2023 Traverse City Tournament

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
The style of play differences between tournaments like this and the NHL are drastic. For some positions and players, the NHL is “easier” due to the systems and IQ of players/teams.

Tomasino and Mercer had similar impacts for Canada at the WJC, obviously their NHL careers are different.

Can’t tell much from one game to begin with, but especially in a tourney like this.

Good to see Cuelemans is in peak form though. -3 and 4 PIMs. :sarcasm:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Reactions: LetsGOJackets!!

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
The style of play differences between tournaments like this and the NHL are drastic. For some positions and players, the NHL is “easier” due to the systems and IQ of players/teams.

Tomasino and Mercer had similar impacts for Canada at the WJC, obviously their NHL careers are different.

Can’t tell much from one game to begin with, but especially in a tourney like this.

Good to see Cuelemans is in peak form though. -3 and 4 PIMs. :sarcasm:
Tomisino has looked good in his time though, sometimes oppurtunity matters so thats a weird choice for your point.

Atleast Voronkov isnt hurt yet :sarcasm:

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Maybe or just as likely he doesnt look as good on a bad team
Just as likely?

I think a decent percent of the time players actually look better on bad teams. Bjorkstrand, Kuraly come to mind. Mercer would be getting 19+ mins TOI here IMO.

So do you disagree with my point… ?

Dubois vs White a better example for you?

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Just as likely?

I think a decent percent of the time players actually look better on bad teams. Bjorkstrand, Kuraly come to mind. Mercer would be getting 19+ mins TOI here IMO.
Icetime doesnt always equal results. Playing extra minutes in front of last years defense and goaltending is not a blessing. So its probably actually much more likely his results would drop, especially as a young player

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Which is my point for your intial comparisn... Im just saying it was a weird choice as Tomsino is already dealing with that
Predators weren’t bad though, and C > W if all else is equal. Yes I realize Mercer plays W a lot. Tomasino is projected as 3RW for the Preds. Mercer would be line 1.

Dubois vs White, same point.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Oh wow, sorry folks if you give so much weight to my opinions that it rattled some bones. :D I just didn't think Jiricek looked ready, that's all. It's one game, and one period and a couple of shifts. Not a big sample and I'm notoriously bad at evaluating anything. But still my opinion. Maybe he's ready by the next game.

At least got a hockey discussion going...

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Oh wow, sorry folks if you give so much weight to my opinions that it rattled some bones. :D I just didn't think Jiricek looked ready, that's all. It's one game, and one period and a couple of shifts. Not a big sample and I'm notoriously bad at evaluating anything. But still my opinion. Maybe he's ready by the next game.

At least got a hockey discussion going...
What's that? A hockey discussion?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I’d like to see some pics of Jiricek’s summer training!

Fantilli plans to buy into the same building as Laine, so they’ll be neighbors, not roommates, eventually. But that’s an indication — if anybody was wondering — that Fantilli knows he’ll be a Blue Jacket this season. He’s already the most talented center on the roster.
Voronkov
“He’s enormous,” AHL Cleveland coach Trent Vogelhuber said. “I’m excited to get him in a game, because he’s one of those guys — a competitive, hard-nosed guy — that probably shines in a game setting.

“He doesn’t speak much English, so you have to work with him there. But hockey is the universal language, so we use video and markers. Google Translate is always there if you need to use it, too.”
“(Jiricek) came in firing right out of camp and carried that over in the world juniors (with Czech Republic),” Vogelhuber said. “It was really an important year for him because it’s a long season, especially with all the tournaments he played. He had to fight through the lulls of the season, and that’s what we’re there for in the American League.

“You have to go through it so you know how to get out of it. We battled and battled through, and he got better at the end, which is what you look for.”

Jiricek said he’s gained 10 pounds of muscle in his offseason workouts.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
excellent backcheck by Fantilli to break up the breakaway. Not sure why Mateychuk didn't shoot the puck

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Jackets dominating at the start (namely the Voronkov-Fantilli-Dumais line) with Jiricek having a few good looks, but Malatesta turns the puck over and gives up a partial breakaway. Goal for Detroit

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Joining a little late but it was nice to see CBJ dominate for a while... and then Malatesta Pinelli lost a battle on the boards and ended up in our net.

And now it's 0-2 DRW, this is going different than the first game. :D

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Jackets dominating at the start (namely the Voronkov-Fantilli-Dumais line) with Jiricek having a few good looks, but Malatesta turns the puck over and gives up a partial breakaway. Goal for Detroit

Joining a little late but it was nice to see CBJ dominate for a while... and then Malatesta lost a battle on the boards (!) and ended up in our net.

And now it's 0-2 DRW, this is going different than the first game. :D

That was Pinelli not Malatesta. The announcers are getting a lot of the names wrong, which is understandable.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
3-0 DRW, I'm having second thoughts on my Lalonde prospect position. Pretty basic rebound shot from the right flank and he just left it wide open.

But I love we get replays now.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
... Fantilli wow. 3-1 CBJ scores on the powerplay with a fantastic individual effort by Fantilli, who skates in with speed, gets the puck in the neutral zone from Mateychuk (who lost control but recovered to make that pass between the legs of a Red Wings forward), and Fantilli stickhandles three Wings and puts it in with a backhand. Cossa might want that back considering how many great saves he's made already but either way a fantastic effort by Fantilli.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad