2024-25 NTDP U17 Team Selection

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What sticks out to me is no players from New York. Probably a bad year for New York, but no players at the evaluation camp is hard to believe.

Three guys playing in Canada on the roster. Beuker is the most hyped of them.

All the main guys from the YOG on this team except for Bumgarner, and the potential reasons for that are discussed in his thread. He’s tendered with Fargo, so he wasn’t going to be on this roster.

Players with bloodlines in the sport that I recognize:

Mutryn (brother is a 2025 eligible)
Nelson (brother drafted 2nd round in 2023)
Plante (one brother drafted 2022, other a likely mid rounder this year)
Stuart (father a former NHL’er and brother a 2025 eligible at NTDP)
Trottier (grandson of the NHL legend)
Barnett (brother is a 2025 eligible at the NTDP)

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Interesting no Kosick from a quick scan. Hilarious they have to lie about Beukers hometown being Portland when he's lived in Humboldt his entire life
If Kosick hasn’t signed in the WHL and isn’t on the NTDP evaluation camp roster it probably means he’s going to tender for a team like Chicago in the USHL and then play NCAA.

This is good news for Canada as if he went NTDP route that would pretty much be the end of him potentially playing for Canada.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
If Kosick hasn’t signed in the WHL and isn’t on the NTDP evaluation camp roster it probably means he’s going to tender for a team like Chicago in the USHL and then play NCAA.

This is good news for Canada as if he went NTDP route that would pretty much be the end of him potentially playing for Canada.
Also chance he just wants to stay close to home and play in the BCHL, Victoria Grizzlies most likely if he does

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Is Kosick even a dual (I know he was born in Germany but nothing I have found indicates he is eligible to play for the US)?
His elite has him as a dual Canada/US which I'm assuming is because his mom is American from when his dad was playing down in the US. Same way Beuker is "American" as his mom is from Portland and his dad played hockey down there. I don't expect Beuker to be at this though as his Midget AAA team is in round 2 of the playoffs and highly unlikely they lose out

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
His elite has him as a dual Canada/US which I'm assuming is because his mom is American from when his dad was playing down in the US. Same way Beuker is "American" as his mom is from Portland and his dad played hockey down there. I don't expect Beuker to be at this though as his Midget AAA team is in round 2 of the playoffs and highly unlikely they lose out
Eliteprospects is a great site but they are not a reliable source when it comes to nationality some of the time.
Kosick to my knowledge has never played in any US development camps, Beuker has.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Beuker straight up isn’t American either. The whole thing is a joke. Grow your own players.
It's getting to be a bit much. This issue certainly doesn't impact my life whatsoever, but as a Canadian hockey fan, it is getting tiresome. Historically, we had (and will continue to have) some of our high end hockey players settle and have children in the USA (and thus represent the USA internationally), and we also had some kids that were born in Canada but moved abroad with their parents for work/etc. and played hockey in the USA (who now represent the USA internationally); now we have to deal with kids that are born, live their whole life in, and play their whole hockey career in Canada only to jump ship to the NTDP and represent the USA internationally.

It was already going to be hard to compete against a nation with 335 million people vs 40 million moving forward given the growing popularity of hockey in the USA; now we have to worry about whether some of our better homegrown players will choose to represent the USA at 16 too. People are going to reply: "What about Jakob Chychrun and Tyler Myers?" but this is almost exclusively a one way street these days.

Jaykay

Jul 5, 2012
Minneapolis, MN
Celski is an interesting inclusion. I almost included him in my guess but I don't think he's quite good enough and watching the state tournament didn't change my opinion.

His teammate Tanner Olsen is a better looking player in my opinion, he's the same grade and about the same size but an '07.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's getting to be a bit much. This issue certainly doesn't impact my life whatsoever, but as a Canadian hockey fan, it is getting tiresome. Historically, we had (and will continue to have) some of our high end hockey players settle and have children in the USA (and thus represent the USA internationally), and we also had some kids that were born in Canada but moved abroad with their parents for work/etc. and played hockey in the USA (who now represent the USA internationally); now we have to deal with kids that are born, live their whole life in, and play their whole hockey career in Canada only to jump ship to the NTDP and represent the USA internationally.

It was already going to be hard to compete against a nation with 335 million people vs 40 million moving forward given the growing popularity of hockey in the USA; now we have to worry about whether some of our better homegrown players will choose to represent the USA at 16 too. People are going to reply: "What about Jakob Chychrun and Tyler Myers?" but this is almost exclusively a one way street these days.
I think this is a complicated topic. The USA definitely benefits the most from IIHF rules because the most competitive pro hockey teams in the world are in the USA, and the sons of ex-NHL’ers probably have the highest chance to turn into good players from the pool of males who play hockey as kids.

But let’s remember that Canada probably benefits the second most. Should Radek Bonk’s son play for Canada? Should the children of the Sedin’s only be able to play for Canada?

This is why I’m in favor of opening up the eligibility rules. I think it’s stupid when people talk about where a player did their minor hockey. It probably doesn’t matter. It matters a lot more if you have the natural ability and are putting in the hard hours at like 9 years old to improve when your friends are playing video games. I don’t think some random program in Arizona should get credit for Matthews and I don’t think an established program that a lot of good players come through like the Toronto Marlboros should get credit for McDavid.

Players should be able to play for the country of their mother, their father, or any country they have citizenship. Let the players decide which country of those they can play for that they want to play for. I don’t see why some kid should be forced to represent a country they have less allegiance to merely because they lived in that country for their parent’s work. Giving more choice to the players will also make it more meritocratic. If the NTDP is such a draw then other countries should be counteracting that and becoming a draw. Obviously you need some rules, but I think these problems people bring up are better solved by giving players a choice.

Reactions: MichaelFarrell

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
No Dominic Pajkic, Ethan Garden, Jacob Monks, Trevor Theuer from Michigan. Interested to see where they'll be next year, whether it be USHL, OHL, prep school, or back to minor hockey.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
I think this is a complicated topic. The USA definitely benefits the most from IIHF rules because the most competitive pro hockey teams in the world are in the USA, and the sons of ex-NHL’ers probably have the highest chance to turn into good players from the pool of males who play hockey as kids.

But let’s remember that Canada probably benefits the second most. Should Radek Bonk’s son play for Canada? Should the children of the Sedin’s only be able to play for Canada?

This is why I’m in favor of opening up the eligibility rules. I think it’s stupid when people talk about where a player did their minor hockey. It probably doesn’t matter. It matters a lot more if you have the natural ability and are putting in the hard hours at like 9 years old to improve when your friends are playing video games. I don’t think some random program in Arizona should get credit for Matthews and I don’t think an established program that a lot of good players come through like the Toronto Marlboros should get credit for McDavid.

Players should be able to play for the country of their mother, their father, or any country they have citizenship. Let the players decide which country of those they can play for that they want to play for. I don’t see why some kid should be forced to represent a country they have less allegiance to merely because they lived in that country for their parent’s work. Giving more choice to the players will also make it more meritocratic. If the NTDP is such a draw then other countries should be counteracting that and becoming a draw. Obviously you need some rules, but I think these problems people bring up are better solved by giving players a choice.
Nobody here is saying Beuker, or any other play like him, shouldn't be allowed to represent the USA. I am saying that it is unfortunate for Canadian hockey that players who were not born in the USA, have not lived in the USA or have not played in the USA can suddenly choose to play for the USA internationally after benefitting from the Canadian development system and funding until they are 16. You just don't see very many other nations, if any, benefitting in this way (Bonk was born in Canada and played a lot of hockey here). I am quite certain that American posters would not be thrilled if JP Hurlbert's mom was Canadian, and he decided this year he was going to switch to the new Canadian NTDP, despite being born, residing in, and playing in Texas up until that point, and this continued to happen year after year with increasing frequency.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
10 January
8 February
8 March

= 26 first quarter of the year

3 April
1 May
4 June

= 8 second quarter of the year
= 34 first half of the year

2 July
1 August
5 September

= 8 third quarter of the year
= 42 first three quarters of the year

1 October
3 November
1 December

= 5 fourth quarter of the year
= 13 second half of the year

...if you want to have a kid go far in hockey, make sure they are born early in the calendar year, folks!

• Haha
Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Nobody here is saying Beuker, or any other play like him, shouldn't be allowed to represent the USA. I am saying that it is unfortunate for Canadian hockey that players who were not born in the USA, have not lived in the USA or have not played in the USA can suddenly choose to play for the USA internationally after benefitting from the Canadian development system and funding until they are 16. You just don't see very many other nations, if any, benefitting in this way (Bonk was born in Canada and played a lot of hockey here). I am quite certain that American posters would not be thrilled if JP Hurlbert's mom was Canadian, and he decided this year he was going to switch to the new Canadian NTDP, despite being born, residing in, and playing in Texas up until that point, and this continued to happen year after year with increasing frequency.
Are they really benefiting from the Canadian development system and funding? Is Hockey Canada footing some bill that has helped him become what he is?

And while he’s probably benefited from coaching and all that in Canada, I’m not really sure he wouldn’t have been as good had he grown up in the USA. Just as I’m sure if you dropped most kids from like Minnesota into Manitoba they’d probably be any better or worse than they are now.

I think each player should play for the country they feel the most allegiance to within reason (country of mother, father, or citizenship). I want that to be my country, but if Hurlbert had a Canadian mother and wanted to play for the London Knights, I wouldn’t be upset.

And I completely recognize the USA benefits the most, which is why I would like to see it all equalized so the playing field is more level. I get Canada gets disadvantages sometimes, but they can handle it. I feel more for countries like Czechia or Slovakia who can’t handle it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad