2023 Traverse City Tournament

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Wait, so is any stream working? YouTube ended, the website has the same YouTube, the Vimeo one has a countdown of 1 hour and 15 minutes (to the next game maybe?)... so any way to watch now?

aRussian

Oct 21, 2007
Ohio
Hard to make much of the 12 minutes we could see so hopefully someone there will be able to give more in-depth analysis of game 1

Reactions: Marioesque

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Such a letdown with the stream, took out all of the wind in my sails that's for sure.

7-3 victory anyway. Next game Saturday, hopefully no issues then...

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Friend who watched said Jiricek was struggling early. Obviously unknown what happened after but can anyone confirm or deny?

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Friend who watched said Jiricek was struggling early. Obviously unknown what happened after but can anyone confirm or deny?
I wouldn’t say struggling, but he didn’t look “obviously better” than everyone else like Fantilli did.

Not to mention, the first few minutes were pretty bad overall for CBJ.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Yeah I wrote a note of "I don't think Jiricek is ready (for the NHL). Two failed clearing attempts in a row (admittedly with a bunch of Leafs around), not really standing out in other ways either." But hard to say when only seeing such a small sample.

Reactions: GoJackets1

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Yeah I wrote a note of "I don't think Jiricek is ready (for the NHL). Two failed clearing attempts in a row (admittedly with a bunch of Leafs around), not really standing out in other ways either." But hard to say when only seeing such a small sample.
He also apparently caused a breakaway with a turnover at the blue line later in the game.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Based on the three shifts we watched?

Hirvonen dangled him, I guess that wasn't good.

If there's one thing I'm not worried about with Jiricek it is the breakout passing. He's the best at it.

I like this tournament to see all the prospects and you can sometimes tell right away if a guy has made big progress in his strength or skating. But if a guy misses a pass or something it's useless information, this is just a low stakes tuneup.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
It was literally 1 shift where he had a few poor attempts to get out of the zone. Imagine writing a note saying not ready for the NHL based on 1 shift.
Even it it were a period or 2 its a strange claim. First semi competitive hockey these guys have played in awhile, not really the place to build too high or low evaluations.

Reactions: majormajor

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
For God's sake lets not overreact because Jiricek turned the puck over.. don't want to discourage the outlet pass as our whole team has been built on transition to O.. to the detriment of our goalies

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Do think suggesting a player is not NHL ready due to game 1 of a prospect showcase is not overreacting?
Yes. If that’s the only thing you’re going off of.

But if you’re including how he looked last year at both the NHL and AHL level on top of it…

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Yes. If that’s the only thing you’re going off of.

But if you’re including how he looked last year at both the NHL and AHL level on top of it…
I dont think anyone is overreacting to questioning some of Jiricek's plays this specific game but making a big claim like not NHL ready based off of it is very bold. He still has a camp and preseason to go through. Even if you look at his WJC he started out kind of slow (outside influences with the gear and travel Ill admit) but ended as an absolute beast. That was a significant change it quality of play over weeks. You can judge a year ago but its actually quite amazing what can change in a year for a young player.

I think it would be just as silly to claim Dumais is NHL ready because he dominated his own league a year ago and had a good showing today

Reactions: VT

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
The thing about Dumais is every where the guy plays people diss him, then he produces and keeps getting better. I realize the jump to the NHL will be really hard for him.. but he reminds me of some slight guys who just have eyes in the backs of their heads, and whose sticks are puck magnets. I'm pulling for the guy.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Do we have the scoresheet for the game somewhere ?

Not hearing anything about Voronkov, I guess he didn’t impress much

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad