Speculation: 2023 UFA| Should we target someone?

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
great point! We could add 1-3 vets who could be worth trading at the deadline but they contribute to development while they're here. I'd love to add Perry again haha. I think adding to the blueline will be too expensive from the FA pool. Stick to forwards IMO
This is why Bergevin had no biz sense not utilizing the $9m capspace several years ago.. he could easily have signed a mercenary to a 1 yr 9m then flip at TDL for a 1st and prospect.

Mtl has money, use it wisely and it will flourish.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
We have too many defenceman but I really like RD Mayfield.
I could see him being a target. Habs don't have enough RHD
What about Patrick Kane? 1 year at 6M. He'll be out for good chunk of the year. Won't count against the cap until he's back. We help him get healthy and ease him in when he's ready. Move him to a contender at the Trade Deadline

I will also sign Patrick Kane for 5-6m. Trade him to a good team for a second round pick.
He's hurt until December I think and I imagine he goes to a competing team at a discount than to a shit team.
Interested in Tyler Bertuzzi

Bertuzzi, maybe ?
He's not vaccinated and unless it's changed he'll have a hard time entering the states, so he's unlikely to sign in Canada, but that might be changing, or has changed.

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
Shit team like us, are gonna be the only team offering him a 5m contract. Good team won't have the space in the cap to offer him a good contract with his injury.

Sign Patrick Kane at 5m and trade him with a 50% for a second round pick.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Shit team like us, are gonna be the only team offering him a 5m contract. Good team won't have the space in the cap to offer him a good contract with his injury.

Sign Patrick Kane at 5m and trade him with a 50% for a second round pick.

I would do this, but I think he'll want to start the season with a contender, just like Monahan.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Given that it's a transition year, a one-year show-me deal for Monahan makes sense.

With reasonable health, the Habs should be a bubble team. Monahan could mean finishing 8th rather than 10th or whatever, but more importantly he helps balance the lines, it gives Slafkovsky/Heinemen/Farrell etc a better center to play with, and stabilizes things if one of Suzuki or Dach goes down to injury.

Beginning next summer, HuGo should try and win.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Given that it's a transition year, a one-year show-me deal for Monahan makes sense.

With reasonable health, the Habs should be a bubble team. Monahan could mean finishing 8th rather than 10th or whatever, but more importantly he helps balance the lines, it gives Slafkovsky/Heinemen/Farrell etc a better center to play with, and stabilizes things if one of Suzuki or Dach goes down to injury.

Beginning next summer, HuGo should try and win.

It is hard to expect Monahan to be healthy, but even if he isn't, he seemed like a great leader and locker room guy which is helpful to have around our young guys.

Really is no downside to signing him to a cheap deal.

Reactions: DAChampion

rahad

Feb 3, 2016
montreal
I would do this, but I think he'll want to start the season with a contender, just like Monahan.

He want to join a elite team. But elite team don't have the cap space for a player on the decline. At 2.5m, I can see a good team taking a chance with him in the trade deadline. We can also use our free cap space for taking a bad contract for one year(kinda liek Monahan).

We are 2 years aways from a playoff.

Reactions: 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He want to join a elite team. But elite team don't have the cap space for a player on the decline. At 2.5m, I can see a good team taking a chance with him in the trade deadline. We can also use our free cap space for taking a bad contract for one year(kinda liek Monahan).

We are 2 years aways from a playoff.

I agree with all of this. I just think Kane would take 2.5M less to play with a contender at this point in his career, including how much money he's already made...

Who are your targets for bad contracts? Tyler Myers could be one.

Last edited:
Reactions: rahad

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
How about Barbashev? He would add toughness but I expect his playoff performance will drive his price way up.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
How about Barbashev? He would add toughness but I expect his playoff performance will drive his price way up.
It will. With potentially his 2nd cup, he might just look for the biggest contract he could get.

Given the habs are, at best 3-4 years away from being taking as serious, he's likely lost a step and isn't worth that money.

Depending on the AAV I'd look at Wood as a depth player with size, physicality and speed. He's a bit dumb at times, but no bottom 6 player is going to be perfect.

Reactions: ReHabs

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Too late.
… Vegas want to keep him long-term anyway, so if they can’t get it done, it’s because price just went way up.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Too late.
… Vegas want to keep him long-term anyway, so if they can’t get it done, it’s because price just went way up.
I expect so but if he hasn't signed by July 1 (or even before that) teams need to make him offers and drive the price up for Vegas to keep him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad