WJC: 2023 Team Canada Roster Talk Part 2

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Must say, I'm very much regretting not pouncing on some (expensive) gold medal game tickets after the group stage. My father and I have gone to two WJC tournaments and seen Canada play (and lose) two gold medal games. Tournament is within driving distance and seeing people from home drunk in the crowd on TSN has me filled with regret. Will be looking at the secondary market.

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
I still can't believe how bad we played in the first 10-12 minutes. Like it looked like men against boys. It was so bad my Dad left and I thought about turning it off. But credit to the boys they turned it around and played with a ton of heart. Milic was incredible. I can't recall the last time our goalie saved us that much.
I'm happy even if we lose to the Czechs how upset can you really be when they don't have a gold since 2001. I'm just so happy we didn't lose to the Americans again.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I still can't believe how bad we played in the first 10-12 minutes. Like it looked like men against boys. It was so bad my Dad left and I thought about turning it off. But credit to the boys they turned it around and played with a ton of heart. Milic was incredible. I can't recall the last time our goalie saved us that much.
I'm happy even if we lose to the Czechs how upset can you really be when they don't have a gold since 2001. I'm just so happy we didn't lose to the Americans again.
You should have seen the venom directed by Canadians posters at their own team in the GDT. It was horrific. The same posters, over and over, again, for almost 50 pages dumping on Canadian hockey.

Once the game was in the bag, they changed their tune but we sure have a some self-hate issues in this country.

Last edited:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
You should have seen the venom directed by Canadians posters at their own team in the GDT. It was horrific. The same posters, over and over, again, for almost 50 pages dumping on Canadian hockey.

Once the game was in the bag, they changed their tune but we sure have a some self-hate issues in this county.
Literally every fan base does that when there team is down, in every single thread on this message board.

Reactions: Torts

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
As they said in the post game, this team hasn't played a great 60 minutes yet - hopefully that will happen tomorrow.

Literally every fan base does that when there team is down, in every single thread on this message board.
Uh huh. You seem a little defensive. Any reason why?

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Canada played well up front and in goal. On the back end, not so much. To our credit, we were opportunistic.

How many games have we lost over the years where we dominated but couldn't score, while the other team buried their chances? Too many to count. Tonight, we were the opportunistic ones.

Both disallowed goals were called correctly.

Czechia is a terrific team and they seem to have destiny on their side. We, on the other hand, have the better team, home ice and the revenge factor.

I hope it's a great game!

Last edited:

BurnabyJoe7

Derek Ryan is a top 6 forward change my mind
Apr 12, 2019
I thought Fantilli had a great game today and Ostapchuk is having a great tournament and should be playing more/moved up in the lineup. Beck should have made it over a lot of the others.

Guys that need to play more:
Fantilli
Ostapchuk
Beck
Hinds

Guys that need to play less:
Guenther
Clarke (Hinds should play with Zellweger on the first pairing)

Reactions: ORRFForever

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I still don't think Canada defends very well. The score flatters the performance in their own zone. If Milic wasn't heroic, it could have been a very different result.

I don't know if it's coaching or the personnel, but the coverage in the defensive zone is shoddy. And even when guys are in position they don't seem to tie up sticks.

Timely offense and Milic having his best game of the tournament covered up for a lot of weak D-zone and neutral zone defensive play.

Reactions: daver

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Non Canadian posters keep whining about Canada's home ice advantage.

Canadians, to our credit, are willing to pay higher prices and fill rinks at the higher rate than all other countries combined. That is why the games are here - and home ice is our reward for that support.

If non Canadians want home ice, pay big bucks to see International Hockey. Until they do, the IIHF is going to choose money and sold out arena's.

It is what it is.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
I still don't think Canada defends very well. The score flatters the performance in their own zone. If Milic wasn't heroic, it could have been a very different result.

I don't know if it's coaching or the personnel, but the coverage in the defensive zone is shoddy. And even when guys are in position they don't seem to tie up sticks.

Timely offense and Milic having his best game of the tournament covered up for a lot of weak D-zone and neutral zone defensive play.
I disagree.

I think they defend horribly. Live by the sword or die by it, I say. Play like the freewheeling chaos merchants you are and see what happens, because getting into a 2-1 game with Czechia is even more dangerous, in my opinion.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Nice to see Clarke score, but cmon...he can't be playing that much given his performance so far. Ostapchuk and Gaucher have been my favourite duo to watch, they're both so high energy and always giving it, it's awesome.

And I don't understand why Korchinski gets basically no looks while Clarke is out there every 2nd shift.

Reactions: jj cale

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Nice to see Clarke score, but cmon...he can't be playing that much given his performance so far. Ostapchuk and Gaucher have been my favourite duo to watch, they're both so high energy and always giving it, it's awesome.

And I don't understand why Korchinski gets basically no looks while Clarke is out there every 2nd shift.
I thought that after the Slovakia game, but Korchinski struggled a lot early in the semi final in my opinion. I don't love Clarke by any stretch but I could see what they were thinking against USA.

Where's that pecno guy that kept bashing team Canada and pumping team USA?

Being torn after he was wrong about Beck being a lock but correct about making the team. Also torn about being right about Canada's defence struggling to defend speed however not looking good after the USA defence got smoked for key stretches of the last game with their size/strength being a problem. A real monkey's paw.

It's all the funnier because Beck looked great yesterday and you know he'd love to talk that up.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Agreed.

Those two forwards are exactly what TC needs. I also can't remember them taking a lot of stupid penalties, even though Gaucher plays right up to the edge. Also like Bankier, in a low key sort of way.

I don't know if Fantilli has turned a corner, or if he just got lucky last night. He looked vg.

I don't know why Dean continues to get playing time. Him telling the ref that he was "going for the puck" after swinging his stick into a guys head and getting yet another penalty speaks volumes about his lack of common sense.

At this point, the only thing that can beat the Canadians is themselves. i thought they were lucky not get called for more penalties last night. They were very physical, but i've noticed that juniors tend to get all amped up, and try to outdo each other with heavy hits, often at the expense of discipline. If they get a ref who is calling things tighter, and/or Milic/Bedard has an off game, they might lose.

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

Torts

Aug 21, 2009
Ontario
I thought Fantilli had a great game today and Ostapchuk is having a great tournament and should be playing more/moved up in the lineup. Beck should have made it over a lot of the others.

Guys that need to play more:
Fantilli
Ostapchuk
Beck
Hinds

Guys that need to play less:
Guenther
Clarke (Hinds should play with Zellweger on the first pairing)

Zellweger plays with Del Mastro.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
The one thing on my wish list for tonight's game, aside from a Canadian win, is a better ice surface. I've never seen a game, at this level of competition, where so many players had pucks bounce over their sticks, mishandled pucks or passes, or simply fall inexplicably. The relegation game between Latvia and Austria should have been played in Moncton, so not having that third game on the Halifax surface should help.

As to the game, aside from what's already been said about Milic, I like the way Williams deployed the bottom 6 forwards last night, and I really like the way they responded. I thought Fantilli had a great game - easily his best game - and I thought Gaucher and Ostapchuk were noticeable, in a good way, throughout the game. Dean obviously made the nice play on the Fantilli goal, but I'd still like to see a more disciplined approach from him. Beck and Bankier were quite good in their limited ice time. On defense, I'd like to see better puck handling and outlet passes from Allan and Hinds. Allan, in particular, was quite bad last night. Del Mastro made some defensive mistakes, here and there, but more than made up for it with his pass on the Bedard goal and steady play overall. Clarke and Zelwegger are what they are, and we need them at their best tonight.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Realistically Canada is the favourite tonight but the team is very up and down, from game to game or even period to period. The depth lines will be key for Canada. We know that Stankoven's line will be dangerous and Wright's line should at least play well defensively. If Gaucher and Ostapchuk can be physically dominant again and Beck/Fantilli play as they did last night then Canada should be able to wear the Czechs down. The defence is going to make mistakes with puck management but it will be critical for Zellweger to have another good game.

Canada is where it should be with its roster and the other rosters in the tournament. Just have to beat one last solid team and win the gold. Bedard has put on a show for everyone with the greatest 17 year old performance in the tournament's history but it will take a good team effort to win. The Czechs are good and I do not expect an easy game.

Reactions: jj cale

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Czechia amazed me in the tournament. They've played so well as a team and exceed everyone's expectations.

Having said that, I can't imagine them beating Canada twice. But, if they did, I wouldn't lose any sleep over it because they are such a likable team.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Must say, I'm very much regretting not pouncing on some (expensive) gold medal game tickets after the group stage. My father and I have gone to two WJC tournaments and seen Canada play (and lose) two gold medal games. Tournament is within driving distance and seeing people from home drunk in the crowd on TSN has me filled with regret. Will be looking at the secondary market.
Hmmm.... Maybe you should stay away. You sound like bad luck! :sarcasm:

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I disagree.

I think they defend horribly. Live by the sword or die by it, I say. Play like the freewheeling chaos merchants you are and see what happens, because getting into a 2-1 game with Czechia is even more dangerous, in my opinion.
"Freewheeling chaos merchants" is the best description of this team I've heard yet. You have to admit, they sure put on an entertaining show. We believe we can beat anybody in a game of pond hockey and that may well be the case.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Hmmm.... Maybe you should stay away. You sound like bad luck! :sarcasm:
Couldn't make it this time, so they have a chance. I am visible several times on the broadcast of Canada self-destructing against Russia in 2011, so there's that.

• Haha
Reactions: Statsy

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Canada played well up front and in goal. On the back end, not so much. To our credit, we were opportunistic.

How many games have we lost over the years where we dominated but couldn't score, while the other team buried their chances? Too many to count. Tonight, we were the opportunistic ones.

Both disallowed goals were called correctly.

Czechia is a terrific team and they seem to have destiny on their side. We, on the other hand, have the better team, home ice and the revenge factor.

I hope it's a great game!
Not taking anything away from Canada's win, but I think the first disallowed goal was probably the wrong call, but I agree with you that they got the second one right.

Ironically if the first challenge was lost they wouldn't have been able to challenge the second one. That first no-goal call was a 2 goal swing lol.

I'll be rooting for you guys tonight. If Milic plays like he did last night I'm predicting a blowout. That was one of the best goaltending performances I can recall in a Canada - USA elimination game. He saved at least 2-3 sure goals in the 2nd and 3rd periods. But perhaps more impressive was his rebound control. He was the Velcro man.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Not taking anything away from Canada's win, but I think the first disallowed goal was probably the wrong call, but I agree with you that they got the second one right.

Ironically if the first challenge was lost they wouldn't have been able to challenge the second one. That first no-goal call was a 2 goal swing lol.

I'll be rooting for you guys tonight. If Milic plays like he did last night I'm predicting a blowout. That was one of the best goaltending performances I can recall in a Canada - USA elimination game. He saved at least 2-3 sure goals in the 2nd and 3rd periods. But perhaps more impressive was his rebound control. He was the Velcro man.
You're a great poster, @WhiskeyYerTheDevils, so I won't argue. :)

I will miss this tournament after tonight - like I always do after the first week of January. It's a treat / blessing every year.

Good luck against Sweden.

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I was wondering about Milic's chances of taking Top Goaltender or an All-Star berth, and thinking it was a long shot, but with Lindbom and Augustine both getting absolutely destroyed in the BMG, I think he's got a real chance now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00