2023 Traverse City Tournament

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
6 teams have NHL sized rinks in the KHL. WJC was normal sized too. Not sure about the Olympic rinks in China.
If you're not a lock on an NHL roster you are taking every single opportunity to get on the ice in front of your org. He also barely speaks any English, he needs to be around English speakers on and off the ice every chance he gets.

CBJProspects

Aug 14, 2021
If you're not a lock on an NHL roster you are taking every single opportunity to get on the ice in front of your org. He also barely speaks any English, he needs to be around English speakers on and off the ice every chance he gets.
Plus we don’t have many Russians that speak very good English around. Marchenkos is good(better than my Russian) Tarasov maybe Chinakhov is still mostly Russian iirc. Just a thought

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
He’s going to be 23 when the games start. 6’03” 190lbs, with 5 years of pro hockey under his belt.

Playing against 18 and 19 year old kids, yeah I just don’t get it. Most people consider prospects U23, and this is a tournament designed for recently drafted players IMO.

Marchenko was 22 yo (and I thought that was pushing it), Chinakhov 21.

To the bolded, why not send Sillinger who is younger than guys like McKown, Knazko, Pyyhtia, Svozil?

Justin Pearson (AHL contract) is 25 which also makes zero sense.

Last edited:

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
He’s going to be 23 when the games start. 6’03” 190lbs, with 5 years of pro hockey under his belt.

Playing against 18 and 19 year old kids, yeah I just don’t get it. Most people consider prospects U23, and this is a tournament designed for recently drafted players IMO.

Marchenko was 22 yo (and I thought that was pushing it), Chinakhov 21.

To the bolded, why not send Sillinger who is younger than guys like McKown, Knazko, Pyyhtia, Svozil?

Justin Pearson is 25 which also makes zero sense.

What’s the downside of him playing?

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Check out last year's rosters, most players in the tournament were over 20. And there have been other 23+ year olds so it's not uncommon for a prospect like Voronkov to participate.

More experience in the NHL = player knows the organisation better and vice versa.

Reactions: thebus88

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Check out last year's rosters, most players in the tournament were over 20. And there have been other 23+ year olds so it's not uncommon for a prospect like Voronkov to participate.

More experience in the NHL = player knows the organisation better and vice versa.
The Detroit roster you sent had 3 players older than Voronkov is, and all were college guys.

I think it’s different than sending a 23 year old with 5 years of pro experience - that is not common.

Leafs sent 23 year old Pontus Holmberg though - again kind of odd. What a surprise their top production came from guys who are much older.

You learn a lot less sending older players than you do the young guys.

Last edited:

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I think it’s different than sending a 23 year old with 5 years of pro experience - that is not common.
Yet each year most teams seem to invite 1 or 2 players that have had multiple years of experience playing in pros.

You learn a lot less sending older players than you do the young guys.
So instead they should fill empty lineup spots with random U20 camp invites who have very marginal chances of making it in the NHL?

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Yet each year most teams seem to invite 1 or 2 players that have had multiple years of experience playing in pros.

So instead they should fill empty lineup spots with random U20 camp invites who have very marginal chances of making it in the NHL?
We have that too - see Jiricek, Pyyhtia, etc.

I’m seeing one spot, which would be better filled with Sillinger, Weisblatt (ice time), or Delic (ice time) - rather than someone that has nothing to prove.

Invite guys you thought looked good at Dev Camp (like Poisson), and see what you might have. That’s my point, we really know what we have in Dima.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I’m seeing one spot, which would be better filled with Sillinger, Weisblatt (ice time), or Delic (ice time) - rather than someone that has nothing to prove.

Invite guys you thought looked good at Dev Camp (like Poisson), and see what you might have. That’s my point, we really know what we have in Dima.
Until he produces and solidifies his role, he has everything to prove. Nothing is ever guaranteed.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Until he produces and solidifies his role, he has everything to prove. Nothing is ever guaranteed.
So why not invite Sillinger?

5 year KHL player, team captain, Olympic and WJC player, but he needs to prove himself among 19-20 year olds?

Even if that were the case, how do you prove anything if you’re 3 years further along in development than everyone else… should you not already be expected to be a better player? Do we think that this tournament has merit on his likelihood of making an NHL roster? Marchenko had 5 points in 3GP last year (T-2nd for all scoring) and still didn’t make the team.

Voronkov is expected to be a bottom 6 player, whose value does not come from scoring - I don’t need to see him play two way and hit/fight 19-20 yo players. I need to see if his game stands up against NHL size/skill.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
As long as he's unfamiliar with the team, language and culture, and the Jackets don't know how that's going to affect his play, off-ice well-being etc... I don't think we really know.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
As long as he's unfamiliar with the team, language and culture, and the Jackets don't know how that's going to affect his play, off-ice well-being etc... I don't think we really know.
The team isn’t there, this is a prospect camp. I’d rather him be hanging/working out with the guys. Hockey is hockey, the language of the game is universal. AFAIK Jordan Weal doesn’t speak Russian but was great on AK Bars. How he fits with your culture, is something I would assume you are trying to find out in the scouting/draft process, right?

I’m skeptical 3 games in the outskirts of Michigan tell them much about the things you’re concerned with, for the team inside NWA.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
The team isn’t there, this is a prospect camp. I’d rather him be hanging/working out with the guys. Hockey is hockey, the language of the game is universal. AFAIK Jordan Weal doesn’t speak Russian but was great on AK Bars. How he fits with your culture, is something I would assume you are trying to find out in the scouting/draft process, right?

I’m skeptical 3 games in the outskirts of Michigan tell them much about the things you’re concerned with, for the team inside NWA.

It's not going to help evaluate him, it's really not a great setting for evaluating players in general. What I like is that it gives Dmitri a few days of language immersion away from the other Russians. Not very important either way.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

Can't he do both? This is like the pickle on a nothingburger

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad