2024-25 NTDP U17 Team Selection

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
Still do... might change, hasn't yet

Seems you're mad because the USA is catching up to about a 100 year infrastructure head start along with a better climate for it, and the USA's like 5th most popular sport is becoming pretty close to Canada's most popular sport.

lol, if you say so, champ

nope, although it's close

Hockey's an expensive sport, ok?

lol ok, have fun with that

Every player that plays for USA in IIHF competition is an American citizen, nobody is "poached"

Just sad really that rabid anti-American attitudes drive you and others to this extent.
It seems we’re aligned on pretty much everything. You bought your way in - I just think that should be more widely acknowledged, and not something to be celebrated.

Also, anti-American as a general statement is wildly inaccurate. I have cumulatively spent years in your country, have many connections through friends and families, and consider it our (extremely loud and annoying and unfortunately often outright dumb, as of late) brother country. If American territory was attacked, I would still consider picking up a rifle - and if I was younger and less committed to my family and career, there would be no hesitation.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
No Dominic Pajkic, Ethan Garden, Jacob Monks, Trevor Theuer from Michigan. Interested to see where they'll be next year, whether it be USHL, OHL, prep school, or back to minor hockey.

Really really surprised not to see Garden and Monks at least get an invite as they are both top talents. Makes me believe they are both OHL bound

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Really really surprised not to see Garden and Monks at least get an invite as they are both top talents. Makes me believe they are both OHL bound
PuckPreps (I do have doubts about the site because their "x number Star" rankings overrate players a lot) ranked Garden as their number 3 2008 born US player, so quite interesting that he's not going to be at NTDP Camp. So either Garden is definitely OHL bound, was somehow massively overrated, or there's other things behind the scenes that we're not privy to.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
Born in the United States, moved to Canada when he was 12 to follow his father's career, moved back to the United States when he was 16 to play with the USNDTP.

Now we're claiming Jake Sanderson isn't a real American, what are we even doing here?
Seriously. The US has a better claim to Celebrini than Canada has to Sanderson.

• Haha

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
PuckPreps (I do have doubts about the site because their "x number Star" rankings overrate players a lot) ranked Garden as their number 3 2008 born US player, so quite interesting that he's not going to be at NTDP Camp. So either Garden is definitely OHL bound, was somehow massively overrated, or there's other things behind the scenes that we're not privy to.
they have a tendency to rate a player very high and then not adjust them down when they don't progress. Neutralzone does the same thing. They'll place a rating on some kids at the U14 level and never change it up or down who've either developed a ton or not at all, it can be maddening

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Issue with puckpreps is you need to pay a subscription just to have your kid rated unless they are a consensus top player that is a no brainer to list. Plenty of kids in top 10 that dont belong there and plenty of kids not listed that are easy top 20 players.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
they have a tendency to rate a player very high and then not adjust them down when they don't progress. Neutralzone does the same thing. They'll place a rating on some kids at the U14 level and never change it up or down who've either developed a ton or not at all, it can be maddening
Also very true. That is why so many parents go crazy to have their kid listed at 14u. The desperation and hype chasing by parents is over the top. Puckpreps found a nice to way to pull money from naive parents.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Issue with puckpreps is you need to pay a subscription just to have your kid rated unless they are a consensus top player that is a no brainer to list. Plenty of kids in top 10 that dont belong there and plenty of kids not listed that are easy top 20 players.

Also very true. That is why so many parents go crazy to have their kid listed at 14u. The desperation and hype chasing by parents is over the top. Puckpreps found a nice to way to pull money from naive parents.
Sounds like your kid wasn't ranked

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Sounds like your kid wasn't ranked

"Sounds like you work for puckpreps." We can continue this back and forth all day if you want to continue it, but nothing I said is untrue.

Puckpreps is a just another new piece of the money making insanity machine that is destroying youth hockey. The sport has become an endless grind and it really is just a playground for the wealthy or connected. A few talents that do not fit the above mold make it through the cracks but there is a huge problem in youth hockey and anyone who is involved knows the reality. Academies, spring and summer programs, advisors and agents who lie and are connected to academies, relentless push for kids to train year round or fear of getting left behind.

Wealthy parents will pay anything to push their kids ahead but once they realize their kids won't make the national team it starts to slow down. I have an axe to grind against the liars and money grubbers because they are hurting families and the sport in general.

Last edited:

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
"Sounds like you work for puckpreps." We can continue this back and forth all day if you want to continue it, but nothing I said is untrue.

Puckpreps is a just another new piece of the money making insanity machine that is destroying youth hockey. The sport has become an endless grind and it really is just a playground for the wealthy or connected. A few talents that do not fit the above mold make it through the cracks but there is a huge problem in youth hockey and anyone who is involved knows the reality. Academies, spring and summer programs, advisors and agents who lie and are connected to academies, relentless push for kids to train year round or fear of getting left behind.

Wealthy parents will pay anything to push their kids ahead but once they realize their kids won't make the national team it starts to slow down. I have an axe to grind against the liars and money grubbers because they are hurting families and the sport in general.
You act like this is a new thing. 20 years ago it was thescoutingnews.com . Same exact concept. At the end of the day the best players make it. In the meantime there is nothing wrong with speculation

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

thats a bit much, i think your confusing things a bit. that site in particular (at least for ontario) does not really scout, they only use video and its a kid who does it, so its not really someone who knows that much. as an example, the projected top pick in the ohl draft didnt make the sites top 20 list in october. so is that favoritism or bias, not really, its just a kid learning on the job, i hope that he sees his failures and improves, but thats on him.

does it stop the kid from going 1st or 2nd? no, ohl scouts who are out at the rinks dont care what that site says, they care about what they think. its entertainment, pure and simple, there are very, very good young scouts at some of these sites that eventually graduate to chl, ushl teams, but at the end of the day its not like its season vet scouts, its kids trying to learn on the job, some do well, some not so much.

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
The U17s play their last regular season game on Saturday, I wouldn't be surprised to see the roster announced the following Monday.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
For reference, last year was the Tuesday after nationals and they previous year was the Saturday after nationals

Reactions: clevelandcane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad