Speculation: 2023 UFA| Should we target someone?

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Slim pickings on D as usual and the semi decent ones will get stupid money.

Dumba was good but he fell off, injuries ect.

I agree keeping MoneyHands around is the best move. He's probably looking for a contender though

Reactions: themilosh

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It's likely that Perry or Kane would choose to go to a top-10 team and only consider a bottom feeder if there is no other option and want to continue playing. I would rather see us stay the course and give auditions to some AHL guys and use the upcoming season as another development year.

Reactions: CHwest and Habs13

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
They only one I'd give a call to. To have a role model for the boys in the locker room, it'd be worth it. 2-3 years. I reckon he will get more than that on the market but I'd shoot my shot.
Killorn no brainer. It's a free 27 goals. At 34 he's not getting long term deal. If Habs fall out of contention next season can flip him at deadline for a first. Montreal in position to retain. He's got two rings and is playoff warrior. Every playoff team be bidding for him at deadline.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
There's no such thing as "free". The habs would be expensing precious cap space by signing a ufa.

Cap space can be a pretty good weapon itself if you have it and someone else needs it.

I'd rather the Habs stay away from old and pricey veterans, and continue to stay the course.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Too many guys as is. No need this summer (I'd make an exception for Dubois or a similar young player via trade).

Honestly look at what happened with Klingberg. Signing a vet for a year with the plan to trade him doesn't always work.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
x5qzeuchsufa1.jpg

You have no idea what you're talking about mate!

If Caufield and Dvo are close off the ice, even more reason to see: Cauield - Suzuki -Dvo.

Could do wonders for Dvo's numbers, and trade value.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
It really depends on how Hughes operates from now until FA starts. Will Hughes make any trades? Will he sell and retain on a (now healthy) Eddy? Will he move 37pt man Josh Anderson? Dvorak? Will he make any hockey move at the draft? Cole Caufield will he be signed? Monahan on a super cheap contract? What of Pierre-Luc Dubois? I don't think they'll enter the season with as weak and impotent a forward line as they did last season. I think we'll see some hockey additions. Hughes and MSL didn't seem like they want to tank for year another year.

But if they go for cap flexibility and some light tanking -- can they, for instance, sell Dvorak and sign Eller on a one year deal as a gapstop?

We are near our contract limit too, it seems.

Who would I want? Assuming we have no big surprise moves coming up, I'd offer a deal to Pacioretty actually. If we can acquire PLD, and sign Pacioretty and Monahan to injury-bonus heavy deals our forward corps will be much better albeit super brittle. The brittleness doesn't matter, we won't be seeking playoff glory next year but as long as they don't hurt we will have good scoring depth and can inflate the point totals of our players and raise their trade value for the deadline.
I say sign no body, move out Hoffman with a pick if we can and bring in some more youth, next year we should be looking at FA, or the one after that. This year doesn’t really have any body unless it’s an RFA.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON

I agree keeping MoneyHands around is the best move. He's probably looking for a contender though
he'll be dealt to a contender at the TDL. signing with MTL is the smartest move he can make. Much easier to go to a contender at the TDL, than the off season.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
he'll be dealt to a contender at the TDL. signing with MTL is the smartest move he can make. Much easier to go to a contender at the TDL, than the off season.
great point! We could add 1-3 vets who could be worth trading at the deadline but they contribute to development while they're here. I'd love to add Perry again haha. I think adding to the blueline will be too expensive from the FA pool. Stick to forwards IMO

Reactions: themilosh

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Killorn 27 goals and guy I would target. It's free 65 points. Character and leadership too. With 2 Cup rings.

Talk on Facebook Perry wants come back here. Kind of neutral on this one. Unless they can get big haul for Anderson. Perry size and grit, would fill some of his void
Recipe for a disaster, he's 33 years old, won't have the offensive armada of Tampa, to help him and he will probably want to get paid.

Reactions: Troyp

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

He's already said he would love to come back. I think he just wants to get his playing career going.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad