GDT: 2024 NHL Trade Deadline

How many trades do the Avs make?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Has anyone run some potential rosters with some of the new guys for next year?

Who can we afford to keep?

Unless Mitts signs a cheap bridge deal and walks, with Bo having the lowest cap hit among the options they had to move a D man, it will cost at least one player next year if Landy comes back.

I believe the cap is rumored to be around $87.5M, last we heard in December.

Drouin probably won't come back now, but if Mitts signs for $6M+, they'll also have to move someone else under contract on this team to fit under the cap now too. Manson or Lehky seem like the only guys to move to cut costs.

Even with league minimum salaries for the guys not under contract in the lineup below (Annunen, Wagner, Kivi, JJ, Jones) it's a fair amount over the expected cap. I have Mitt's making $7M here, but even if he gets $6M, they'll have to cut someone else out if Landy comes back.

So looks like either Mitts signs a cheap $5.5M bridge deal, and likely walks to UFA in a couple years, or he signs long term and they have to lose a couple players in Drouin+.

Can't get any cheaper than the roster below with the guy's re-signed making league min, and anything less than a 21 man roster isn't realistic.

Mikko, LOC, and Georgiev are UFA's, and Malinski and Kovalenko are RFA's the following year too, so the resulting impact from the moves this year, will have an impact then as well.

2024-25-Avs-Roster.png

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Manson might have to get swapped with Malinski or Behrens full time to save 3.5 or so million.
Pretty much. There are ultra agressive, expensive, "cheating" options to have Landy come back and be able to keep everyone, but I'd be shocked if they ever go that route.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Two different options give us a lot of flexibility to maintain decent depth. LTIR Landeskog or trade Rantanen.

Both of those options could have a profound impact on this team though.

On ice contribution aside, we've seen the impact of Landy's loss in leadership on team chemistry and IMO it's resiliency, even when he's only been around part time this year.

And despite Mikko not playing like he's capable of, he still makes lots of very smart passes and plays in the O zone to help set up Nate, and give him the puck in full flight in the neutral zone to score off the rush.

That's why Mikko's on pace for 106 points. Very difficult to replace that 1 for 1, and even trying to replace him by committee, could make the team worse.

I could be wrong, but I feel like management is planning on both being around though long term too. They seem to value Nate's opinion and I doubt he wants them to lose Mikko. They always play together for a reason.

So that means there's a good chance they have to find another way.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Manson might have to get swapped with Malinski or Behrens full time to save 3.5 or so million.

Very true. Yes to save some money but moreso to avoid having 4.5 M tied up on a player who has a decent chance of missing 60 games.

Girard might need to be dealt too.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
I hate to say it, but the Landeskog contract is the real anchor starting next year.

We’re talking about trading Mikko, but there’s only $2M difference in salary between the two players. One of them is a top winger in the game and the other one hasn’t played in two years.

Landy not playing in the playoffs would put the team in a really difficult position going into next season, simply because they’re once again in limbo with his injury status.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I hate to say it, but the Landeskog contract is the real anchor starting next year.

We’re talking about trading Mikko, but there’s only $2M difference in salary between the two players. One of them is a top winger in the game and the other one hasn’t played in two years.

Landy not playing in the playoffs would put the team in a really difficult position going into next season, simply because they’re once again in limbo with his injury status.

Very true. We can only hope he returns to his normal level because otherwise he just becomes baggage to this team. (Something we can't afford).

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Maybe, maybe not. Landy is only making $7M for the next 6 years. Mikko is gonna be making $12-13M in 1 year from now.

Landy's contract is only am anchor if he comes back and is washed up. If he comes back as a legit Top 6 forward again his deal is good. If he LTIRetires it doesn't hurt at all and is likely very easy to move.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
Maybe, maybe not. Landy is only making $7M for the next 6 years. Mikko is gonna be making $12-13M in 1 year from now.

Landy's contract is only am anchor if he comes back and is washed up. If he comes back as a legit Top 6 forward again his deal is good. If he LTIRetires it doesn't hurt at all and is likely very easy to move.

Gabe’s also 4 years older than Rantanen, with a game that probably doesn’t age as well.

I dunno… I think the Avs offence would really suffer without Mikko and he is a very unique player in terms of ability and size for the playoffs.

I’d like to see them try Ritchie as a 3rd liner next year to see if there’s an opportunity to use him as a cheap contract. Either way, there’s going to need to be some shuffling next offseason.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Gabe’s also 4 years older than Rantanen, with a game that probably doesn’t age as well.

I dunno… I think the Avs offence would really suffer without Mikko and he is a very unique player in terms of ability and size for the playoffs.

I’d like to see them try Ritchie as a 3rd liner next year to see if there’s an opportunity to use him as a cheap contract. Either way, there’s going to need to be some shuffling next offseason.
Gabe is a fitness freak and doesn't smoke though

NateTheGreat

Mar 19, 2012
Winnipeg
If Landeskog returns to form next year and they re-sign Mitts, the Avs will have the best top 6 in the league along with the leagues best D pair. I'd say there's a chance they try Ritchie at 3W with Colton and Wood to form a solid third line as well. The rest will have to be manoeuvred around.

Lehky-Mack-Rantanen
Landy-Mitts-Nuke
Wood-Colton-Ritchie

Toews-Makar

Nasty.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
If Landeskog returns to form next year and they re-sign Mitts, the Avs will have the best top 6 in the league along with the leagues best D pair. I'd say there's a chance they try Ritchie at 3W with Colton and Wood to form a solid third line as well. The rest will have to be manoeuvred around.

Lehky-Mack-Rantanen
Landy-Mitts-Nuke
Wood-Colton-Ritchie

Toews-Makar

Nasty.
You couldn't see kovalenko in that 3rw spot next year?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think Manson's contract was designed specifically so he could be traded this Summer. I believe that 100% happens.

Most likely Manson or less likely Lehknonen seem to be the spots to cut cost.

Don't see them moving Girard anymore and Toews just re-signed.

Manson is easier to lose, but he won't be easy to replace with limited cap space. Especially his playoff game and the way he skates for a big physical defenseman.

He's been good offensively this year too. Was 4th (now 3rd with Bo gone) in points and even strength points, and 4th (now 3rd) in goals and even strength goals behind Toews and Makar.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida

This. The worst case scenario for us with regards to Landy is him returning as a washed bottom 6 player and this, unfortunately, is likely the outcome if he even does come back. It actually wouldn't be so bad if he just LTIRetired by comparison.

Alienblood

Nov 22, 2021
Most likely Manson or less likely Lehknonen seem to be the spots to cut cost.

Don't see them moving Girard anymore and Toews just re-signed.

Manson is easier to lose, but he won't be easy to replace with limited cap space. Especially his playoff game and the way he skates for a big physical defenseman.

He's been good offensively this year too. Was 4th (now 3rd with Bo gone) in points and even strength points, and 4th (now 3rd) in goals and even strength goals behind Toews and Makar.
I'd move Mikko before Lehkonen

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

If he's going to LTIR the Avs can also just vegas the contract and then be able to use that cap space.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
It would be very important for the club to have Landeskog play in the playoffs. That way there will be a lot more certainty about whether he can truly play in the future or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad