2023 Traverse City Tournament

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
The team isn’t there, this is a prospect camp. I’d rather him be hanging/working out with the guys. Hockey is hockey, the language of the game is universal. AFAIK Jordan Weal doesn’t speak Russian but was great on AK Bars. How he fits with your culture, is something I would assume you are trying to find out in the scouting/draft process, right?

I’m skeptical 3 games in the outskirts of Michigan tell them much about the things you’re concerned with, for the team inside NWA.
Jordan Weal was ani experienced player.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
So why not invite Sillinger?

5 year KHL player, team captain, Olympic and WJC player, but he needs to prove himself among 19-20 year olds?

Even if that were the case, how do you prove anything if you’re 3 years further along in development than everyone else… should you not already be expected to be a better player? Do we think that this tournament has merit on his likelihood of making an NHL roster? Marchenko had 5 points in 3GP last year (T-2nd for all scoring) and still didn’t make the team.

Voronkov is expected to be a bottom 6 player, whose value does not come from scoring - I don’t need to see him play two way and hit/fight 19-20 yo players. I need to see if his game stands up against NHL size/skill.
Because they know exactly what they have in Sillinger. They've been directly in control of everything he's been doing for the last two years.

With Voronkov they haven't had the same ability to get that first hand knowledge on how he operates. Yeah they can watch tape or listen to someone else's scouting report. But now he he's in front of the coaches and FO and every single time he touches the ice, goes to an off-ice training session or even goes out to dinner with the guys (or doesn't) is a chance to learn something new about him.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Any information on how to watch the games? YouTube? Bally? CBJ website?
IIRC there was no live streams at all last year, just live video from reporters who were there. Hopefully they bring back the streams (they were on twitter or the CBJ website IIRC)

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Every game was streamed last year just as promised in the team's official tournament info page. Bob and Tyrer were also there to provide PBP. This year's news release doesn't say anything about streaming. Red Wings are going to stream all of their games so we should able to see one CBJ game minimum.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Every game was streamed last year just as promised in the team's official tournament info page. Bob and Tyrer were also there to provide PBP. This year's news release doesn't say anything about streaming. Red Wings are going to stream all of their games so we should able to see one CBJ game minimum.
Thanks. I watched last year‘s games on the website and was hoping there’d be something similar this year. As you said, we are assured of at least one viewing.

Reactions: tunnelvision

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Leafs as well

Not sure if I got this right, are they just providing links so that other teams can stream that one game they'll have against Detroit on their own social channels but they're not going to broadcast other games?

Both are college hockey guys who aren’t very good. Not draft picks that you own the rights to, and have under contract - who have been playing in a men’s league for 5 years. Not worth it.

Knies is a lock to make Toronto’s roster, he’s still there. Sillinger should be too, in Voronkov’s spot.

We also have a 25 year old Ive never heard of going
Don’t worry. Still has HUGE upside!

Because they know exactly what they have in Sillinger.
you sure about that?

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Both are college hockey guys who aren’t very good. Not draft picks that you own the rights to, and have under contract - who have been playing in a men’s league for 5 years. Not worth it.

Knies is a lock to make Toronto’s roster, he’s still there. Sillinger should be too, in Voronkov’s spot.

Don’t worry. Still has HUGE upside!

you sure about that?
They know his habits, they know he handles adversity, how he interacts with his teammates, how he handles being sent down. Things like that. All they have on Voronkov is what they've heard from their scouts and his coaches.

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
are people actually mad that voronkov is going instead of sillinger? we've waited five years for him to come over, this means we get to see him in a CBJ uniform a little bit earlier.

from a player dev standpoint… voronkov should be getting as much game speed action as he can before the season starts, since he isn't used to the NA ice/game. he has more to gain from playing there than sillinger, who the jackets have had in the building for two years and gave marching orders to at the end of last season.

i'm sure both guys will play big preseason minutes as they're likely competing for the same lineup spot. it would actually put voronkov at a disadvantage to not play in traverse, as his first game action on NA ice would come during that competition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad