Speculation: 2023 Trade/Free agency thread aka “The Verbeekening - Part Deux”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
The other relevant RFA question other than Comtois is whether or not the team qualifies Benoit. I think they would, he's a passable spare Dman that costs nothing.
If Benoit doesn’t get one they clearly just want to move on. IMO a bit of a shame, I like Benny and think there’s some potential there.

Or they could be scared of arbitration, he has a sneaky decent case if he went that route.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
All the talk surrounding Shattenkirk made me remember Scott Harrington is a UFA tomorrow as well. He made enough of an impression that I wouldn't mind bringing him back for another season.

I feel we can add a Kulikov type to play with Fowler and they will be fine. My concerns is finding a compliment for Drysdale and if LaCombe is sticking with the big club for him as well. Our D right now…

Fowler - ????
???? - Drysdale(obviously gonna extend him, lol)
LaCombe - ????
White

IMG_4435.jpeg

Vaak is on IR still I think, but he cannot stay healthy, didn’t include him.

Reactions: Hey234

NWWisconsinDuck

Jun 28, 2023
Nobody is expecting this team to do much next year and nobody expects Verbeek to go out and land a big fish -

However, I would like to see some moves made to improve this team and take a step to be competitive. I also want to see a guy like Reaves brought in even though I don’t like him. No more being easy to play against and getting pushed around.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
It’s a tough deal
This was always a weak free agent year, so not much expectation.

We are in a weird spot defense wise. We have a lot of young guys coming in and need to see what they can do. Dont want to fill with borderline vets.

We are the awkward kid standing in the corner at the dance

Reactions: ohcomeonref
Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
It’s a tough deal
This was always a weak free agent year, so not much expectation.

We are in a weird spot defense wise. We have a lot of young guys coming in and need to see what they can do. Dont want to fill with borderline vets.

We are the awkward kid standing in the corner at the dance
In this analogy we just need to add a couple of butterfaces to our dance card.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
So what potential beneficial cap casualties can we aim at?

I think garland/ beauvillier make sense from Canucks.

Not sure if there are many dmen on the list outside of myers

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
Shats being gone.. Automatically makes this team that much better lol

I say we sign Dumba.. Ive been saying that.. lol. Hell Bring back kulikov
I think I'd prefer Harrington to either of the other 2. Dumba is a less skilled/more physical(at least he was)Klingberg. I want guys who focus is defense. Let the kids develop into the offensive roles.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
I think I'd prefer Harrington to either of the other 2. Dumba is a less skilled/more physical(at least he was)Klingberg. I want guys who focus is defense. Let the kids develop into the offensive roles.
I don’t know if I want Dumba but he has some incredible defensive numbers the last few years. He isn’t like Klingberg at all.

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
If Domi can be had fairly reasonable, he might fit in nicely. Good energy guy and did pretty well with Dallas last year.

John

I like the idea of Domi, but I have to think his number is going to be far north of what hes worth. Not that we need to pinch pennies but he will likely be overpaid. The other question is, does Verbeek even like gritty players?

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
I don’t know if I want Dumba but he has some incredible defensive numbers the last few years. He isn’t like Klingberg at all.
Really? I thought his reputation was all offense. What defensive numbers are we looking at? I tend to be skeptical of anything that says they measure defense as they're usually just shot metrics that do t actually measure a players ability to defend.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I hope we bring back Benoit, he's a good enough #6 now and can be a good #7 when kids develop and pass him. He's physical and can play some defense, we'll probably know better how well when we actually have a defensive system. Hopefully the Ducks pick up at least one physical D before training camp and another Harrington type (journeyman who can play up or down the pairs). Basically a guy that will challenge kids for a spot but not hold them back if they earn one. Hopefully something like:

Fowler- UFA/Trade
LaCombe- Drysdale
Benoit- Helleson
IF LaCombe and Helleson earn those spots, but not likely:

Fowler- UFA/Trade
UFA/Trade- Drysdale
Benoit- LaCombe (or slide LaCombe over and play LaCombe- Helleson if he out plays Benoit)

Reactions: Yemeth
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Really? I thought his reputation was all offense. What defensive numbers are we looking at? I tend to be skeptical of anything that says they measure defense as they're usually just shot metrics that do t actually measure a players ability to defend.
I think those, and I might have gotten some things mistaken, but he was apart of their shutdown pairing and had an awful year offensively on top of pretty much never putting up big numbers.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
So Benoit not qualified, Shattenkirk not returning. I expect us to be landing some D, we don’t even have enough in the system right now. Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad