Valeri Nichushkin placed in NHLPA assistance program stage 3 - suspended without pay for min. 6 months

Status
Not open for further replies.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
That would require the concept of responsibility, which is taboo apparently now. Like how Nichushkin was responsible to his club and his teammate when he signed that contract.

It's not like these guys have biological predispositions that make them extra vulnerable, like native americans who genetically cannot process alcohol - even though I am aware that growing up in Russia in the 90's wasn't a good environment, there's still a dimension here that he has to own.
well this shit's been handwaved away twice already after he was handed millions of dollars, why wouldn't he believe he's immune again? probably still hanging out with the same people, going to the same clubs, hasn't hired anyone to help him, etc etc

FoxYou727

May 12, 2024
Los Angeles
What is 'stage 3'?

Is it safe to assume he has an actual problem? or is it possible he just does a drug recrationally here and there, and just got caught?
He 100% does, no doubt at this point. That situation in Seattle was very weird. Most players in pro sports abuse drugs like coke and alcohol, opiates too but it is probably happens after the team prescribed them

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
What is 'stage 3'?

Is it safe to assume he has an actual problem? or is it possible he just does a drug recrationally here and there, and just got caught?
what does it matter? same as being on probation, you've done wrong and part of the consequences demands that you change your behavior regardless as to whether it's "fair" or not

Reactions: DaveG and Cas

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Wow. Another playoffs miss due to Nuke.

Wonder what's up with the timing? Are drug tests done before every playoff game and he was recently caught?

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
What a clown. This is why guys like him, Girard, Drouin etc. are not worth the effort. They are ticking bombs that explode at the worst possible time.

Nickushkin needs to leave the game and sort out his life.
Wasn’t Drouin’s leave of absence based on anxiety? (if I’m mistaking then the rest of my statement doesn’t apply) If so, how the hell are you lumping him into the same category as someone with addiction? One happens by choices that were made while the other does not.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
My biggest takeaway here is that Nuke used up a lot of his good will here. He missed last year's playoffs by messing around. He missed half the season rehabbing. Now he's missing the playoffs again at a critical time.

Wish the guy recovery, but he's also a professional making millions and has already been given two chances to get through mistakes and recover. At some point the team has to protect themselves from going through this again.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
I'm not sure I have all the facts, from what I've seen now he failed a drug test, but we have no idea he failed a drug test for which drug, If it's a performance enhancing drug it's 100% deserved, if it's cocaine or another drug he uses because he's addicted or likes to have fun I don't see why he should be suspended for it.
You’re getting suspended at any line of work for failing a drug test multiple times.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
Wow. Another playoffs miss due to Nuke.

Wonder what's up with the timing? Are drug tests done before every playoff game and he was recently caught?
last i checked, every player gets tested randomly twice during the season and there's some number of random players who are tested during the playoffs. that said, it would stand to logic that a player in the program for drugs of abuse would have conditions baked into that program that would demand more testing

Reactions: DaveG

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
what does it matter? same as being on probation, you've done wrong and part of the consequences demands that you change your behavior regardless as to whether it's "fair" or not

Well if he's just been doing drugs recreationally and has no issue whatsoever with addiction, then it would be heck of a lot harder to sympathize with him here. He knew what the consequences were, and decided he'd take his chances, hurting his team in the process.

If he's addicted, anyone who has dealt with friends and family members who have gone through the same thing knows how the other aspects of their lives (in this case hockey) inevitably fall apart. It's tragic to witness. Of course at the end of the day he's responsible for putting in the work and staying sober, and he's been given all the resources anyone could ever ask for do so. But still, it's not easy and it can take people years to finally recover, if they ever do.

You hope for the best for him, but if you're the Avalanche you probably have to start making plans to move on from him.

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
I don’t agree with drug use but as long as it’s not PEDs I don’t see why it matters. There’s no way he’s the only one in the league using drugs. Assuming he’s a coke head or something that only negatively affects himself. Either way hopefully he gets the help he needs
It matters because (in the case of your comment) it’s illegal activity.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Have to think he's done in Colorado and probably in the NHL. Can't see teams taking anymore of a risk in offering him anything. I was always hopeful he'd worked out in Dallas and was glad to see he was performing in Colorado but man this has got to sting for everyone involved. I hope he buries his demons and can come out of this far better.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
last i checked, every player gets tested randomly twice during the season and there's some number of random players who are tested during the playoffs. that said, it would stand to logic that a player in the program for drugs of abuse would have conditions baked into that program that would demand more testing
Tough break for the Avs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad