OT: 23'-24' Toronto Maple Leafs Overreaction Thread

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
Problems are the same: no proven starter, no shutdown dman, no shutdown center and so on.

A lot of players are dependant. Mathews, Bertuzzi and Tavares need other people to take the puck from opposition and pass it to them. And there are no such men. They need big defensively aware dudes who can pass. Like Radulov or Hyman. Leafs are a group of incompatible players.

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
Three years in a row the leafs got off to a pretty bad start and fans reacted. They did not OVER react. They reacted properly. Because the problems we see at the beginning of each season are the same problems we see every post season. The team is designed poorly and our cap allocation is bonkers. Our management refuses to change it.

The season is long and teams start playing complacently after a month or so. That's when our star players shine and carry the team to a decent record. Only to be humiliated once again in the playoffs when the other teams start trying again.

It's happening again. This always the very rare moment of the season where leaf fans react properly. Which of course will be called "overreacted" later in the season.
But ultimately,the same old early finish to the season.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Problems are the same: no proven starter, no shutdown dman, no shutdown center and so on.

A lot of players are dependant. Mathews, Bertuzzi and Tavares need other people to take the puck from opposition and pass it to them. And there are no such men. They need big defensively aware dudes who can pass. Like Radulov or Hyman. Leafs are a group of incompatible players.

The bolded is utterly laughable.

Hyman as an example of a big, defensively aware, passer is also pretty comical. Hyman is just all motor, which is valuable, but he’s never been anything to write home about defensively, and his game has little to do with passing. In fact, as a Leaf, aside from a lack of finish, his propensity to hold the puck and not distribute it was one of the biggest gripes people had. He’d hound the puck but couldnt get it to guys in prime scoring positions once he got it.

Last edited:

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Watched the Wings vs Sens game this afternoon, those two teams are skilled, fast, play hard and are hungry. Leafs got one of those 4 ingredients.

Same coach, same results. Inconsistent, white knuckle, indifferent, boring Leafs hockey. Such a waste of elite talent.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Matty and Tavares are known for their board play and puck retrieval skills both can beat goalies clean without a great pass, Tavares more in tight, Matthews virtually anywhere on the ice. Bertuzzi is liquid dog shit, in every facet of the game.

Reactions: authentic

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Prediction Contest:

"The Leafs Will Win The Cup This Year!!"
It won't be after the win tonight, but I give it about two weeks before there are a half dozen threads praising various players and discussing which wild card team the Leafs will play in the first round. Balance is not really a thing here, but such is the nature of being a fan.

Aloysius

Oct 9, 2021
This is the overreaction thread, right. So this is the game where Woll takes over as No. 1. And hey, the Bolts have become irrelevant in the Atlantic.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This is the overreaction thread, right. So this is the game where Woll takes over as No. 1. And hey, the Bolts have become irrelevant in the Atlantic.
And Domi is an all-star and Matthews has lost his scoring touch.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
And hey, the Bolts have become irrelevant in the Atlantic.
This is actually true. I'm not sure why so many people react so harshly to the idea that Tampa is on the decline. Great teams don't stay great forever. I don't know how anyone can even criticize Tampa for fading. This was the closest thing to a dynasty this sport has seen since the mid-1980s. The fact that they have dropped back to the pack isn't a criticism. It's just a reflection of the fact that time always wins. Just like Chicago, LA and Pittsburgh after their Cup-winning teams fell off, I wouldn't expect Tampa to win in the playoffs again for a long while. They will struggle to be a wild card team this season.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
I swear to god that the same bunch of people that spent all summer shitting on people overreacting about the blue jays sucking are now the same people going insane about the Toronto Maple Reaves.
It’s a typecast of awfulness and non self awareness.

• Haha
Reactions: thewave and Arzak

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
I swear to god that the same bunch of people that spent all summer shitting on people overreacting about the blue jays sucking are now the same people going insane about the Toronto Maple Reaves.
It’s a typecast of awfulness and non self awareness.

Odd statement, the Jays grossly underperformed all season, the Leafs are grossly underperforming now, the massive number of people who gave feedback on their underachievement's should be an obvious observation. Your statement is akin to saying the same bunch of people who wore shirts yesterday are wearing shirts today... a grasp for the obvious is not solving a mystery Scooby...

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Odd statement, the Jays grossly underperformed all season, the Leafs are grossly underperforming now, the massive number of people who gave feedback on their underachievement's should be an obvious observation. Your statement is akin to saying the same bunch of people who wore shirts yesterday are wearing shirts today... a grasp for the obvious is not solving a mystery Scooby...
Ouch I guess I touched a nerve. Maybe read post again. I was saying that the people that spent all season ripping on folks like you, saying you were overreacting, are also people that were going ape shit after 4 leafs games; it’s hypocritical.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
All our signings are horrible, and we probably should have just kept Dubas and fired Keefe.

I disagreed with some of Dubas decisions, but there wasn't anything too bad the last 3 years and most decisions had a logical if not agreeable process to it than fans could understand.

I'm worried we just signed up absolute horrible contracts in FA.

They’re only 1 year though, but yeah not looking great so far

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Ouch I guess I touched a nerve. Maybe read post again. I was saying that the people that spent all season ripping on folks like you, saying you were overreacting, are also people that were going ape shit after 4 leafs games; it’s hypocritical.

No nerve, just though it was a rather unusual observation, lacking depth or a logical conclusion.. Not sure you understand two things, 1) a grasp for the the obvious or 2) the definition of the word hypocritical.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
No nerve, just though it was a rather unusual observation, lacking depth or a logical conclusion.. Not sure you understand two things, 1) a grasp for the the obvious or 2) the definition of the word hypocritical.
Thanks for the illumination Einstein. I see your phd in message board etiquette is really well earned. Nonetheless, couldn’t give a shit if you criticize leafs or jays, at least you are consistent.

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Thanks for the illumination Einstein. I see your phd in message board etiquette is really well earned. Nonetheless, couldn’t give a shit if you criticize leafs or jays, at least you are consistent.

Looks like I touched a nerve. I'm no Einstein, I'm more a Sidis, a Gauss or a Maxwell ;P . If you dont want to be questioned for posting a poorly thought out, rudimentary thought process, dont post poorly thought out, rudimentary thought processes, on a forum that encourages dialogue between posters. Not a fan of free speech?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad