WJC: 2023 Team Canada Roster Talk Part 2

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Canada was horrible at Faceoffs and that is one of Becks strengths. Even if he took the draw and then went off the ice after a defensive zone win. Doubt anything changes though.
Will have to see whether last night was an aberration or not. Before about half way through that game Canada had been dominating on faceoffs all tournament. But a flip switched in the 2nd and Wright could not win a draw to save his life. I doubt Beck will be seeing any significant ice time the rest of the way barring injury.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
Will have to see whether last night was an aberration or not. Before about half way through that game Canada had been dominating on faceoffs all tournament. But a flip switched in the 2nd and Wright could not win a draw to save his life. I doubt Beck will be seeing any significant ice time the rest of the way barring injury.
One thing that would make sense would be to throw Beck in there sometimes just to take the draw, and have him change right afterwards (assuming he wins it).

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Agreed - real strong two-way game has always been the hallmark to his game and a big reason as to why he went so high.

His offence concerns are why he didn‘t go first. He‘s a good, not great offensive player, he has a real good shot but isn’t a guy that can drive offence per say - he Is fantastic within 5’ of the net, very strong battling and good at creating time and space for himself in front of the net.

I feel some had misconceptions on the type of player Wright is, at the end of the day he is 18 years old - playing the game the right way. it’s not his fault he was a player that got caught up in the Canadian media hype machine.
I am actually quite impressed with Wright's playmaking skills. He feels like a guy that you build chemistry with over the course of 20 or 30 games and then all the sudden you know how to read off each other. Like you said, it's not the elite vision of the really high end guys like Crosby or Kane.

I think if you had a Kucherov or Marner to play with him he'd be perfectly fine as your #1 center long term. I don't see him reaching Getzlaf or Eric Staal type peak where he can drive offense on his own. I would bet on a Jordan Staal type floor though. Really like him as a player. I can see the logic of wanting to shoot for the stars with a #1 overall pick, but you better be damn sure passing up on a guy like Wright IMO.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
It was so crazy being in the building last night, can’t even comprehend the stress and excitement I endured.

I had adrenaline going until 4am then I finally slept! What a feeling. We NEED to come out strong against the Americans. This will be the hardest test yet we played every team except Latvia and USA. This is going to be crazy.

prongertheman9

May 30, 2010
Canada had such an opportunity when Dach went out to change the makeup of this team slightly. They clearly designed the forward group thinking that the top 6 would carry the offence and would fill out the bottom 6 with role players. But it has been pretty evident that Wright's line was more of a glorified 3rd line and now they had 1 scoring line and 9 bottom 6 forwards. Nothing against Beck at all but he seems like more of what we already have. Why not take a risk on a potential needle mover like Dumais and if he doesn't work out you just bury him as the 13th forward.

The new lines could've been something line:

Othman - Stankoven - Bedard
Bedard & Stank don't necessarily need someone of Roy's IQ to produce and would probably be better served to have him in a role to have the puck more and spread out the offense. Othman can do the dirty work and can chip in offensively despite the blown chances so far.

Guenther - Roy - Dumais
Not sure is Roy can play C - if not sub him for Stank and move Bedard to C.
Although I have been completely underwhelmed with Guenther this tourney, pairing him with 2 high IQ playmakers that can carry the puck allows him to play the role of triggerman, which he has shown he is capable of. Wright and Othman aren't good enough at driving play to allow Guenther to play the role that he is best utilized in.

x - Wright - x

x - x - x

I haven't been disappointed in Wright because he is what I thought he was: a dependable C who plays the game the right way but just doesn't have the skill set or apparent desire to open it up and carry some of the offensive load. Let him play the role he is best suited in and fill in the x's with whoever you want since the rest of the forwards are pretty much interchangeable at this point.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
It was so crazy being in the building last night, can’t even comprehend the stress and excitement I endured.

I had adrenaline going until 4am then I finally slept! What a feeling. We NEED to come out strong against the Americans. This will be the hardest test yet we played every team except Latvia and USA. This is going to be crazy.
LOL! Good for you. my friend, I'm glad you had a great time - and WE won. :thumbu:

Too many Canadian fans are down because we barely beat Slovakia. Posters need to remember that Slovakia smoked the U.S. - so they were no joke.

canuck2010

Dec 21, 2010
I just hope that all of the players are determined to win this thing on their own. Don't just leave it to Bedard.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I could see the US game being a total shootout. Canada hasn't defended particularly well in this tourney so far but neither have the Americans. I don't think either team is capable of playing the Eastern European shell as well as the Czechs or Slovaks have. Lots of scoring talent for both sides, might be a tough game to be a goalie.

Wright hasn't blown the doors off offensively(although 6pts in 5gp isn't really all that bad either) but he has been used as a checking C and been pretty decent at it. Will be interesting to see if it's him or Bedard's line that draws the Cooley matchup from a coaching standpoint. I could see good arguments for either.

I think I'd just stick Fantilli up with Stankoven and Bedard and see how it goes for a period, Roy is good but I think he'd be good anywhere and looked like he didn't quite belong on the one touch quick offense line in the QF game.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
Cannot agree more. Clarke has been good all tournament except for those 2 obvious untimely mistakes after which he responded very well. Kid is a stud & made LA kings at 19 for a reason. Lets see how he responds in the semi after making those 2 mistakes.

Yeah, I completely disagree with this. It wasn't just 2 mistakes, those were just so blatant that more people noticed them. Clarke has been awful outside of the offensive zone the entire tournament. I honestly couldn't believe how poor he was defensively when I first watched him in this tournament, and it has only gotten worse.

Reactions: FrankGallagher

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I have mostly been surprised by the lack of foot speed from Clarke. I expected some adventures in his own end but he just flat out doesn't look like a very good skater.

Reactions: Statsy

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Bedard/Stankoven together at even strength is dumb. Bedard is a magic talent, you want the puck on his stick absolutely as much as possible. Putting 2 small guys on the same line means fewer puck battles won, more time defending - this line is not dominating possession at all vs Slovakia. Also when they do have the puck, it’s often on Stankoven’s stick, not Bedard’s.

It’s just not maximizing talents.
Bedard took off when he was paired with Stankoven. They IMMEDIATELY started to look dangerous at even strength. As a shooter, Bedard still needs someone to feed him and that's neither Guenther or Othmann.

You just have this one absolutely wrong.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I disagree on Shane Wright being a disappointment. I've watched all the Canada games in person and at this point #15 is the only guy I trust not to f*** up the game. Even Bedard has some pretty obvious defensive shortcomings that make me nervous with his line out there. With Canada's defense as bad as it is Wright being that calming presence is a MAJOR contribution.

I completely agree on someone other than Bedard needing to contribute to the offense though. Stankoven and Wright and the only other guys consistently creating chances.
I think the problem is some fans want to continue to judge Wright's performance on what they think he was supposed to be when he was hyped up as the can't miss #1 pick, and not whether or not he's performing fine at what he does.

Has Wright been a bit underwhelming offensively so far? Sure, but so has everyone on the team at 5on5 other than Bedard and Stankoven. But Wright's been very good defensively, does a lot of the dirty work on the PP that he won't get points for because he's more of the net front/screen guy, and still managed to put up 6 points in 5 games.

If folks would judge him for how he's actually playing and not how they think he should be playing based on his pre-draft hype, chances are the reviews would be different.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Canada had such an opportunity when Dach went out to change the makeup of this team slightly. They clearly designed the forward group thinking that the top 6 would carry the offence and would fill out the bottom 6 with role players. But it has been pretty evident that Wright's line was more of a glorified 3rd line and now they had 1 scoring line and 9 bottom 6 forwards. Nothing against Beck at all but he seems like more of what we already have. Why not take a risk on a potential needle mover like Dumais and if he doesn't work out you just bury him as the 13th forward.
This is what Canada and the USA almost always do at the WJCs. They always galaxy-brain themselves into bringing worse players because they need "role players" in the bottom-six.

It's so dumb. There's no salary cap here. Just ice 4 all-star calibre lines and run over the competition. These guys are all top players in junior, they can PK.

Now they're in a position where they need Bedard-Stankoven to drag them to the final, and hope the rest of the forwards can hold the opposition to a draw.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
This is what Canada and the USA almost always do at the WJCs. They always galaxy-brain themselves into bringing worse players because they need "role players" in the bottom-six.

It's so dumb. There's no salary cap here. Just ice 4 all-star calibre lines and run over the competition. These guys are all top players in junior, they can PK.

Now they're in a position where they need Bedard-Stankoven to drag them to the final, and hope the rest of the forwards can hold the opposition to a draw.
I get the logic of bringing perhaps 1 line of defensive minded forwards that can still produce offensively (think of L’heureux, Gaucher, Savoie), but bringing a clear bottom 6 to play checking roles is outdated in my opinion. And when the bottom 6 brought to play physical doesn’t play physical, we see results like the czech game

Reactions: Statsy

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I get the logic of bringing perhaps 1 line of defensive minded forwards that can still produce offensively (think of L’heureux, Gaucher, Savoie), but bringing a clear bottom 6 to play checking roles is outdated in my opinion. And when the bottom 6 brought to play physical doesn’t play physical, we see results like the czech game
You also run the risk of getting into a situation like the Slovakia game, where you drastically have the run of play but can't finish because 3/4 of your lineup are grinders.

Reactions: Mathieukferland

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I think the problem is some fans want to continue to judge Wright's performance on what they think he was supposed to be when he was hyped up as the can't miss #1 pick, and not whether or not he's performing fine at what he does.

Has Wright been a bit underwhelming offensively so far? Sure, but so has everyone on the team at 5on5 other than Bedard and Stankoven. But Wright's been very good defensively, does a lot of the dirty work on the PP that he won't get points for because he's more of the net front/screen guy, and still managed to put up 6 points in 5 games.

If folks would judge him for how he's actually playing and not how they think he should be playing based on his pre-draft hype, chances are the reviews would be different.
Wright has been fine to good outside of the Slovakia game. If people are expecting a star performance from phenom Shane Wright then they are bound to be disappointed. If they are expecting a solid performance from an 18 year old #4 pick on the second line then he's been adequate. You'd still like to see more offence going forward.

Reactions: prongertheman9

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
LOL! Good for you. my friend, I'm glad you had a great time - and WE won. :thumbu:

Too many Canadian fans are down because we barely beat Slovakia. Posters need to remember that Slovakia smoked the U.S. - so they were no joke.
We’re the same team that beat Sweden 5-1!

Also shoutout to the individual who is listing their Gold Medal ticket on StubHub for $65,000! Absolutely insane.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Wright has been fine to good outside of the Slovakia game. If people are expecting a star performance from phenom Shane Wright then they are bound to be disappointed. If they are expecting a solid performance from an 18 year old #4 pick on the second line then he's been adequate. You'd still like to see more offence going forward.
While true, you could say that for about 95% of the roster.

Which begs the question: how much of it is on the coaching staff when a team full of players who should be looking dominant offensively all (aside from the 2 mentioned prior) look underwhelming? We're talking about a bunch of guys who went high in the NHL draft because of their supposed elite offensive skill all looking like they can barely generate a chance or two all game at 5on5.

So either these players (plural) are all underachieving offensively and aren't playing up to their capability, or the coaching staff isn't putting them in the proper situation to generate chances and produce by way of line combos, team system expected of them, and how they deploy the defense to help jump into the offensive attack.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
While true, you could say that for about 95% of the roster.

Which begs the question: how much of it is on the coaching staff when a team full of players who should be looking dominant offensively all (aside from the 2 mentioned prior) look underwhelming? We're talking about a bunch of guys who went high in the NHL draft because of their supposed elite offensive skill all looking like they can barely generate a chance or two all game at 5on5.

So either these players (plural) are all underachieving offensively and aren't playing up to their capability, or the coaching staff isn't putting them in the proper situation to generate chances and produce by way of line combos, team system expected of them, and how they deploy the defense to help jump into the offensive attack.
You could say that with a couple of bounces Wright's offence looks good on paper, and that is true, but I don't think that anyone is going to be waxing about the coaching masterclass of the 2023 Canadian WJC team. A lot of the time this team is scrambling on defence and outside of the powerplay, admittedly quite a strong powerplay, you're not often that impressed with what they do offensively. Wright's line lacks a dynamic quality and that has been the case for a while now. In an ideal situation he would be the centre of the third line but that's not what we have.

Hopefully that line can do something tonight and impress everyone.

Mathieukferland

Oct 11, 2020
Sloane Square, Chelsea, England
You could say that with a couple of bounces Wright's offence looks good on paper, and that is true, but I don't think that anyone is going to be waxing about the coaching masterclass of the 2023 Canadian WJC team. A lot of the time this team is scrambling on defence and outside of the powerplay, admittedly quite a strong powerplay, you're not often that impressed with what they do offensively. Wright's line lacks a dynamic quality and that has been the case for a while now. In an ideal situation he would be the centre of the third line but that's not what we have.

Hopefully that line can do something tonight and impress everyone.
Credit to Stéphane Julien, he is running the power play and would be my choice for head coach next year with how well he did in the summer with perhaps the strongest Hlinka team ever. As for Shane Wright, as I’ve mentioned before, I’m not so concerned if he produces tonight offensively, but defensively I imagine he’s going to get the matchup against the top American line and hopefully he’s up to the task

Reactions: Sideline

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
That line just can't be chasing the puck all night. On NYE Wright dominated faceoffs that line constantly had puck possession and had their best game overall. Against Slovakia Wright got dominated on faceoffs and they were constantly chasing the puck all night and forced to defend.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Credit to Stéphane Julien, he is running the power play and would be my choice for head coach next year with how well he did in the summer with perhaps the strongest Hlinka team ever. As for Shane Wright, as I’ve mentioned before, I’m not so concerned if he produces tonight offensively, but defensively I imagine he’s going to get the matchup against the top American line and hopefully he’s up to the task
For all the talk of Canada being a one man show, the US is looking suspiciously like a one line team. Shane Wright shutting that line down would be a massive boost to Canada's chances.

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
I've watched every minute since puck drop of the first pre-tournament game, and I can't understand how the coaching staff hasn't instructed them to challenge the opposing defensemen more when they have the puck at the blueline in Canada's zone. Game after game I see a huge gap between Canada's forwards and opposing defenseman, with Canada's players all stacked in the middle leading to lots of traffic for screens and uncontested shots (see Svozil, Moravec, Sinn, Jansson and Nemec goals). The USA has a lot of offensive talent on the blueline that will exploit this all day if we don't adjust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad