
Skjei????

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
Want to bet on a similar outcome if he was to be hurt again? I would not. Subtract a top line player from a team, and there is typically an impact. And you greatly underestimate Fast's defensive play. Especially on this team.

You don't think a Mckegg could fill Fast's spot? Or maybe Gettinger? I like Fast but not over the others we need to sign. We will miss Kreider's speed the most. And his net front presence.

Somebody else will likely be traded also cause we won't get squat for Kreids and Fast.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
You don't think a Mckegg could fill Fast's spot? Or maybe Gettinger? I like Fast but not over the others we need to sign. We will miss Kreider's speed the most. And his net front presence.

Somebody else will likely be traded also cause we won't get squat for Kreids and Fast.

McKegg cannot fill Fast's spot based on what I've seen from McKegg. And Strome > Fast.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
solid win in vegas baby.

holden continues to dazzle me with his talent void. why isnt he in hartford again ? is he worse than boo

trouba suddenly making that right side D look elite. who knew?

georgie having a very solid season. 2.67/ .926 is legit.

kreider did some hockey.

ADA tied for 5th in dman goals league wide. tied for 10th in points. and 10th in 5v5 points.

kids having himself a season.
3rd in 5v5 P/60 (1.95) behind Carlson (2.42) and Makar (2.03).

Regarding the right side of the defence, they're great but the left side is a huge issue. Everybody feels like Trouba has come into his own lately, what changed? He now plays with Skjei. Whichever pairing Skjei is on performs significantly better than the others (aside from the anomaly that was Staal-Fox). Hajek-X, Lindgren-X, Staal-X are by far the three worst pairings in the league in terms of shot attempt and expected goal differential.

This type of imbalance would be fine if Skjei was a legit top defenceman who can carry a pairing, but we know that he's at best somewhere around "above average". In fact, despite him posting great metrics (which usually correlate very well with "he's doing well" sentiments about defencemen) most fans think he's not great and have a lot of issues with his game still based on what they're seeing on the ice - indicating that it is in fact his partners that are the main drivers of success.

It's hard to take away anything else than "Staal and our rookie LDs aren't NHL caliber right now".

upload_2019-12-9_18-22-39.png

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
3rd in 5v5 P/60 (1.95) behind Carlson (2.42) and Makar (2.03).

Regarding the right side of the defence, they're great but the left side is a huge issue. Everybody feels like Trouba has come into his own lately, what changed? He now plays with Skjei. Whichever pairing Skjei is on performs significantly better than the others (aside from the anomaly that was Staal-Fox). Hajek-X, Lindgren-X, Staal-X are by far the three worst pairings in the league in terms of shot attempt and expected goal differential.

This type of imbalance would be fine if Skjei was a legit top defenceman who can carry a pairing, but we know that he's at best somewhere around "above average". In fact, despite him posting great metrics (which usually correlate very well with "he's doing well" sentiments about defencemen) most fans think he's not great and have a lot of issues with his game still based on what they're seeing on the ice - indicating that it is in fact his partners that are the main drivers of success.

It's hard to take away anything else than "Staal and our rookie LDs aren't NHL caliber right now".

View attachment 288801

It's a glaring hole right now. Lindgren has been the best of the bunch, but it's not really saying much.

And going into the end of the season and into the next one, we shouldn't be hearing about how these guys have experience now if they're still getting shelled. Hajek needs to go back to the AHL when healthy. He can use a refresh based on how things have been going. Staal was actually not bad last night. One of his best games this season, but a below average game for a good NHL dman.

If Staal actually got rest in season, he may not end up being terrible, just might be below average. Don't think he can play tons of games in a row, but get him games off and bring him back fresh helps him. We have ELCs for LHD, so player movement isn't something we should be worried about. If Staal struggles in a few weeks and they like where Rykov is, call him up for a few games. For all we know, he might stick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad