Boston Bruins 22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. XV

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Clifton is quietly becoming a stud. I think he continues to grow his game and will be a solid top four dman in this league on his next contract. Guy is all heart and hits like a ton of bricks. I’ve been a fan of his since day 1 but he his moving up the pecking order imo. I would like him resigned. Why can’t we have Clifton and Orlov?
Is a
Mac, orlov
Lindholm, Cliffy
Forbert, Zorbil
Lorehi

That weak next year? Got to think grez and Carlo get some attention at draft? Move them with Reilly, stock some picks and get some cap space to resign Orlov and Clifton.
Okay but I think Forbort and a forward such as Hall/Coyle also have to go. It’s not going to be as easy as moving Gryz and Carlo which is obviously quite tough.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
OMG lets just move Pasta or McAvoy or both than there will be less players moved and we will be cap compliant , after all the game is played with all the cap wizards not on the ice anymore............ I know the salary cap is part of the all sports now , but after awhile it really does take away from the games , we need someone to come up with a better system too make these less important and I am sure someone out there a lot smarter than me could figure it out ...........and believe it is not me.......

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
At least you set up a nice lottery team
Actually, it’s still a really good team...

Marsh - Bergy - JDB
Lauko - Zacha - Pasta
Hall - Coyle - Lysell
Greer - Freddie - McLovin
X:Steen

Gryz - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo
Lohrei - Zboril
x: Callahan, Wissman

Ullmark, Swayman

Third pair doesn’t feel right, but a solid team overall... still $1.2m over the cap though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kegs and Tbaybruin

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
Moving Carlo and Gryz would be tough? Hot take.
Not tough to move them tough to swallow the idea of moving them. It will be hard for me to see the players who have to leave this off-season. I like Bertuzzi and Orlov but it won’t be as tough for me to see the mercenaries walk away. Carlo, Gryz, Hall and Coyle are guys who could go and each will be tough on me as a fan.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
Not tough to move them tough to swallow the idea of moving them. It will be hard for me to see the players who have to leave this off-season. I like Bertuzzi and Orlov but it won’t be as tough for me to see the mercenaries walk away. Carlo, Gryz, Hall and Coyle are guys who could go and each will be tough on me as a fan.
Post that after the season is over lol. Regardless how it ends.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010

Marsh - Bergy - JDB
Lauko - Zacha - Pasta
Hall - Coyle - Lysell

Gryz - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo
Lohrei - Zboril

Ullmark, Swayman

Third pair doesn’t feel right, but a solid team overall... still $1.2m over the cap though.
Third pairs a wild card that’s for sure. But who knows. I don’t particularly want McLaughlin. I find him tooo slow

The Storm

Mar 15, 2022

Marsh - Bergy - JDB
Lauko - Zacha - Pasta
Hall - Coyle - Lysell

Gryz - McAvoy
Lindholm - Carlo
Lohrei - Zboril

Ullmark, Swayman

This is still a pretty good team but we have to face facts in the salary cap era. Going to have to move Gryz. He eats up too much salary on defense. Forbort and Gryz might have value somewhere else. Will Merkulov be ready next year?

Cannot stomach the thought of having to let Orlov walk, he's so solid. He has added to the defensive depth in a major way.

Gary Bettman was also quoted as saying that there may be some flexibility on the cap maximum. It may go a little higher.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Bo Horvat stats since joining the Islanders:

24GP 6G 5A 11P -5 TOI: 21:02

Barzal going down didn't help and I think they only ended up playing like 6 games together. Since that happened Horvat as been playing with Lee whose a decent 50pt guy and Simon Holmstrom whose a rookie with 46 games under his belt. Horvat's metrics are actually better with the Islanders and it seems he's been a bit unlucky.

Reactions: HustleB

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Barzal going down didn't help and I think they only ended up playing like 6 games together. Since that happened Horvat as been playing with Lee whose a decent 50pt guy and Simon Holmstrom whose a rookie with 46 games under his belt.

But they should be on different lines anyway. And if anything Barzal being out should have made him undoubtedly the #1 center there.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
But they should be on different lines anyway. And if anything Barzal being out should have made him undoubtedly the #1 center there.

But they're weren't, they were playing together on a line. Barzal wasn't playing center because he's beyond horrendous in the face-off circle and not great defensively either. In the 7 games after Horvat was acquired (7th being when he got injured early vs Boston) he (Barzal) took a total of 2 draws. The 7 games prior Barzal took 36 draws for the Islanders. Part of why they brought Horvat is was so they could move Barzal to wing and have a competent face-off man that's also not a defensive problem.

Last edited:

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
This is still a pretty good team but we have to face facts in the salary cap era. Going to have to move Gryz. He eats up too much salary on defense. Forbort and Gryz might have value somewhere else. Will Merkulov be ready next year?

Cannot stomach the thought of having to let Orlov walk, he's so solid. He has added to the defensive depth in a major way.

Gary Bettman was also quoted as saying that there may be some flexibility on the cap maximum. It may go a little higher.
If you move Gryz who plays top pair? You're not going to find anyone more capable for under $3.6m. You already let Orlov walk and traded away Forbort, your left side can't be Lindholm and two rookies if you want to make the playoffs. And with what they're paying Pasta, Marchand, Hall, Zahca, DeBrusk, McAvoy, Lindholm, Ullmark... they obviously expect to make the playoffs.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

The Bruins snapped the puck around their power-play formation at Wednesday’s practice at TD Garden. All five skaters quickly directed it to each other. It looked easy.
That was because there were no penalty-killers in front of them. They were going against air.
Then a coach shot another puck down the ice, as a gang of four PKers hopped the boards. When the power play made the retrieval and re-entered the zone, they faced playoff-like pressure.
The Bruins are trying to fix the No. 1 issue that ails them: a power play that has fallen from top-three in the league to middle-of-the-pack.

They ranked 15th in power-play success as of Wednesday, converting on 21.6 percent of their opportunities. They have scored a PPG in 19 of their last 42 games, and never more than one.

Contrast that with their first 32 games, up until Dec. 23 in New Jersey. They scored a power-play goal in 25 of their first 32, including multiple PPGs in 10 of those games.

Defenseman Brandon Carlo, an excellent penalty killer, sees a lot of teams using a 1-3 formation against Boston, rather than a traditional box or diamond. That means the Bruins’ best shooters — David Pastrnak and Brad Marchand, who set up on the flanks — are being covered tightly, as is Patrice Bergeron in the slot.

“If we can get pucks behind them a little bit more and get battles, and create more zone time, that would be helpful,” Carlo said. “A little more grit in those areas to get pucks back and then set up opportunities.”

Quick and sustained puck movement to tire out penalty killers is part of the prescription. But not the way the Bruins have done it.

“Usually once you get that good strike, because you’ve moved it around, they’re out of position and the puck recoveries become easier,” coach Jim Montgomery said. “Right now it seems we move it, move it, shot — and they win the puck recovery because we haven’t moved them out of position. So it’s a balance.”

Montgomery sees encouraging signs of players shooting to score rather than just looking to pass. The next step, one he hopes to see beginning Thursday against Columbus, is rapid-fire shooting

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
If you move Gryz who plays top pair? You're not going to find anyone more capable for under $3.6m. You already let Orlov walk and traded away Forbort, your left side can't be Lindholm and two rookies if you want to make the playoffs. And with what they're paying Pasta, Marchand, Hall, Zahca, DeBrusk, McAvoy, Lindholm, Ullmark... they obviously expect to make the playoffs.

Yep- many don't seem to get the value of a player that is a 25-30 pt guy, + frigging 45!!, transition game monster, solid defender and maybe most importantly, a perfect partner for McAvoy for 3.6m. But aye, I know, he is small.

Bruins can roll a left side of Lindholm, Grz, and perhaps a rookie (Lohrei if he comes) or Zboril which is acceptable. There is likely going to be a hole on the right too- where do you put Clifton's raise in the cap scheme? If you move Grizz, Orlov walks, Clifton signs somewhere to get paid, and Forbort is traded, you have three rookies/tweeners in your 6D?

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Yep- many don't seem to get the value of a player that is a 25-30 pt guy, + frigging 45!!, transition game monster, solid defender and maybe most importantly, a perfect partner for McAvoy for 3.6m. But aye, I know, he is small.

Bruins can roll a left side of Lindholm, Grz, and perhaps a rookie (Lohrei if he comes) or Zboril which is acceptable. There is likely going to be a hole on the right too- where do you put Clifton's raise in the cap scheme? If you move Grizz, Orlov walks, Clifton signs somewhere to get paid, and Forbort is traded, you have three rookies/tweeners in your 6D?
Next year is a retool year for sure. Hopefully after a Cup.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Next year is a retool year for sure. Hopefully after a Cup.

We can dream- they better win it, because this is as all in and to hell with next year as Sweeney has ever been. There is enough core left to be a PO team next year, but you can't gut the defense as bad as was suggested, even in a retool.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
The sad part is that theses stats are better than Taylor Hall's in his last 24 gp
That is true but we only have hall at 6 mil for two more years ,the Islanders on the hook for 8.5 mil for 8 more years ...............GOOD LUCK ON THE ISLAND.......

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

The Bruins snapped the puck around their power-play formation at Wednesday’s practice at TD Garden. All five skaters quickly directed it to each other. It looked easy.
That was because there were no penalty-killers in front of them. They were going against air.
Then a coach shot another puck down the ice, as a gang of four PKers hopped the boards. When the power play made the retrieval and re-entered the zone, they faced playoff-like pressure.
The Bruins are trying to fix the No. 1 issue that ails them: a power play that has fallen from top-three in the league to middle-of-the-pack.

They ranked 15th in power-play success as of Wednesday, converting on 21.6 percent of their opportunities. They have scored a PPG in 19 of their last 42 games, and never more than one.

Contrast that with their first 32 games, up until Dec. 23 in New Jersey. They scored a power-play goal in 25 of their first 32, including multiple PPGs in 10 of those games.

Defenseman Brandon Carlo, an excellent penalty killer, sees a lot of teams using a 1-3 formation against Boston, rather than a traditional box or diamond. That means the Bruins’ best shooters — David Pastrnak and Brad Marchand, who set up on the flanks — are being covered tightly, as is Patrice Bergeron in the slot.

“If we can get pucks behind them a little bit more and get battles, and create more zone time, that would be helpful,” Carlo said. “A little more grit in those areas to get pucks back and then set up opportunities.”

Quick and sustained puck movement to tire out penalty killers is part of the prescription. But not the way the Bruins have done it.

“Usually once you get that good strike, because you’ve moved it around, they’re out of position and the puck recoveries become easier,” coach Jim Montgomery said. “Right now it seems we move it, move it, shot — and they win the puck recovery because we haven’t moved them out of position. So it’s a balance.”

Montgomery sees encouraging signs of players shooting to score rather than just looking to pass. The next step, one he hopes to see beginning Thursday against Columbus, is rapid-fire shooting
Fluto had a similar article in the Athletic Today. Nothing substantively different than above but he did make a good point I hadn't really thought of. He argues that -- although the Bruins are still winning and scoring 5 vs. 5 -- an anemic PP almost encourages teams to take more liberties. Either by hooking and interfering more or even hitting high and hard in the playoffs. If B's aren't a threat to make them pay on the scoreboard why not push the envelope?

I thought it was a good point.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

With just eight games separating the Bruins from the postseason, Jim Montgomery overhauled a reliable segment of his lineup Thursday.
No, the Bruins bench boss didn’t yank David Pastrnak or another O-zone stalwart off the ailing power-play unit.
Nor was a veteran with plenty of mileage on the treads such as Patrice Bergeron given the night off against a Blue Jackets team with a minus-93 goal differential.
Rather, Montgomery opted to finally slow down his effective goaltending carousel. For the first time in close to two months, Linus Ullmark got the call for consecutive starts.
The alteration lies in the need to get Ullmark reacclimated to the workload that awaits when the calendar flips to the postseason.

“We figured this little run here we can get him three games in six days, that’s going to replicate a little bit of the playoffs,” Montgomery said following an optional skate at TD Garden. “It’s also going to allow [Jeremy] Swayman to get some games on the back end of that.”

That near-even distribution of reps has been mutually beneficial for all parties — especially for a Bruins team that has gone 18-5-0 over that stretch.

But there can be only one option when Montgomery has to construct a lineup for Game 1 in mid-April.

And even though he has not ruled out deploying a rotation in the postseason, Montgomery hasn’t steered away from his initial idea of Ullmark — the Vezina Trophy front-runner — getting the net for the postseason opener.

Montgomery has the authority to reshuffle his lineup, but when it comes to the net, he is happy to defer to whatever Essensa charts out.

“He makes my life a lot easier,” said Montgomery. “From day one, I told him, ‘Just tell me who you think should start.’ I’ve never over-trumped him all year. I just asked him why, so that I can learn from him. And he’s been spot-on.

“It was his plan in the first place and he deviates from his plan because he just has such a great relationship with them and he understands from a goalie’s perspective, like, what allows them to have success.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad