Speculation: 2023 UFA| Should we target someone?

MON4NHLTOR4MLB

Oct 3, 2019
There’s really not much out there that makes sense this year given where we’re at and what’s available. Barring a trade, I’d basically keep around the same for one more year, see what you get at the deadline and when that cap balloons next year with a much better free agent group and another good pick, that’s when we spend and compete.

Jul 6, 2016
Sign some big, gritty players to play in Laval and protect our youngsters.

Beer and Chips

Feb 5, 2018
It seems that an 'accelerated rebuild' now means we should trade picks and prospects to fill all of our needs. I would prefer to do some house cleaning before thinking about committing to another large contract.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I'm down with Barbashev only if Dvorak can be moved
Other targets would be Orlov, Bertuzzi and Hill if we could move Allen out of town

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
There’s really not much out there that makes sense this year given where we’re at and what’s available. Barring a trade, I’d basically keep around the same for one more year, see what you get at the deadline and when that cap balloons next year with a much better free agent group and another good pick, that’s when we spend and compete.

True, but it all depends on what is actually available to us come July 1st.

If guys like, say, O'Reilly or Killorn are agreeable to a short-term deal with us for reasonable money, then I think you have to exert that option no matter what.

Players like O'Reilly and Killorn, although they wouldn't fit into our competing window per se (2025+), would help our young players grow more favorably by guiding them and instilling them with leadership and good habits to emulate.

Simply put, pros of that caliber would help our coaches to foster a stronger, better team mentality, the importance of which can't be overstated as far as developing a winning franchise goes.

But barring A+ veteran-presence players like those I already mentioned, or really good top-6 F/top-4 D players like Barbashev, Bertuzzi or Orlov if they make sense money and term-wise (which I don't think they would for us), I share your view on UFAs.

In that very plausible scenario where we fail to attract the top veterans or some premium UFAs for reasonable deals, we should either steer clear of the UFA class entirely, or only target some of the smaller fishes that won't require us to break the bank to get them.

That, and also perhaps look and see if we can't attract some more good players for Laval if needed depending on which players we'd like to see return and the wiggle room we'd have contracts-wise.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
I would on a 1 yr $2m contract, so we can flip him for assets at the TDL
Nobody wanted him this season, so I doubt anyone would next TDL. I would consider signing him to put on waivers, and play him as a veteran in Laval if he clears. 1M cap hit, and the 2M would prevent him being claimed by another team. If he rediscovers his game there, he can always be called up as an injury replacement.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Nobody wanted him this season, so I doubt anyone would next TDL. I would consider signing him to put on waivers, and play him as a veteran in Laval if he clears. 1M cap hit, and the 2M would prevent him being claimed by another team. If he rediscovers his game there, he can always be called up as an injury replacement.
My thinking behind this is at $2M by the time the TDL arrives, his "salary" will be negligible (whereas this year it would be a cap issue (hence no takers).. He's a decent player, I would think 3rd line set up guy, and "if" he performs such a player could fetch a 1st at the DL. If he doesn't perform then put him in Laval, where he might probably really enjoy himself again.
I actually feel sorry for him - way too much stress on his shoulders... unfair situation. the small contract will take all eyes off him.

Mister Hab

Nov 21, 2018
Severson is atrocious and we don't need anymore LD

Didn't know he was that bad!! Thanks! (well...forget it, then! and he'll be expensive!). He was always getting lots of ice-time with the Devils, so I assumed he was good/solid!

I'm hoping Habs give 40 games+ to LEFTIE Jay Struble this season.

Ryan Graves is very tall/big (6'5) and gritty (defensive dman)..potential good partner for Hutson, no? (if one of Hutson or Graves can play on the RIGHT side?!).

LEFT SIDE: Guhle, Matheson, Edmundson (might be traded at NHL Draft or sometime this summer?), Struble (tough/gritty), Harris, etc.

Habs might be busier toward the 2024 UFA season and/or the 2025 UFA season, imo. No?

Last edited:

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Didn't know he was that bad!! Thanks! (well...forget, then! and he'll be expensive!).

I'm hoping Habs give 40 games+ to LEFTIE Jay Struble this season.

Ryan Graves is very tall/big (6'5) and gritty (defensive dman)..potential good partner for Hutson, no? (if one of Hutson or Graves can play on the RIGHT side?!).

LEFT SIDE: Guhle, Matheson, Edmundson (might be traded at NHL Draft or sometime this summer?), Struble, Harris, etc.

Graves is fine but I don't know if he's worth paying the contract for when we have Kovacevic, Savard is here and then you want to give minutes to Barron.

If you move on from Wideman and Graves wants to be a 7, sure, but I think he'll have a better opportunity somewhere else.

Frankly we won't be very active on UFA because we have more contracts and space to shed, plus want to keep enough spots that could be won by progressing youngsters.

The best option for the Habs remain short term veterans who can be flipped for draft currency at the deadline and most importantly, taking another bad contract and being paid in picks/prospects to do so. This is the last year before a substantial cap increase, so we have to flex our financial muscles and cap space appropriately while it is lucrative to do so.

Mister Hab

Nov 21, 2018
Graves is fine but I don't know if he's worth paying the contract for when we have Kovacevic, Savard is here and then you want to give minutes to Barron.

If you move on from Wideman and Graves wants to be a 7, sure, but I think he'll have a better opportunity somewhere else.

Frankly we won't be very active on UFA because we have more contracts and space to shed, plus want to keep enough spots that could be won by progressing youngsters.

The best option for the Habs remain short term veterans who can be flipped for draft currency at the deadline and most importantly, taking another bad contract and being paid in picks/prospects to do so. This is the last year before a substantial cap increase, so we have to flex our financial muscles and cap space appropriately while it is lucrative to do so.

That's also what I'm thinking...our Habs won't be so active on 2023 UFAs, but maybe more for 2024 UFAs or 2025 UFAs.

Wideman: I almost forgot about Wideman...he's under contract for one more year! Seems like he may only play (here and there, not often) if there are many injuries to our d-core, imo. Traded? I'm hoping! What team would take him? ($762 500 for one more year..one way, I think... ; wish it was two-way!).

LEFTIE dman: imo, Ryan Graves will only go to a team if they use him as a #4-5 dman, imo (not as a #7, imo). He might be asking for $3mil - $4mil/year for 4-5 yrs (guessing) and not to be a #7dman. I could be wrong! (but I doubt he would come to Mtl to be a #7 dman...Wideman's there for that! #7-8 dman!).

I'm guessing we have to wait more until the 2024 or 2025 UFA season.

P.S.: taking another bad contract (ex: Monahan) to be paid in picks/prospects...genius! (always a good idea..especially like you mentioned before the CAP increases in near future). Cheers! Go Habs Go!! (I can't wait for the NHL June 28 DRAFT!! in less than three weeks!! last Draft..Slaf/Dach/Hutson/Beck/Mesar and more...not bad for two days' work!!).

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad