2023 Traverse City Tournament

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
I find it Ironic that the Sports presenter is talking to RedWings coach about how many Swedes have played and thrived in Detroit...SYzerman had Cossa and Wallstedt staring him in the eyeball and he pulls a Gigantic Brain Fart!!!

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Unbeknownst to every person in the hockey World...Borje Salming was definately great maybe the Greatest Swedish D-man All-Time...unbeknownst Juha Widing from the Kings was the first Swede to make it!!!The New York Rangers brought young Widing to play Junior hockey in Brandon,Manitoba,Canada! Rangers traded him to the LA Kings in the Ted Irvine deal...Emile Francis GM and coach of the Rangers always talks about how he should have kept the Young Swede born Finland! A big regret...Widing was LA's top Centre for 4-5 years before MDionne and un-throned him...maybe a deal that upset the Kings and effected many players or at least 5-6 and the Chemistry coach Bob Pulford assembled in LA

Reactions: snuffelapagus

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Regardless of the games the RedWings look to be in good shape with the Good-Great young d-men they have drafted and are progressing and developing all at varying stages but stacked on the Blueline. SYz has tried to draft Forwards not sure he's drafted a 2nd line Centre or Wingers that can score regularly yet but it will come. Goal for the Future might be an issue but there are at least 3 viable options

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Bednář - pronounce as Bednarzh. But r and zh must say fast, factually pronounce together.

Is that like the r in Jiricek?

I was told by a native Czech speaker that we shouldn't try to pronounce it the Czech way because we can't make the r sound they make, that just an American r or a British r would be better than mangling it.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

I was told by a native Czech speaker that we shouldn't try to pronounce it the Czech way because we can't make the r sound they make, that just an American r or a British r would be better than mangling it.
Yes.

But right is Jiříček.

Last edited:

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016

Yes, it Is.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Question for those who watched. One of the biggest knocks on Dumais has been his skating speed. I read a Dispatch article that specifically mentioned that Dumais' skating looked better in this prospects tournament. For those who watched...any thoughts on his skating?

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
Question for those who watched. One of the biggest knocks on Dumais has been his skating speed. I read a Dispatch article that specifically mentioned that Dumais' skating looked better in this prospects tournament. For those who watched...any thoughts on his skating?
Out of gear, he looks more like a swimmer body type than a hockey body, short and thick (not to the extreme like TFW but he does remind you of Cam) with a longer upper body. His legs are short even for his height, which makes his stride look weird. Not a scout, but I didn't see skating being his big issue. He's just so small that he has to work so much harder not to get pushed around, even in a prospects tournament. I hope he can connect with someone like Connor Garland, tbh.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

You rarely see Dumais having to skate hard, he's more of an in the right place type of player that maybe doesn't need speed as often.

You can judge for yourself - see on his second goal in the Wings game, Dumais won the foot race but mostly because the Wings players got in each other's way, the skating was pretty choppy. I don't know if it's improved that much.

I think his strength is maybe more important, he has to be able to absorb contact and hold his ground, and not get hurt (he was injured in the Q playoffs). And he did look very strong to me in Traverse.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
You rarely see Dumais having to skate hard, he's more of an in the right place type of player that maybe doesn't need speed as often.
Well put.

Having tried to learn some of these sounds, I have now given up, at least for the time being, on the r sound (and hr/ch and other throaty sounds, not sure how they're spelled exactly). They're just impossible to get right consistently if you didn't grow up with them (and sometimes even then, I hear). It's pretty unique to the Czech language. We should draft more Slovakian players because the Slovakian language is similar but has a lot less of the tough sounds. :D

So yeah Jiricek in English for me, please. Would be a fun drinking game trying to pronounce Jiříček, though!

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Dumais' 5-foot-8 frame is a concern when it comes to his offensive skills translating to the NHL, but his skating has improved significantly since he was drafted and his vision and hockey IQ are elite. "Off the chart IQ," Traverse City teammate Adam Fantilli, the third overall pick in the 2023 draft, said after the tournament. "If I can't even see him, I'm still ready for a pass. He sees a lot of things I don't, and I just have to be ready for a pass. He's a really strong kid. He plays like he's a lot bigger than he is. He's got one of the best hockey brains I've ever played with, so being out there with him has been really special."

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad