• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
So it's ok to admit Drouin has been a success? Bednar doesn't seem willing to yet if he loads up the top line.

Ya Drouin has easily been a success IMO. The production overall is only slightly above what I thought it would be(I figured 45-50 points, he's on pace for what 55?), but he's fully bought into the forechecking, the defensive work, he's arguably the hardest backchecker now... Just completely bought into playing the way Bednar wants his guys to play.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Nearly all the players the Avs have brought in recently have been some version of a success. That bodes well for the Mitts addition as well.

The only players that didn't really, were RJ and Tatar, and IMO that's because neither made an effort to adapt their game to Bednar's system.

They just thought they could play the same way and have success, and to make it worse, RJ thought he could just put in 50% effort all year up until his last week or so, and that would be enough.

If you look at how Drouin has played this year, he didn't have a great start or fit in well, but then he started moving his feet more, forechecked harder, and had a great work ethic, and thus became a good fit on the team, and is producing well offensively because of it.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Ya Drouin has easily been a success IMO. The production overall is only slightly above what I thought it would be(I figured 45-50 points, he's on pace for what 55?), but he's fully bought into the forechecking, the defensive work, he's arguably the hardest backchecker now... Just completely bought into playing the way Bednar wants his guys to play.

I joke, but he really will be key to keeping Mack happy if we actually explore trading Mikko.

I think it's actually impressive he's on pace for about 50 considering his usage. Way different player than Nuke, but he's taken the same approach.

Playing this way actually seems to help him avoid getting smeared constantly as well. Knock on wood

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I joke, but he really will be key to keeping Mack happy if we actually explore trading Mikko.

I think it's actually impressive he's on pace for about 50 considering his usage. Way different player than Nuke, but he's taken the same approach.

Playing this way actually seems to help him avoid getting smeared constantly as well. Knock on wood

Problem with that is, Drouin may not be here after this year. I guess maybe they move Mikko in the offseason if that's what you mean. I still think that seems pretty unlikely, but it could certainly happen.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Problem with that is, Drouin may not be here after this year. I guess maybe he signs another one year deal, and maybe they bring him back though. That would be interesting.

It will depend, but if there is a chance he signs one more one year deal it is because our front office is a fk ton more trustworthy than Vegas.

Sometimes we want them to operate with no emotion, but these are the benefits.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It will depend, but if there is a chance he signs one more one year deal it is because our front office is a fk ton more trustworthy than Vegas.

Sometimes we want them to operate with no emotion, but these are the benefits.

I actually think the Avs do a pretty good job of operating with no emotion. More than most.

Sakic traded his buddy Tangs for Boedker at the deadline, instead of letting him retire an Av. They didn't stop Bednar from taking the A off respected vets like Igninla and McLeod his first year.

Trading guys they just signed like Tatar and RJ during their first season, is fairly uncommon too, and obviously they didn't let emotion get in the way of trading Bo to load up this year.

I think that's a positive.

The Vegas strategy may be too, but everything has to work perfectly, otherwise you can quickly end up a rebuilding team after trading away all your assets, and one that nobody wants to sign with, because you may have to uproot your family again when they may ship you out the next day.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
The Vegas strategy may be too, but everything has to work perfectly, otherwise you can quickly end up a rebuilding after trading away all your assets, and one that nobody wants to sign with, because you may have to uproot your family again when they may ship you out the next day.
Vegas can only do what they are doing because of where they are located. If they tried to execute the same aggressive playbook they had now and were in Winnipeg, the franchise would have folded by now.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Vegas can only do what they are doing because of where they are located. If they tried to execute the same aggressive playbook they had now and were in Winnipeg, the franchise would have folded by now.

Totally agree. I always wonder how well it would work though if they didn't get gifted a Cup contending team out the gate, or whenever they eventually have to rebuild.

Vegas has it's perks to live in, even though many who do don't frequent the strip, but I think it's just as much that they've been a contender since day 1 and players want to win.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I actually think the Avs do a pretty good job of operating with no emotion. More than most.

Sakic traded his buddy Tangs for Boedker at the deadline, instead of letting him retire an Av. They didn't stop Bednar from taking the A off respected vets like Igninla and McLeod his first year.

Trading guys they just signed like Tatar and RJ during their first season, is fairly uncommon too, and obviously they didn't let emotion get in the way of trading Bo to load up this year.

The Vegas strategy may be too, but everything has to work perfectly, otherwise you can quickly end up a rebuilding team after trading away all your assets, and one that nobody wants to sign with, because you may have to uproot your family again when they may ship you out the next day.

More balance is the point. I don't think anyone can say Tartar and Ryjo were not given a fair shot.

It just makes it more likely they can say to Drouin, this off-season things are too tight, but if you give us one more year a longer deal is possible, and be believed if there is a chance of it at all.

I think Drouin's future here is tied to the Landy/Mikko narrative, but he's good, and is likely to play ball on a contract. He clearly wants to be here, and can hold down a top six role, but doesn't disappear if he's moved down either.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
More balance is the point. I don't think anyone can say Tartar and Ryjo were not given a fair shot.

It just makes it more likely they can say to Drouin, this off-season things are too tight, but if you give us one more year a longer deal is possible, and be believed if there is a chance of it at all.

I think Drouin's future here is tied to the Landy/Mikko narrative, but he's good, and is likely to play ball on a contract. He clearly wants to be here, and can hold down a top six role, but doesn't disappear if he's moved down either.

Yeah they certainly had as much of a chance as Drouin got.

He got scratched along with Tatar a month into the season, and has played outside the top six this year as well. He just adapted his game and they didn't.

Don't think RJ got scratched once this year. The 2C role was there for a taking all year too. Nobody really filled it. They just bumped Colton's 3rd line up to 2nd line minutes.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Manson can be replaced at the TDL pretty easily if he gets moved.
Can he though? Which D men got moved similar to him at this deadline? Maybe Tanev? The Leafs were in the market for defensive size / depth this year and all they could find were two replacement-level players.

Last edited:

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I think if you move Manson you look at Colin Miller as a replacement. Although the net of that won't save you much money and it might be a pretty significant downgrade.

Ideally we could re-sign Walker to a longer term deal in the 3.5M range but I don't think he'll bit on that.

With Bo gone, it will be really interesting how we address our D with the cap situation. Mikko should be moved but he won't. We can't have a Girard - Malinski pairing, and we can't realistically ship out both Girard and Manson and expect to have a legitimate 2nd pair for much under 9.5M

IMO the 2024 1st should be packaged with a prospect (i.e. Behrnes) and used as currency in a trade to get an RFA Dman or a guy at a reasonable cap-hit that could fill in on the 2nd pair. Who that is? I'm not sure at them moment..

But honestly I'd probably rather move Girard. I love the guy, but with Gulayayev and Behrens and Malinksi to an extent, I think he's more replaceable. My strategy would be to move him, re-sign Walker and go after a guy like Jake Bean to fill in on the bottom pair

Toews - Makar
X (trade/signing - bigger 2-way LH guy) - Walker
Bean - Manson
JJ - Malinski

A guy like Nic Hague would be the ideal candidate.. too bad he's on our biggest rival.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Potentially quite a bit.

For arguments sake, let's say they trade Mikko for a pure futures haul. No current roster players. Say they get both Philly 2025 1sts(So our own back + there's) + Oliver Bonk as the return.

That would free up $9.25M in cap space essentially. With that money they could:

- Re-sign Walker to 4x$4M
- Re-Sign Drouin to 6x$3M
- Re-Sign Trenin to 4x$2M
- Re-Sign Duhaime to 2x$1M

And have a roster for next year of:

Drouin - Mack - Landy
Lehky - Mittelstadt - Nuke
Wood - Colton - LOC
Duhaime - Trenin - Kovalenko

Toews - Makar
Girard - Manson
Walker - Malinski

George
Annunen

Assuming Mittelstadt signs for $6.5M and Annunen at $1M, that group would be at $86.175M. Which means enough to maybe squeeze two more league minimum guys for 13th forward and 8th Dman.

Yes, losing Rantanen would certainly hurt the Top 6. But you're also gaining Landy back. And otherwise the entire roster stays in tact. And on top of that you'd have:

2024 1st(Whoever we take)
2025 1st
2025 1st(PHI)
Oliver Bonk
Cal Ritchie
Mikhail Gulyayev

All at our disposal to upgrade the roster at next years deadline. We could easily grab next years Jake Guentzel as a rental and only need to give up 1/6 of those pieces.
Ya, if Landeskog does come back, you absolutely have to consider trading Rantanen. It's a good thing we are going for it this season because a lot more hard decisions are on the way.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think if you move Manson you look at Colin Miller as a replacement. Although the net of that won't save you much money and it might be a pretty significant downgrade.

Ideally we could re-sign Walker to a longer term deal in the 3.5M range but I don't think he'll bit on that.

With Bo gone, it will be really interesting how we address our D with the cap situation. Mikko should be moved but he won't. We can't have a Girard - Malinski pairing, and we can't realistically ship out both Girard and Manson and expect to have a legitimate 2nd pair for much under 9.5M

IMO the 2024 1st should be packaged with a prospect (i.e. Behrnes) and used as currency in a trade to get an RFA Dman or a guy at a reasonable cap-hit that could fill in on the 2nd pair. Who that is? I'm not sure at them moment..

But honestly I'd probably rather move Girard. I love the guy, but with Gulayayev and Behrens and Malinksi to an extent, I think he's more replaceable. My strategy would be to move him, re-sign Walker and go after a guy like Jake Bean to fill in on the bottom pair

Toews - Makar
X (trade/signing - bigger 2-way LH guy) - Walker
Bean - Manson
JJ - Malinski

A guy like Nic Hague would be the ideal candidate.. too bad he's on our biggest rival.

It's always been the painful part.. We could use another Toews trade without even the ultimate upside.

It's too early for me to say which I'd keep between Walker, and Girard. I'm giving Girard a clean slate for the playoffs.

Manson has to move though..

I think if Walker and Girard are equal you lock in your #4RHD, and go try to find a younger left handed Manson.

It also adds to the asset pool.

Before someone says, but Byram! His upside is the only reason he got a established 2C in return.

I've spent way more time pining after centers than a #4 or #3D though. So I don't know a name to throw out either.

GeoRox89

Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
It's always been the painful part.. We could use another Toews trade without even the ultimate upside.

It's too early for me to say which I'd keep between Walker, and Girard. I'm giving Girard a clean slate for the playoffs.

Manson has to move though..

I think if Walker and Girard are equal you lock in your #4RHD, and go try to find a younger left handed Manson.

It also adds to the asset pool.

Before someone says, but Byram! His upside is the only reason he got a established 2C in return.

I've spent way more time pining after centers than a #4 or #3D though. So I don't know a name to throw out either.
Younger left handed Manson? Jacob Middleton. He has one year left on his cheap deal too. Minny might be loathe to let him go unless he doesn’t want to re-sign though

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm trading Ross Colton waaaay before I trade Arturi Lehkonen, if it comes to that.
It could happen.

If Landy is on the payroll and Mitts is in the 6M range next year we're losing Drouin and two of Manson Walker or Colton.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Younger left handed Manson? Jacob Middleton. He has one year left on his cheap deal too. Minny might be loathe to let him go unless he doesn’t want to re-sign though

Well, if you want to keep players for reasonable contracts you have to win. 😁

I'll have to keep an eye on him, but they obviously as much as the players and fans hate each other are willing to make deals.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

Sports is brutal business. You can't let players play for you, who have no business playing for you.

Being ice cold in this sense makes sense. Moneyball stuff(movie). Tell the players straight, it's the best.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think next season there is a very real possibility we see all of Ritchie, Kovalenko, Foudy, Malinski, Behrens, and Annunen in the NHL lineup collectively making less than 6M. Add to that LOC's bargain contract.

Still have to make trades to fit everyone though if Landy returns.

Starting to feel uneasy yet?

Mittelstadt has played 1 game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad