Boston Bruins 22-‘23 Bruins roster and trade proposals discussions. X

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
So everyone talks about how the 1st is pick 32 and there's no guarantees there, and that's fine. The problem is opportunity cost. If you spend a 1st+ on Gavrikov to make your defense marginally better, that limits what else you can do, not to mention the cost required to cut enough salary to fit him.

All I can think of is how their achilles heal every single year in the playoffs is depth scoring, and improving that should be their top priority. Gavrikov is a luxury, and as good as they may be, they can't afford luxuries when they have actual needs to fill. That doesn't even get into the potential of extending him, which would be the only thing worse than spending a 1st on him. They don't have the luxury to spend another $4-5M on a defenseman next year, not when it's tough enough to build a cap compliant lineup for next season as it is. And next season does matter. It was said earlier, but even in the best case scenario, their Stanley Cup odds are probably only around 15%, which may be better than other teams, but still isn't very good. Despite the "Last Dance" talk, there's enough talent to compete next year if they can get Bergeron back, as long as they don't go crazy now and make building a competitive team for next season a cap impossibility.

I don't even like Luke Schenn, but I can't help but feel that they'd be better off going the cheaper route with Schenn and Nick Bjugstad than overpaying for Gavrikov. It's often those smaller deals that end up being the major difference makers.
I feel like their Achilles heel has been their inability to stay healthy on defense.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
I brought this up earlier, but I think it got lost in the ~10 pages of new posts...

Should we read into anything with the Bruins' current roster for their road trip?

It seems that they only brought 12 healthy Forwards, but now have 8 Defensemen on the roster. -- Anton Stralman is listed on the Boston roster. I don't see Stralman's recall listed on the AHL site, but nonetheless he's listed on the Boston (NHL) page.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
So everyone talks about how the 1st is pick 32 and there's no guarantees there, and that's fine. The problem is opportunity cost. If you spend a 1st+ on Gavrikov to make your defense marginally better, that limits what else you can do, not to mention the cost required to cut enough salary to fit him.

All I can think of is how their achilles heal every single year in the playoffs is depth scoring, and improving that should be their top priority. Gavrikov is a luxury, and as good as they may be, they can't afford luxuries when they have actual needs to fill. That doesn't even get into the potential of extending him, which would be the only thing worse than spending a 1st on him. They don't have the luxury to spend another $4-5M on a defenseman next year, not when it's tough enough to build a cap compliant lineup for next season as it is. And next season does matter. It was said earlier, but even in the best case scenario, their Stanley Cup odds are probably only around 15%, which may be better than other teams, but still isn't very good. Despite the "Last Dance" talk, there's enough talent to compete next year if they can get Bergeron back, as long as they don't go crazy now and make building a competitive team for next season a cap impossibility.

I don't even like Luke Schenn, but I can't help but feel that they'd be better off going the cheaper route with Schenn and Nick Bjugstad than overpaying for Gavrikov. It's often those smaller deals that end up being the major difference makers.
Fair points, but given the likely increases for Pasta and Swayman in particular, next years team is going to look different and Sweeney has some tough decisions to make — regardless of who they bring in this year.

They are still top 3/4 in GF and while I won’t say the depth scoring won’t be an issue in the playoffs, I‘m less worried about that than I am about what happens if one of the top 4 goes down for a couple of games.

In the end, I think there are enough people out there who have some inside info that feel they can and will try to add a valuable piece up front and on the blue line.

I won’t be upset if Sweeney goes all in this year and they don’t win a cup, even with the knowledge that things could be dicey for the next several years because of it.

Ill be disappointed, but I certainly won‘t blame Sweeney.

Now, if he passes on guys who can help, and they lose, I will put that on him.

Last edited:

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
then why haven't more teams adopted the Carolina tempo model...... the days of the Big Bad Bruins/ Broad Street Bullies mentality died with "Unrivaled"... which is the Detroit vs. Colorado rivalry from 1997-2002 now that Detroit is in the East.... who's your modern day Claude Lemieux right now, Oates..... after the clip from Bettman/Burke which is why the staged fighting was curbed then eliminated entirely which left when Shawn Thornton moved on from Boston...
Lots of teams play the uptempo game. And when I say “nasty” I don’t mean goons. Tampa Carolina heck even St Louis beat us in 2019 playing uptempo physical game. Fast heavy forecheck, wheels going 60 minutes, finish your checks type hockey. Bruins need to be more hammer than nail. Force the opposition to react to our forechecking/ defense physicality.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I feel like their Achilles heel has been their inability to stay healthy on defense.
100% this.

Lindholm last year, Carlo and Grz in prior years. Entire series changed by those guys going down and having to play a spare that didn’t belong in a playoff lineup. Adding another impact defenseman provides insurance there.

Like I said days ago- Gavrikov and Barbashev would be my ideal deadline. Add some size on the backend and both add to the team being tough to play against

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I just want more scoring just to be sure. This team is special and donny has to give it's best shot. My hope is some D and some scoring and go for a run. If its gavrikov fine but I want more scoring depth . I'm sure donny is gonna address it.

Its 5 to 3 now ? Is my book it make your criteria now?
Sweeney will go “el cheapo” and add Luke Schenn for a 3rd and Sean Kuraly for a 5th. Book it.

bp14

Mar 17, 2022

Agree with all of this. Just don’t think 4/5 dman is worth that pick. I’d be aiming higher for some secondary scoring as well, and if not that, at least use a first for a guy like Chychrun. He’s an impact player at least.

If those options aren’t there, keep it and give up less to add a Schenn or a 4th line guy.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Agree with all of this. Just don’t think 4/5 dman is worth that pick. I’d be aiming higher for some secondary scoring as well, and if not that, at least use a first for a guy like Chychrun. He’s an impact player at least.

If those options aren’t there, keep it and give up less to add a Schenn or a 4th line guy.
Have to do business as business is done.

Reactions: dugg133

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Rather stick with Beecher as he’s a center. But kudos for thinking outside the box. I think by 2pm tomorrow we will be discussing a new addition
I've been beating the drums to snag foudy on the low if gavrikov is coming. You never know a high pick like that finds his game. Look at owen tippett for flyers he was a throw in for the Giroux deal. He found himself.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I've been beating the drums to snag foudy on the low if gavrikov is coming. You never know a high pick like that finds his game. Look at owen tippett for flyers he was a throw in for the Giroux deal. He found himself.
Don you at least have to spend some passing respect to roster spots and who we may actually feel comfortable in the playoffs though.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013

This post is all nodding, smiling and feeling genuine affection.

Then it sucker punches you right in the Bjugstad.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Have to do business as business is done.
I agree. All joking aside, you have to pay the price sometimes.

We COULD go into next year with no Krejci, Bergeron, or Pasta. I don’t think all of that will happen, but as things stand that is at least a possibility.

At the same time, we also have the best chance of going all the way this year we’re likely to see.

Ive been hard on Sweeney in the past but he has put together one hell of a team and I am enjoying this year immensly.

I believe Sweeney knows what we can add to give us the best chance possible and I think he’s working hard to do that.

Bruins Cap situation, and the fact that we are one of real favorites this year, is going to make other GM’s hold our feet to fire. So be it.

Unless prices are insane (who really knows what is true and what is smoke) in this situation you pay the price and go for it hard.

No guarantees, but if we were to win the Cup this year I’m more than happy to worry about the future in the future.

Go for it, Donny.

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
Rather stick with Beecher as he’s a center. But kudos for thinking outside the box. I think by 2pm tomorrow we will be discussing a new addition
Based on what? I don't think they make a move during the road trip. Sweeney's going to have to take this down to the wire to avoid overpaying and I doubt he wants to upset anyone while they're on a tough trip. I'd wager we don't see a move until 3/1 at the earliest.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Based on what? I don't think they make a move during the road trip. Sweeney's going to have to take this down to the wire to avoid overpaying and I doubt he wants to upset anyone while they're on a tough trip. I'd wager we don't see a move until 3/1 at the earliest.

Anything is possible, but if Sweeney has actually agreed to a trade as some claim, and just needs to make the secondary move, I can't imagine that sitting incomplete for another week

Reactions: Gordoff and Bodit9

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
228C8996-04E2-4264-B975-25CA4635DDA1.png

Lol, I saw this on the ESPN App and took a screenshot. Still no one has edited it. Can you spot the typo?! Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad