2024-25 NTDP U17 Team Selection

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Any word on where the cuts are going? Any CHL bound?
I’m sure there will be a mixed bag of USHL tenders, CHL guys, USHL draft and BCHL or stay where they are like there always is. There were I think 4 or 5 USHL tenders out of last years cuts

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The other defensemen must be very weak for all of them to make it because I didn’t think these defensemen were good at the YOG.

I hope some of the newer players can add to this team from the YOG because I did not think that team had many future first round picks.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Does anyone know Aurelio Garcia's heritage? Is he Cuban, Puerto Rican, Mexican... ?

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
0 from New York, 1 from Massachusetts, 1 from Michigan is nuts.

Illinois and California are booming talent pools, no NCAA programs there.
Kids in Illinois (call it the Blackhawks boom, youth hockey definitely took a step forward in the Kane/Toews years) typically target Big Ten schools (if they can get an offer from one). Mission have become a big USNDTP feeder.

Corso

Aug 13, 2018
The other defensemen must be very weak for all of them to make it because I didn’t think these defensemen were good at the YOG.

I hope some of the newer players can add to this team from the YOG because I did not think that team had many future first round picks.

Is it just me or does it seem that the talent level has been declining the past few years. This is looks like a very non descript team and there are, with the exception of Hurlbert and Berchild, few players that really excite you.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Kids in Illinois (call it the Blackhawks boom, youth hockey definitely took a step forward in the Kane/Toews years) typically target Big Ten schools (if they can get an offer from one). Mission have become a big USNDTP feeder.
Yep. I'm originally from Northwest Indiana, so very aware of everything that has gone on with hockey in Illinois. Wisconsin, Notre Dame, and Michigan have really tapped into the Illinois pipeline, but others like Ohio State, Western Michigan, and some of the Hockey East schools are recruiting more from Illinois.

MattFromFranklin

Fire Sweeney and Neely
Jun 19, 2012
Franklin, MA
I must have watched about a dozen games that Casey Mutryn played this year. He's a very good player and I'm not surprised that he made the team considering the numbers he put up as a Sophomore in the ISL. He was the most talented player on a Sebs team that has several players who will be playing D1 hockey or in Canada next year.

clevelandcane

Dec 30, 2011
Ohio
I'm particularly happy to see Glance make the team. I'm always glad to see kids make the team who I've seen play live. These are 15 year olds so hard to predict their futures.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Is it just me or does it seem that the talent level has been declining the past few years. This is looks like a very non descript team and there are, with the exception of Hurlbert and Berchild, few players that really excite you.
The last few years aren’t vintage years. Impossible to know if it’s a decline or a normal random variance thing. I think the current U17’s aren’t at all a bad group, but they lack stars. The one before that, current U18, is probably weaker but has 2-3 stars. There was a three year gap between the 2001’s and 2004’s, which are vintage years. Who’s to say the 2009’s won’t be that and the gap will be five years? That year has a lot of discussion so far, although they haven’t reached junior so I don’t think we know yet what they are.

But in general, I’m not expecting that much from these guys after YOG. Those two you named and Schairer are the only three from the YOG that looked like potential first round picks. They are young though, so they have two or three years to prove what they are.

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
The last few years aren’t vintage years. Impossible to know if it’s a decline or a normal random variance thing. I think the current U17’s aren’t at all a bad group, but they lack stars. The one before that, current U18, is probably weaker but has 2-3 stars. There was a three year gap between the 2001’s and 2004’s, which are vintage years. Who’s to say the 2009’s won’t be that and the gap will be five years? That year has a lot of discussion so far, although they haven’t reached junior so I don’t think we know yet what they are.

But in general, I’m not expecting that much from these guys after YOG. Those two you named and Schairer are the only three from the YOG that looked like potential first round picks. They are young though, so they have two or three years to prove what they are.
Comparing what I saw last year at the U14 level vs this year at the U14 level, next year's group could be really good, I thought I saw more speed, some more raw skill and a higher level of play out east. That said, it's a big development year. There are guys who I thought would make a big jump this year who didn't and a guy like Jamie Glance who I thought was good last year but wouldn't have even pegged him at being at NTDP camp, developing a ton this year. So it's always a crap shoot

Reactions: clevelandcane

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
It's hard to judge the rosters this early, too. The list of guys that got a ton of hype before the NTDP season started and did squat with the NTDP is long, whereas there is similarly a long list of guys where there was limited to no excitement about them being named and yet they turned into stars with the NTDP and high picks (i.e., Cooley).

Just look at the '05 birth year. People weren't going crazy about that roster, even during the U17 season, but it churned out 2 top 10 picks, another 1st rounder, some high quality 2nd rounders, etc.

Happens a lot. Everyone was head over heels for the '00 roster while the '99 roster got little fanfare and yet produced better players.

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Always gonna be variance. 01 and 04 were stacked. 05 had lots of good talent but less good depth. Other years were pretty weak. Too early to say but 09 could shake out to be a special group.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA

Lot of NHL guys coaching in the 2009 birth year. I have spoken with all of them and 09 is definitely considered a weak birth year. Nobody looks like a high first round pick outside of Dupont right now. We'll see how the NTDP develops who they choose next year.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Lot of NHL guys coaching in the 2009 birth year. I have spoken with all of them and 09 is definitely considered a weak birth year. Nobody looks like a high first round pick outside of Dupont right now. We'll see how the NTDP develops who they choose next year.
You haven’t talked to any of them lol. 09 is certainly a very strong birth year.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

Not that I believe you have talked to "all 09 [coaches]" which is a wild claim, but a birth year being perceived as weak or not has little relevance to projecting potential high first round picks that far in advance. Every birth year will have high first round picks, regardless of quality, so that claim doesn't justify the position it's trying to support.

Last edited:

sigx15

Jan 31, 2010
Not that I believe you have talked to "all 09 [coaches]" which is a wild claim, a birth year being perceived as weak or not has little relevance to projecting potential high first round picks that far in advance. Every birth year will have high first round picks, regardless of quality, so that claim doesn't justify the position it's trying to support.
"hey Freddie Meyer, what do you think of your kid?"
"He sucks, not happening, everyone he plays with and against sucks too"

Reactions: William H Bonney

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Not that I believe you have talked to "all 09 [coaches]" which is a wild claim, but a birth year being perceived as weak or not has little relevance to projecting potential high first round picks that far in advance. Every birth year will have high first round picks, regardless of quality, so that claim doesn't justify the position it's trying to support.
There are 3 coaches who played in the NHL who are in Massachusetts for tournamants pretty often that have sons at the 09 level. Yes I have talked to them. Lot of prep coaches attend district camps so we are able to get additional insight as well.

Not sure I agree with you here because a large majority of the recent Americans who were drafted high in the first round were considered to have that potential by the age of 14.

"hey Freddie Meyer, what do you think of your kid?"
"He sucks, not happening, everyone he plays with and against sucks too"
Convo went nothing like that but whatever makes you sleep better at night.

Lot of good players. But it is not a year with any outliers or kids expected to make a huge splash. Still early though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad