2023 Traverse City Tournament

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
7-4 CBJ Peddle with a one-timer from the circle, not sure who made the pass but a very nice connection. We've got offense, it's official.

That was Big Cam Butler who set up the one timer. Legit prospect in my eyes, he's not super skilled but has a decent amount and knows how to use his strength.

Seeing Fantilli set up Jiricek brings the biggest smile to my face

This whole thing has been a huge mood lift. I care somewhat less what happens with our coaching.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
9-7 Detroit gets one back; Lalonde makes a save on a breakaway shot but the puck if left corralling and a Detroit player puts it home. (And then Jiricek loses the puck and it causes a dangerous shot opportunity for Detroit.)

What do we think of Lalonde? Am I wrong thinking he has some issues tracking pucks close to him, a lot of these goals seem to be goals from up close or near the circles or in some scrambles. Shots from the blue line he's been able to save as far as I remember, and some nice ones from the circles in motion (maybe that end of the stick save was a bit lucky though). He looks sharp one time and bad the next, I just don't have a good read on the guy...

CBJ doesn't score on a PP but it looked pretty darn good. Fantilli, Jiricek and Dumais could run the big club #2 PP and it might not be any worse than the last few years'...

And now Butler vs Punnett with an actual pummelling of fists. Not my cup of tea but that was a fight.

10-7 CBJ Fantilli into the empty net to seal the game and his hat track I think.

Last edited:

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Since you liked my hot take of the previous game, here's some more (please don't give these too much weight, just my opinions/predictions based on this game):

Fantilli - Makes the team
Jiricek - AHL-bound, maybe makes the team later though. Too many mistakes and maybe that's all well and good, but can't be making those in the NHL. He's got a lot of offensive skill but still needs to work on the defensive side. Please don't crucify me.
Voronkov - AHL-bound, and it might take him longer than we think. He's big and he battles (and hits) but I'm not seeing the same kind of offensive mind from him that we see in Fantilli, Dumais, Malatesta... His passes don't connect as often or they are a foot too long/short. That between the legs blind pass was nice but that's about it. I don't think he's good enough for the top-6. I don't know how he compares to e.g. Kuraly, Robinson, Olivier etc, maybe he has more upside and can carve out a role that way first, but I expect an AHL stint first.

Interesting to follow:

Dumais - Really good showing in this game. Such an offensive guy, he's not as flashy as Fantilli but he's got good skills and seems to read plays well, and connects with his linemates.
Malatesta - A good showing too, that one monster shift was great, and he was dangerous on multiple occasions. I don't know if he's good enough for the NHL level but he's still young so let him ripen up and see what we end up with.

Others didn't really catch my eye enough on more than one or two occasions.

Bonus points for the production, I think this was a great production considering the resources. Even got some replays going.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I have to go back and watch this later tonight. Our guys have to be gaining some serious confidence in each other. That is where exceptional play in hockey comes from, knowing if you take a risk some one will cover you, and you make the pass your teammate will bury it. Fantilli doesn't play as if he has to do everything, he plays like he wants to elevate everyone. Leader, future captain. Love Peddle.. dude should have been a 2nd-3rd rounder - now he has chip bigger than Mt Everest on that shoulder and I think we are going to be loving that trade for the last pick for years to come.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Man what a game

Our prospect group is absolutely stacked except for goalies where we’re beyond mediocre

Fantilli is on another level

Voronkov looks huge

Voronkov - AHL-bound, and it might take him longer than we think. He's big and he battles (and hits) but I'm not seeing the same kind of offensive mind from him that we see in Fantilli, Dumais, Malatesta... His passes don't connect as often or they are a foot too long/short. I don't think he's good enough for the top-6. I don't know how he compares to e.g. Kuraly, Robinson, Olivier etc, maybe he has more upside and can carve out a role that way first, but I expect an AHL stint first.
I mean I don’t think he was ever projected to get to our top 6, he is huge, he can skate and he hits just like you said, that’s why he was brought in for a bottom 6 spot.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Man what a game

Our prospect group is absolutely stacked except for goalies where we’re beyond mediocre

Fantilli is on another level

Voronkov looks huge

I mean I don’t think he was ever projected to get to our top 6, he is huge, he can skate and he hits just like you said, that’s why he was brought in for a bottom 6 spot.
Agree with this, Voronkov is a 3rd liner who has some skill. He is going to be really good for us.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Since you liked my hot take of the previous game, here's some more (please don't give these too much weight, just my opinions/predictions based on this game):

Fantilli - Makes the team
Jiricek - AHL-bound, maybe makes the team later though. Too many mistakes and maybe that's all well and good, but can't be making those in the NHL. He's got a lot of offensive skill but still needs to work on the defensive side. Please don't crucify me.
Voronkov - AHL-bound, and it might take him longer than we think. He's big and he battles (and hits) but I'm not seeing the same kind of offensive mind from him that we see in Fantilli, Dumais, Malatesta... His passes don't connect as often or they are a foot too long/short. That between the legs blind pass was nice but that's about it. I don't think he's good enough for the top-6. I don't know how he compares to e.g. Kuraly, Robinson, Olivier etc, maybe he has more upside and can carve out a role that way first, but I expect an AHL stint first.

Interesting to follow:

Dumais - Really good showing in this game. Such an offensive guy, he's not as flashy as Fantilli but he's got good skills and seems to read plays well, and connects with his linemates.
Malatesta - A good showing too, that one monster shift was great, and he was dangerous on multiple occasions. I don't know if he's good enough for the NHL level but he's still young so let him ripen up and see what we end up with.

Others didn't really catch my eye enough on more than one or two occasions.

Bonus points for the production, I think this was a great production considering the resources. Even got some replays going.

I'll concur on all of this.

Voronkov didn't look great but it's also a kids tournament and we won't see the real Voronkov until the pro games get serious.

Jiricek's rush defense is as bad as ever, I think it's fair to call it a gong show. He stepped up on Danielson and got walked, he stepped up on Soderblom and got crushed. It's just not working for him.

Fantilli should be our top center immediately.

Dumais is such a damn good passer and finisher, I think he's going to make it.

Malatesta was the biggest positive surprise tonight for me. I know he can hit and score but he looked good on the PP and connected on his passes. I've often seen him struggle with that, so to see him play like the total package tonight was encouraging. He was a beast.

On some other guys.

Cam Butler - big strong physical package - he teed up the Peddle goal and had a fight, looked like none of the Wings could handle him physically for much of the game.

Rysavy looked rough, not sure what's going on there. This is a guy that scored 10 pts in 10 WHL playoff games so this was a disappointing showing.

Mateychuk looked great at times but had a lot of turnovers on whiff passes - he plays with a long stick and when he reaches his stick forward he can't get the flat part of the blade on the puck. Anyways, they'll fix that, the important part is that he looks quicker and stronger.

Svozil had a Svozil sort of game. Nice snipe, some good anticipation and passing, got walked by Soderblom.

Ben Roger is real big and fast, I guess they already knew that. I wonder if he'd be a good signing, maybe the puck skill / sense will improve later for him.

Ceulemans was trying but I don't know if he has a great feel for it at either end. He's a long term play for me to see if he'll figure it out later.

Del Bel Belluz was okay, not seeing anything special from him yet. He's really not quick.

Pinelli maybe didn't have his best game, got stripped on the Sawchuk goal, didn't do much positively with the puck. Whatever, he's 18.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
The Commentators are maybe calling for Fantilli to win the Calder(Rookie)Trophy...OMG...I thought he would have been better served in Michigan 1 more season! I like the kid but it seems that kids with Size and some talent jump at the first chance to turn Pro or they're getting bad or otherwise advice to turn Pro which makes me Crazy once the kid Struggles and then gets sent to the Minors-AHL which is no place for a Top 3 Draft pick in any Draft Year!You want you Top pick to be your Numero Uno Centre or whatever position it is...that should be the potential of any Top Choice to be a dominating top tiered player at their position not some Minor Leaguer who gets bounced around runs into Concussions and has their Career cut...Like I said I like Fantilli a lot but would have rather have seen him play another season and come out just before his 20th B-Day instead of his 19 B-day! He's a Good Canadian kid that I'd like to see become maybe the next Jean Beliveau and not some 3rd line Centre

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The Commentators are maybe calling for Fantilli to win the Calder(Rookie)Trophy...OMG...I thought he would have been better served in Michigan 1 more season! I like the kid but it seems that kids with Size and some talent jump at the first chance to turn Pro or they're getting bad or otherwise advice to turn Pro which makes me Crazy once the kid Struggles and then gets sent to the Minors-AHL which is no place for a Top 3 Draft pick in any Draft Year!You want you Top pick to be your Numero Uno Centre or whatever position it is...that should be the potential of any Top Choice to be a dominating top tiered player at their position not some Minor Leaguer who gets bounced around runs into Concussions and has their Career cut...Like I said I like Fantilli a lot but would have rather have seen him play another season and come out just before his 20th B-Day instead of his 19 B-day! He's a Good Canadian kid that I'd like to see become maybe the next Jean Beliveau and not some 3rd line Centre

Ray he is so far beyond the "NHL ready" mark, it's not even a question. He's going to be better than a 3rd liner immediately, I think likely the Blue Jackets top center immediately.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Jiricek's rush defense is as bad as ever, I think it's fair to call it a gong show. He stepped up on Danielson and got walked, he stepped up on Soderblom and got crushed. It's just not working for him.
Don’t know why he tries to step up on guys so much. It won’t work at the NHL level

Reactions: Marioesque

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
He's not comfortable on the backfoot and compensates by stepping up.
Do you think he’ll be able to calm down and get that out of his game? If his transition game is that bad against prospects it’s going to be even worse in the pros

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Do you think he’ll be able to calm down and get that out of his game? If his transition game is that bad against prospects it’s going to be even worse in the pros

I don't know, it might always be a weakness.

The task is to fix the backskating so that he's more comfortable just making the safe play, right now he doesn't have a safe option if he gets caught flat footed.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Fantilli might not start out as our top line center, but he’ll sure as hell be our best center by the end of the year.

I see no reason he can’t have a rookie Eichel type impact right off the bat. He’s a monster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad