Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It could happen.

If Landy is on the payroll and Mitts is in the 6M range next year we're losing Drouin and two of Manson Walker or Colton.

Landy/Mikko - Mack - Lehky
Nuke - CM37 -
Wood - Colton

Toews - Makar

Justice Dredd

Everything else just throw shit at the wall and see what sticks.

Cmac talking about the 2C being difficult, mentioned the 3C as well. If they trade Colton before Richie is ready I'll be very surprised.

I think the bones of the team are in place outside of the goalie. If you look at it that way the odds Mikko is the casualty go up, way up if Landy really does return, like it or not.

He's trying his best to mimic Chicago before they cracked down on the dumb contracts. If you can lock in those positions inflation makes it easier to build around and have longer term success.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I don't know why but I get a different feel with Landy and his injury woes than I did with Forsberg and his. I think Landy is probably a little more well balanced in that I think he's setting himself up for the best possible chance at a comeback. But if it doesn't work, I don't think we'll see 10 more attempts. I think he LTIRetires at training camp if he's not comfortable with where he's at.

I just don't see this dragging out past this season. Man, I hope I'm right.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
What a weird goal. That whole play looks like it was only going 2 MPH, then bam. Very smart by Bo to just hammer that as it floated to him. Caught the goalie completely off guard.
I think he's going to make a shitload of points with first pairing minutes next to Dahlin.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Can he though? Which D men got moved similar to him at this deadline? Maybe Tanev? The Leafs were in the market for defensive size / depth this year and all they could find were two replacement-level players.
Tanev, Schenn(although he's worse than Manson), Kulak, Lauzon, Demelo, Dillon, Siegenthaler, Jensen, Cole, Stone, and Hainsey have all been moved since 2017 for less than a 1st.

Starting to feel uneasy yet?

No...?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Mario Ferraro making 1.75m less than Girard could help, familiarity with Cale too

I'd target him but don't think we move G and we don't need another LD.

The play is to re-sign Walker for like $3.5-$4M. Then move Manson and replace him with the bottom pairing version of him for way cheaper.

Toews - Makar
Girard - Walker

Would be a fantastic Top 4. And even though Walker is only 5'11 he doesn't play like it at all. He absorbs contact quite well and throws hits frequently also.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
Well, if you want to keep players for reasonable contracts you have to win. 😁

I'll have to keep an eye on him, but they obviously as much as the players and fans hate each other are willing to make deals.
I have no idea what his analytics are like. Just had a coworker who was one of his best friends so I used to hear a lot about him. He’s managed to hold his own as Karlsson’s partner in SJ and with Spurgeon for much of his time in Minny. He’s a big hard nosed defensive minded D and if he can play with Spurgeon should be able to partner with Walker behind a Toews-Makar pairing just fine while making something like 2.1 next season on the last 3 of his 3 year deal

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
I think he's going to make a shitload of points with first pairing minutes next to Dahlin.
That wasn't ever going to happen here so ultimately the choices were to watch Byram play to about 80% of his potential with the Avs until he was ready to contribute BOTH offensively and defensively on the top pair or deal him for a young 60 point C who might still also have untapped potential.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Not even a little..

If Bo breaks out, and CM37 stays a 60 point 2C I'll still be happy. Bo wasn't going to do it here.

The only way the trade becomes dog shit is if Casey turns into a pumpkin.
I'm not too worried about Mitts turning into a pumpkin. I do however have concerns about Toews over the next 3 years. There's a lot of risks with all these players, but I do think the Avs made the right call here.

I'm still bitter and think we should have re-signed Kadri by trading Compher and not re-signing Manson, but now that we're here, I think this was the most logical course.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

The play is to re-sign Walker for like $3.5-$4M. Then move Manson and replace him with the bottom pairing version of him for way cheaper.

Toews - Makar
Girard - Walker

Would be a fantastic Top 4. And even though Walker is only 5'11 he doesn't play like it at all. He absorbs contact quite well and throws hits frequently also.
I'd be pretty surprised if Walker was willing to re-sign for that amount. He's not a bottom pairing guy - he's at least a #4D.

If the Avs want to keep him, it's likely going to cost more than that.

We'll see how he fits in but last summer Graves signed for $4.5M and Gudas for $4M...I think he's better than guys like that. My guess is that he'd probably cost the same as Sammy G. so something like 5x$5M or 4x$5M.

I could see it happening though and the Avs moving Manson in the process.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't know why but I get a different feel with Landy and his injury woes than I did with Forsberg and his. I think Landy is probably a little more well balanced in that I think he's setting himself up for the best possible chance at a comeback. But if it doesn't work, I don't think we'll see 10 more attempts. I think he LTIRetires at training camp if he's not comfortable with where he's at.

I just don't see this dragging out past this season. Man, I hope I'm right.

I actually think the decision will be earlier. During or after the playoffs if we're lucky. I don't want to make a prediction but I think he's fully back at a high level, at least a 60-70 point two way winger, or he moves into coaching.

I don't think it's going to drag out either. This seems like one of those things where either the surgery worked or it didn't. His conditioning is up there with guys like Crosby and Mack as far as what he expects of himself.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Toews - Makar
Girard - Walker

We'll see how things play out in the playoffs. I have a feeling every year we'll be changing pieces success or not.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm not too worried about Mitts turning into a pumpkin. I do however have concerns about Toews over the next 3 years. There's a lot of risks with all these players, but I do think the Avs made the right call here.

I'm still bitter and think we should have re-signed Kadri by trading Compher and not re-signing Manson, but now that we're here, I think this was the most logical course.

I'm trying not to live in the past.. Although Kadri as a 3C, or T6 wing in a couple years could be fun.

I'm just going to root for Bo unless we're playing them.

I have a lot of confidence in Casey, he plays the right way, and has talent.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I'm trying not to live in the past.. Although Kadri as a 3C, or T6 wing in a couple years could be fun.

I'm just going to root for Bo unless we're playing them.

I have a lot of confidence in Casey, he plays the right way, and has talent.
Not to mention I believe Casey probably had a higher endorsement from our pro-scouting department than RyJo.

I think I would want it noted in my annual review that I was not okay with RyJo if I was one of the scouts.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'd be pretty surprised if Walker was willing to re-sign for that amount. He's not a bottom pairing guy - he's at least a #4D.

If the Avs want to keep him, it's likely going to cost more than that.

We'll see how he fits in but last summer Graves signed for $4.5M and Gudas for $4M...I think he's better than guys like that. My guess is that he'd probably cost the same as Sammy G. so something like 5x$5M or 4x$5M.

I could see it happening though and the Avs moving Manson in the process.

Yeah I was personally putting him more on Girard's level based on everything out there. This is where you hope there was some backroom talks to get a sense, and that being a good team helps.

If it plays out that way and it's a difficult choice it's a good thing though.

Not to mention I believe Casey probably had a higher endorsement from our pro-scouting department than RyJo.

I think I would want it noted in my annual review that I was not okay with RyJo if I was one of the scouts.

Lmao yeah, but Cmac isn't firing himself.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Happy for Bo, but its wayyyy too early to write off Mitts at all. He's played one game after one practice in a system that's notorious for taking players time to adjust to.

I'm giving it 10 games before I let anything come into my mind as far as judgement, but really it's the rest of this season and playoffs that we should be patient.

He's taken time to adjust, but always has.. Which is something you can point to as a positive in his history. Hopefully it takes less time with a new team than at different levels of hockey.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I feel like the thing lost in all of this is what the Avs did as a bigger group. The team looks a lot better even short handed.

Also Walker is a god dam gem. Considering they unloaded Ryjo for this season and next, and a 1st to me really offsets any concern I'd have about losing Bo on D. Walker is a perfect fit back there. Bo just wasn't.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca

Toews - Makar
Girard - Walker

The problem with this is you have another undersized guy in Malinski on the 3rd pair. There's no beef in that lineup.

I think it might be smarter trading Girard over Manson as he's easier to replace. Maybe you trade them both and get 2 new LHDs for Walker + Malinski to pair with. But I think we keep a bruiser like Manson on the right side as long as he's healthy. I'm sure he will prove his worth once again in the post season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad