GDT: 2024 NHL Trade Deadline

How many trades do the Avs make?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

avsfan2189

Jun 22, 2019
The Avs are definitely gonna have some tough decisions to make this summer though, especially if Landy does come back.

If Mittelstadt signs for $6.5M(Which seems reasonable). They're basically at ~$82.5M with this roster:

Lehky - Mack - Mikko
Landy - Mitts - Nuke
Wood - Colton - ???
??? - ??? - LOC

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
??? - ???

George
???

$5M in cap space to fill out 6 roster spots just to field the bare minimum. 6 guys on $800k league minimum deals would barely fit at $4.8M. But our ELC guys aren't going to be league minimum deals either. Kovalenko is at $900k, Ritchie will almost certainly be $950k. Behrens if he signs will be for a max ELC of like $975k. Malinski next year is $850k. Annunen as the backup is gonna be close to $1M, maybe even slightly higher.

They're gonna have to move at least one person. Whether it's Manson, or a winger. I dont think they move Colton this summer but he could be a casualty next summer if Ritchie makes the jump and they have him take over 3C.

Personally, I really do think moving Lehkonen for a nice haul of futures, and re-signing Drouin for like ~$2.5-3M would be a smart move. Then if you can re-sign Walker for ~$3-3.5M you do that and send Manson out as well. Between those two moves you create $2.5-3.5M in space which gives you the wiggle room to fit everything else in.

i agree

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Which comparable dmen are you referring to?

Maybe if a team misses out on the many comparable defenders on the FA market, or if the FA market just ends up being way over priced.

Yeah.. replacing Manson isn't going to be as easy as some make it sound.

Of the big right handed shots that may move he's on the higher end.

I didn't see the main board thread, but a 4th for EJ seemed expensive for basically a locker room presence at this point.

On the other hand you get JJ for a bag of pucks.

Reactions: Balthazar

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
OK, looking at next season, let's pretend the Avs would be willing to trade Rantanen (doubt they will, but what the hell). What is a realistic return?

Not sure that we have a recent trade that we could compare it to. The Eichel trade maybe? I realize that's not a perfect comparison at all, but is there anything closer over the past few years?
Eichel returned a 1st, a 2nd, a good roster player, and a good prospect. That correct?

Would Rantanen bring something similar?

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
We have the second best forward in hockey, the best defenseman in hockey and a winger that is currently sitting at #7 in points leaguewide.

All of them in their prime. Our generation will never see something like that again, that's for sure.
I remember when the Avs had the best forward in hockey, who sadly had his spleen beaten to a pulp by a talentless LA Kings team (the refs, once again, did fvck all). Another amazing Center who had ice in his veins and a vicious wrist shot. And a fabulous, yet aged, D-Man who finally got to lift the Cup (granted, not in his prime but Adam Foote was).

And I watched another team I loved dominate the game a generation earlier. I'll be here for Avs 3.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
I remember when the Avs had the best forward in hockey, who sadly had his spleen beaten to a pulp by a talentless LA Kings team (the refs, once again, did fvck all). Another amazing Center who had ice in his veins and a vicious wrist shot. And a fabulous, yet aged, D-Man who finally got to lift the Cup (granted, not in his prime but Adam Foote was).

And I watched another team I loved dominate the game a generation earlier. I'll be here for Avs 3.
That goalie Avs 1.0 had was pretty good too

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
OK, looking at next season, let's pretend the Avs would be willing to trade Rantanen (doubt they will, but what the hell). What is a realistic return?

Not sure that we have a recent trade that we could compare it to. The Eichel trade maybe? I realize that's not a perfect comparison at all, but is there anything closer over the past few years?
Eichel returned a 1st, a 2nd, a good roster player, and a good prospect. That correct?

It's usually pick/player/prospect so that makes sense. Don't think the return will be quite as good (I realize Krebs hasn't developed as projected but he was still an ace prospect at the time) so I could see that happening. Some kind of rostered player will have to come back I imagine, it's just a reality of the cap.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

It might be less quantity, as I think you replace the picks with a guy closer to breaking in. Either that or it's a multi team deal. So maybe two younger roster players, and a prospect in the end.

Cmac is in my mind the mastermind behind the Duchene trade, but I'll admit I thought he fell into a hole and wouldn't put the lotion on.

This is where you maybe target a Zegras type player as well, not saying Mikko goes to Anaheim, but if you have to take futures. The rub is you're not hoping hes going to turn into a franchise center, just a productive intelligent winger.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Avs44

May 16, 2011
You won't be here for Ritchie, Gulaleyev and Kovalenko?
The future MacKinnon, Makar, and Rantanen of the AHL. We'll all become Colorado Eagles fans after a lengthy arena dispute sees the Avalanche moved. It'll feel just the same.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith

There are two facets to a Rants trade in the offseason:

1- What is the direct return in the trade? We'll argue about this until the bovine return to home.

2- Who are we able to keep on the roster with the salary cap money we free up in the deal? This is the crux of the matter in making the trade, and this facet deserves appropriate attention.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Hard to say. If they trade him without an extension in place, I think you're looking at a mostly futures package. Maybe with a decent young winger but not really established Top 6 guy. Like for example, a Kakko + NYR 1st + Othmann sort of package.

But, if you can do a sign/trade sort of situation then I'd say you could probably get a pretty high end player replacement for him. For example, something like say Keller + ARI 1st. Obviously it feels pretty unlikely Mikko would agree to a sign/trade with Arizona, but from a value perspective that would be the type of return I'd expect he gets as a sign and trade.

Ultimately I think it's extremely unlikely he gets traded, even if there's a legitimate argument to be made about it being better for our cap situation and depth in the long run. They'll move other guys to keep Mikko around IMO.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

1- What is the direct return in the trade? We'll argue about this until the bovine return to home.

2- Who are we able to keep on the roster with the salary cap money we free up in the deal? This is the crux of the matter in making the trade, and this facet deserves appropriate attention.

To #2

While I think this trade will need to happen I have my doubts it will. If it does we will lose the trade because of this.

I can totally see both sides. Keep him at all costs, or restructure.

The trick will be keeping it from being the first move of a retool that turns bad.

Hard to say. If they trade him without an extension in place, I think you're looking at a mostly futures package. Maybe with a decent young winger but not really established Top 6 guy. Like for example, a Kakko + NYR 1st + Othmann sort of package.

But, if you can do a sign/trade sort of situation then I'd say you could probably get a pretty high end player replacement for him. For example, something like say Keller + ARI 1st. Obviously it feels pretty unlikely Mikko would agree to a sign/trade with Arizona, but from a value perspective that would be the type of return I'd expect he gets as a sign and trade.

Ultimately I think it's extremely unlikely he gets traded, even if there's a legitimate argument to be made about it being better for our cap situation and depth in the long run. They'll move other guys to keep Mikko around IMO.

It's going to be very difficult to replicate the Duchene trade, and that will be what people expect.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Potentially quite a bit.

For arguments sake, let's say they trade Mikko for a pure futures haul. No current roster players. Say they get both Philly 2025 1sts(So our own back + there's) + Oliver Bonk as the return.

That would free up $9.25M in cap space essentially. With that money they could:

- Re-sign Walker to 4x$4M
- Re-Sign Drouin to 6x$3M
- Re-Sign Trenin to 4x$2M
- Re-Sign Duhaime to 2x$1M

And have a roster for next year of:

Drouin - Mack - Landy
Lehky - Mittelstadt - Nuke
Wood - Colton - LOC
Duhaime - Trenin - Kovalenko

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Walker - Malinski

George
Annunen

Assuming Mittelstadt signs for $6.5M and Annunen at $1M, that group would be at $86.175M. Which means enough to maybe squeeze two more league minimum guys for 13th forward and 8th Dman.

Yes, losing Rantanen would certainly hurt the Top 6. But you're also gaining Landy back. And otherwise the entire roster stays in tact. And on top of that you'd have:

2024 1st(Whoever we take)
2025 1st
2025 1st(PHI)
Oliver Bonk
Cal Ritchie
Mikhail Gulyayev

All at our disposal to upgrade the roster at next years deadline. We could easily grab next years Jake Guentzel as a rental and only need to give up 1/6 of those pieces.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
Winning or losing "the trade" will play out over years because of the two factors that must be considered. Certainly we want the re-tool to be successful, and we hope the brain trust makes the right moves.

In my view Rants may well ask for more than MacK, and the Avs will have no team depth if they give him 13 mil+. Our window closes and we gnash our teeth for years. Or we bite the bullet and make a deal, maybe we do not get the direct return we'd hope for, but we also keep Lehkonen and Nuke, while having the ability to readily sign Mitts, Walker, and others. Others may see things differently.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Potentially quite a bit.

For arguments sake, let's say they trade Mikko for a pure futures haul. No current roster players. Say they get both Philly 2025 1sts(So our own back + there's) + Oliver Bonk as the return.

That would free up $9.25M in cap space essentially. With that money they could:

- Re-sign Walker to 4x$4M
- Re-Sign Drouin to 6x$3M
- Re-Sign Trenin to 4x$2M
- Re-Sign Duhaime to 2x$1M

And have a roster for next year of:

Drouin - Mack - Landy
Lehky - Mittelstadt - Nuke
Wood - Colton - LOC
Duhaime - Trenin - Kovalenko

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Walker - Malinski

George
Annunen

Assuming Mittelstadt signs for $6.5M and Annunen at $1M, that group would be at $86.175M. Which means enough to maybe squeeze two more league minimum guys for 13th forward and 8th Dman.

Yes, losing Rantanen would certainly hurt the Top 6. But you're also gaining Landy back. And otherwise the entire roster stays in tact. And on top of that you'd have:

2024 1st(Whoever we take)
2025 1st
2025 1st(PHI)
Oliver Bonk
Cal Ritchie
Mikhail Gulyayev

All at our disposal to upgrade the roster at next years deadline. We could easily grab next years Jake Guentzel as a rental and only need to give up 1/6 of those pieces.

So it's ok to admit Drouin has been a success? Bednar doesn't seem willing to yet if he loads up the top line.

Reactions: niwotsblessing
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad