OT: 23'-24' Toronto Maple Leafs Overreaction Thread

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
In all honesty klingberg and reeves were a big miss if we still had lafferty we would be way better
Hard to argue at this point. I was hoping maybe Reaves could help with this teams mental state but nope, they're still a bunch of pansies who don't stick up for each other. And Klinberg ... I never had high hopes for him anyway but still, he's just terrible.

Only 69 more games to go. Might as well burn the season at this point.
Burning the season is dumb. But so is saying the we're going take over 1st in the division in January.

Reactions: ToneDog

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It’s not the wins and losses right now it’s about how they are winning and losing. And from what I see, it’s a mediocre bubble team that could miss the playoff if goaltending flops
It's flopped.

Reactions: Jmo89

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
They have 3 regulation wins in 13 games and have let up 4 or more goals in all 7 home games so far.

They are not good and it's not just because Liljegren and McCabe are out, just watching them play and it's clear they are frighteningly disorganized.

It's like pond hockey. No discipline, whatever system they are using seems to be based on "just get Willie or Auston the puck". In their own zone the puck is a hand grenade.

Much of this is on Keefe, between his never-ending line juggling and inability to get this roster to play a cohesive system that actually looks like they are playing a system, he's just not getting it done.

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
In a couple weeks they will be in a better position and things around here will settle down, simply becuase their upcoming schedule is, to be honest, pretty easy. They will be the more talented team and should be favored to win in the vast majority of games. They have a small strech where they play the Rangers twice and Boston again that will be a short term test, but honestly, this team should 'fatten up' point totals on average to bad teams all the way through Early March.

By the end of January, this team will be well inside a playoff position. However, they may do so by not being any better than they are now. The real test will come later in the year.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
In a couple weeks they will be in a better position and things around here will settle down, simply becuase their upcoming schedule is, to be honest, pretty easy. They will be the more talented team and should be favored to win in the vast majority of games. They have a small strech where they play the Rangers twice and Boston again that will be a short term test, but honestly, this team should 'fatten up' point totals on average to bad teams all the way through Early March.

By the end of January, this team will be well inside a playoff position. However, they may do so by not being any better than they are now. The real test will come later in the year.
I agree with all of this, but I think the bolded portion is the most important point. The easy schedule will favour them from a points accumulation perspective, but that may not be a good thing if all they do is outscore their issues.

Reactions: mjd1001

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

While I’m not yet overreacting, same could have been said for several of the games w be already lost including recent ones versus Buffalo and Ottawa.

There are definitely concerning trends we are seeing. Missing McCabe and Liljegren from an already thin blueline is a huge factor (Klingberg sheltered and on the 3rd pair, while overpaid for that role, would have value to us. Right now, being forced to rely on him as a top 4 isn’t good). Lack of bottom 6 production right there. Mediocre to bad goaltending, obviously. Atrocious penalty killing.

We’ve stumbled out of the gate before but this looks much more disorganized than usual.

Our D cannot sustain any injuries to regulars. That’s abundantly clear. 1-3-2 since McCabe was hurt, allowing 27 goals

Reactions: Bomber0104

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Maybe we're looking at this wrong. We've always had a great season, and then shit the bed in the playoffs. So, maybe we'll play like crap during the season, and then pick it up during the playoffs a la Panthers. For that to happen though, we have to get rid of Klingberg and Reaves at the very least.

Reactions: Lauro and fahad203

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Should the Leafs, if and when they fire Keefe bring in a shelf life (best before date) coach?

You know the type. Bring out the best for a year or two...

These types
Boudreau
Laviolette
Torts etc

Though they do have one in Boucher.

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
While I’m not yet overreacting, same could have been said for several of the games w be already lost including recent ones versus Buffalo and Ottawa.

There are definitely concerning trends we are seeing. Missing McCabe and Liljegren from an already thin blueline is a huge factor (Klingberg sheltered and on the 3rd pair, while overpaid for that role, would have value to us. Right now, being forced to rely on him as a top 4 isn’t good). Lack of bottom 6 production right there. Mediocre to bad goaltending, obviously. Atrocious penalty killing.

We’ve stumbled out of the gate before but this looks much more disorganized than usual.

Our D cannot sustain any injuries to regulars. That’s abundantly clear. 1-3-2 since McCabe was hurt, allowing 27 goals
I understand your point, which, again, is why am probably where you are being 'concerned' but not 'over-reacting'.

The Buffalo and Ottawa games are tough ones to judge. Both of those teams are VERY talented but young. In terms of raw talent, they may match the leafs, but they are still going to have fits and starts.

If the Leafs play 'their game', whether they win or lose against Ottawa and Buffalo may be more of a function of those teams, because with the young talent they have, some games they will go toe-to-toe with you and there is nothing you can do about it....other games if they are 'off' you will be able to run them over. Toronto may have just hit both of those teams where they had an 'on' night.

The Buffalo game was more concerning to me. I brought this up in another thread but, Buffalo was on the back end of 2 games in 2 nights on the road, while you were rested at home. Buf had a rookie, former 6th round pick goalie in net who's career save percentage is below .900, in his FIRST game back after missing time due to injury. Buffalo only played 11 forwards because of injuries. They were missing Samuelsson (their BEST D-man in his own zone, not overall better than Dahlin or Power but better in his own zone.) Tuch had only had 1 goal for them coming into the game and has been on-and-off hurt since the preseason. They were missing their best Rookie from last year (Quinn, 8th overall pick a few years ago).

The fact that Toronto lost THAT game, to me it was their worst loss of the season. Not because Buffalo is bad, but Buffalo should have been bad THAT night.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
Can someone link me or post here high danger chances by team? I am curious to see where the Leafs rank here and the quality of their scoring chances on our nets...

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Is it gonna be called an overreaction when we don't win the cup again this year? Or make it to the eastern conference finals? Because niether are happening with this group of players.

So whats the point? Maybe I'm spoiled by being bored of Matthews goals and Marners points but god damn I want a championship, not just some silly individual things to brag about.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Can't believe anyone would overreact to 8 years of futility with no signs of this being any different. Personally, I need to be disappointed with the same core for at least 10 years before I'll even entertain that there might be something fundamentally wrong with the team.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Step 1: Waive Reaves and Klingberg

Step 2: Fire Keefe

Step 3: Find a top 4 dman and a 4th liner that can play well with Kampf.

Roll the dice on everything else, and if they miss the playoffs bye-bye Shanahan.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Should the Leafs, if and when they fire Keefe bring in a shelf life (best before date) coach?

You know the type. Bring out the best for a year or two...

These types
Boudreau
Laviolette
Torts etc

Though they do have one in Boucher.

Nobody is better at short term success followed by some serious hate than Gallant
He's available and waiting by the phone

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

Aloysius

Oct 9, 2021
Can't believe anyone would overreact to 8 years of futility with no signs of this being any different. Personally, I need to be disappointed with the same core for at least 10 years before I'll even entertain that there might be something fundamentally wrong with the team.
I see what you're doing here.;)

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Can someone link me or post here high danger chances by team? I am curious to see where the Leafs rank here and the quality of their scoring chances on our nets...
Don't have the stats but I read today that only the Sharks have given up more high danger chances than the Leafs have this season.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
What if all the overreactions were really underreactions?

Roth.gif

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Every year the Leafs swallow the kool aid. This team is a 500 piece of junk in decline. Any fan could run this team better than the Pejorative Slurs in management. Oh well keep paying for junk and praying for a cup you will never get. Liking losing means you are a chump.

ClarkSittler

Mar 25, 2014
Can't believe anyone would overreact to 56 years of futility with no signs of this being any different. Personally, I need to be disappointed with the same core for at least 10 years before I'll even entertain that there might be something fundamentally wrong with the team.

FYP

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Every year the Leafs swallow the kool aid. This team is a 500 piece of junk in decline. Any fan could run this team better than the Pejorative Slurs in management. Oh well keep paying for junk and praying for a cup you will never get. Liking losing means you are a chump.
unclear what your position is here

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
There is no such thing as over reaction as a Leaf fan. We were sold a big turd. The fans are smarter than management. They repackaged a dud and put lipstick on it. This team is toast. They have to score 6 goals just to win. Imagine being so stupid you think you can win a cup with no backend rofl. Pejorative Slured.
unclear what your position is here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad