Boston Bruins 22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. XV

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
It would be nice if the Bruins can re-sign Bertuzzi and Orlov, but I think playoff performance will dictate who may be traded/re-signed in the offseason.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbfan419

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I will have to go back and re-read what I wrote, but I don't recall saying she doesn't work for the Bruins.

I do remember saying "her reply" which means she is a she and not a he or she though. But I better double check that as well.
Wasn’t/isn’t Zboril’s biggest strength his skating? Pretty sure that’s the biggest reason he was projected as a high draft pick.

Reactions: DominicT and Kegs

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
And I think he is a far Worse player than even I think....if that makes sense. The guy is extremely clumsy, cant backskate, or crossover without falling, does not move well laterally and does not handle the puck well. I have seen them come and go, and he is probably the third worst Bruin d of the last 40 years behind only incredibly bad one trick pony, Bartkowski, and skilless goon, Brian Curran.

I think you need to hang up the player evaluation hat.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Or, trade the demonstrably worse defensman in Forbort. The team has given up three (3) goals in 66 shorthanded minutes since his injury. Play Grizz with McAvoy, and break the kid in on the third pair (if he's ready next year).

The Zboril hatred is silly.
It is not silly..............it is very silly , no I am wrong it is stupid . The kid is a young defenseman coming back from a serious injury give a break . This team needs young player and with low cap space . I suggest you all should give him some time....

Reactions: Kegs

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
the issue with zboril is his penchant for boneheaded plays. after years of that, you don't all of a sudden remove
that from your game. he's fine at that salary in a depth role, but seems unwise to count on him for meaningful minutes.
I agree- he hasn’t seemed to have made much improvement there. There is a reason he is behind Clifton and Forbort on the depth chart and it isn’t because of the coach (either Cassidy or Monty).

Root

Feb 22, 2010
the issue with zboril is his penchant for boneheaded plays. after years of that, you don't all of a sudden remove
that from your game. he's fine at that salary in a depth role, but seems unwise to count on him for meaningful minutes.

Exactly. It’s never been a talent issue with him. He’s a #7/8 that needs to be heavily sheltered and that’s how the Bruins use him.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I agree- he hasn’t seemed to have made much improvement there. There is a reason he is behind Clifton and Forbort on the depth chart and it isn’t because of the coach (either Cassidy or Monty).
The kid played like 6 minutes in two months at one point. Hard to improve much less play well when you get nailed to the bench the way he has been.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
The kid played like 6 minutes in two months at one point. Hard to improve much less play well when you get nailed to the bench the way he has been.
On the other hand, you can also say that if he was good enough to have been in there more regularly, he would have. It was said often enough around here that Cassidy was the problem with him and other young players. Well Monty seems to have just about as much confidence in Zboril as Butch did despite not have that same rep.

Reactions: Root

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
maybe zboril's path is blocked here, and with regular minutes, he'd become a top 4 guy.

or maybe he wasn't good enough to earn the role, and he's a just bottom pairing guy somewhere in the league. seems like the bruins like him enough to keep him around, so we'll probably find this out next year. i've seen enough to not have a lot of expectations.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I think they will re-sign Bertuzzi and Hathway is a cinch. Orlov and Cliffy almost certainly walk, and Gryz is probably traded. Please, in the name of God, let Zboril walk. Finding d will be a challenge. Brunet and Lohrei are very promising but are a couple of years away. I would let Bertuzzi walk and keep Gryz one more year, but not sure the Bruins will.
IMO you keep Orlov and move Grz, Forbort and Reilly. Let Zboril walk.

Try to keep Clifton, although the fact that he’s been underpaid for his entire career, means I certainly won’t blame him for chasing dollars.

I don’t see why Lohrei can’t be the #6 next year. There will be growing pains, maybe he‘ll have to go to Providence for a stretch at some point, but he’s been as effective in college as a lot of guys who have made the jump.

If they can find a way to keep Carlo and Orlov, and find a vet who will take league minimum, a top six of

McAvoy, Lindholm, Carlo, Orlov, Lohrei and a vet isn’t terrible, considering the top 4 will be playing about 75% of the game.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Try to keep Clifton, although the fact that he’s been underpaid for his entire career, means I certainly won’t blame him for chasing dollars.

I don’t see why Lohrei can’t be the #6 next year. There will be growing pains, maybe he‘ll have to go to Providence for a stretch at some point, but he’s been as effective in college as a lot of guys who have made the jump.

If they can find a way to keep Carlo and Orlov, and find a vet who will take league minimum, a top six of

McAvoy, Lindholm, Carlo, Orlov, Lohrei and a vet isn’t terrible, considering the top 4 will be playing about 75% of the game.

By vet though you are talking someone who will take the NHL minimum. And who is the #7 another vet who will take the NHL minimum.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
By vet though you are talking someone who will take the NHL minimum. And who is the #7 another vet who will take the NHL minimum.
Yes.

Or a Providence guy. I guess the main point is that if Orlov, Carlo, McAvoy and Lindholm are your top four, your 5 and 6 don’t need to be world beaters.

The 6 defensemen they are rolling out right now, is unprecedented, at least for this team.

I think we all know that this lineup has a once in a lifetime (or 20 years) level of depth.

If the 4 I mentioned are anchoring the blueline, there’s no reason a Lohrei can’t be a bottom pair guy.

Reactions: Gordoff

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015

Zbroil has another year after this at roughly 1.2

I think he stays as an extra at least to start the season

Reactions: sarge88

LavioletteScores

Nov 20, 2011

Don't be so modest, lol.

Personally I blame Sweeney for Zboril's lack of success here. He butchered his name at the draft and it must have been a real hit to the kid's confidence.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

Reilly is unmoveable without adding to him. Forbort and Grz could possibly get a decent return but it's rare to see a team move two starting d in one off season. Although, we need to

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
It’s not that abnormal for young defence to do this. Remember orlov used to be a pizza delivery man (aka a turn over machine)

Hard to let a guy walk who is under contract for one more year. He is also very cheap and clearly serviceable. He actually doesn’t have a lot of turn overs regardless of what posters here say about him. His only flaw imo is his inability to get shots through.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Don't be so modest, lol.

Personally I blame Sweeney for Zboril's lack of success here. He butchered his name at the draft and it must have been a real hit to the kid's confidence.
Agreed.

If those four horses are in the stable, 5 and 6
It’s not that abnormal for young defence to do this. Remember orlov used to be a pizza delivery man (aka a turn over machine)

Hard to let a guy walk who is under contract for one more year. He is also very cheap and clearly serviceable. He actually doesn’t have a lot of turn overs regardless of what posters here say about him. His only flaw imo is his inability to get shots through.

My bad about Z, I was basing it on some one else’s post.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Or, trade the demonstrably worse defensman in Forbort. The team has given up three (3) goals in 66 shorthanded minutes since his injury. Play Grizz with McAvoy, and break the kid in on the third pair (if he's ready next year).

The Zboril hatred is silly.
I ageee Gryz is the more talented defenseman but he gets the easiest minutes on the backend. He plays only 5v5 with Mcavoy. You will presumably get better draft capital coming back by trading Gryz as well.

I have always been a Gryz defender but I would rather Forbort and Lindholm doing a lot of the gritty work on the left side while breaking in Lohrei.

I just feel like Lohrei would replace Gryz’s skill set easier than he would Forborts as his defensive game still needs fine tuning

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
Don't be so modest, lol.

Lol yeah nice going, Sweeney...rememeber when the Bs twitter made a post a few years back saying Brendan Gaunce wasn't getting a new offer, while f***ing up his name by calling him Cameron?

"Thanks, Cameron."
"It's Brendan."
"Who cares, get out."

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1