Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM03 | Canucks defeat Oilers | 4-3 (Boeser(2) & Lindholm(2)) | Silovs You!

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don’t think there is anything to review, Zadorov cross checked him from behind and Soucy accidentally cross checked him in the face while McDavid was falling, he didn’t have any intent to hit him in the face
You just never know with the nhl. There’s the sly punch by Bennett to Marchand that takes him out of game 4. And the no interference call on the tying goal by Bennett. You really can’t figure out how the league operates.

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
In what world would Soucy's cross check be suspension worthy?

There's zero intent from Soucy to drill McDavid in the face there. He went in to push him right when Zadorov came in from the back and pushed him forwards. If they don't fine an intentional spear but suspend a player for incidental contact, what even is the point of the DoPS?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
In what world would Soucy's cross check be suspension worthy?

There's zero intent from Soucy to drill McDavid in the face there. He went in to push him right when Zadorov came in from the back and pushed him forwards. If they don't fine an intentional spear but suspend a player for incidental contact, what even is the point of the DoPS?
If it was that vicious it should have drawn a much more serious reaction from the other oilers on the ice.

Reactions: BimJenning

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
The real unsung hero is Dustin Schwartz & the crap he feeds to the goalies over there. :sarcasm:
I hate to be that guy but...

If they had a competent goalie coach then they:

a) wouldn't have Pickard as their number one call up
b) probably wouldn't have signed Campbell to that contract
c) Skinner himself would have made more progress in his game and would be better now

and, worst of all

d) they would have already game planned to exploit Silovs.

If I was their goalie coach, I would have told them to go around the net to trigger the Clark auto trackdown (i.e. Canucks goalies are taught to go to their knees in post integration after the puck passes the faceoff dot regardless of the depth of the shooter, then they are supposed to center themselves in the net in the splits), then creep out into the free space just outside the defensive triangle and just pick the far side of the net.

There were at least 3-4 instances where Silovs is leaning against the post and Drai had the puck in that position, especially on the PP. He was standing still for several seconds, untouched, in a spot where they are teaching today's kids to drift higher and take advantage of the RVH. Literally the entire far side of the net is open. RVH only works when the guy is literally point blank, the further away that the shooter gets, the more the aerial angle is open. As a LHS Drai should have feasted on that and could have scored on Silovs literally every time. I couldn't believe he didn't try each time this happened.

Finally, I think RNH tried and Silovs BARELY saved it. Imagine if that had happened more often. Even if they only get one more goal, the game is a lot closer and maybe they carry enough momentum to actually beat us in the last minutes. Think about the zadorov bad angle goals on skinner, even though it's a poor angle a goalie who goes down in RVH too soon when the shooter is far away opens up a lot of holes. We also scored a similar goal on Saros, who is a much better goalie than Skinner or Silovs tbh.

Also Silovs has issues with screens. You saw this with the post shot where he had no idea where it was going, and many instances in the last six games this has happened and he either gets bailed out by the post or by our shot blocking. Of course this approach has issues because it's susceptible to shot blocking.

If you look at this game, Silovs was great on side-to-side shots and picked up a lot of pucks with his glove hand. However, the goals he has given up on clear shots have been from closer range, usually in the slot of lower. I think this is a weakness but the Oilers can't access the middle easily because our defensive system (see heatmap in one of the posts above).

Finally, Silovs moves too much on micro adjustments. If he's going post-to-post in desperation mode, he is fine because overpowering that push doesn't matter. All that matters is that he makes the first save because he shouldn't be making that first save in the first place. What you see on the Perry almost-goal is that when he has to slide into a save (which is mostly a good thing) over a short distance he often overpushes and puts himself out of position. Many times he was locked in a butterfly after an overslide and had to go into full scramble mode just to get himself back in the net.

Rick Rocket

Regetstred User
May 22, 2008

“Two massive dudes penetrate small Caucasian man from both ends! 1080p”

GNcB19QbYAAXk_x.jpeg

This was in the comments

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad