WJC: 2023 Team Canada Roster Talk Part 2

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The two disallowed USA goals are very different cases. The second one was obvious and would have been disallowed anywhere, and anyone who complains about it is excessively bitter at best. The only issue is why they even allowed it in the first place before the review. The first one seems like the right call by IIHF rules and how the IIHF calls things. The thing is that the IIHF rulebook generally sucks when it comes to differences with the NHL rulebook, and the way the IIHF calls things is obviously worse than how things are called in the NHL. That's always been the case and every team gets hit from time to time, Canada and USA more than most for stylistic reasons. Basically I would say that the first disallowed USA goal was correctly called off according to the rules of the IIHF and how those rules are enforced, but in terms of the spirit of the sport and how things should be called it should have been left as it was. I can understand people disliking it, general people I've seen thought it was a greasy but legal goal and even the Canadian media (TSN, NHL Network radio) seems pretty consistent in not liking the call. Always remember that the IIHF does stupid things and as bad as the NHL can be in terms of reffing and rules, it is superior to the IIHF year after year.

Anyway, that doesn't matter. On to the gold medal game.

Reactions: Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I have NO idea what to think of tonight's game.

Part of me thinks Canada will finally gel and we'll win going away.

Part of me think Czachia will back check us into the stone age.

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Strong period for Canada.

The D did a wonderful job of clearing the puck.

Fantilli needs to shoot.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Slow and steady wins the race... Or, at least, it better.

Canada playing a strong steady game and taking NO chances.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Hockey god's, boys. Czechia going to win this - even things out for the miracle in August.

It is what it is. Congrats Czechia.

• Wow
Reactions: D0ctorCool

yessir29292

Dec 11, 2021
Loved what they did with Fantilli in OT. Play him with Wright and a sound D man (Hinds and DelMastro for his two shifts). Allowed them to have 3 lines to play in OT. Thought he was gonna end it.

Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Loved what they did with Fantilli in OT. Play him with Wright and a sound D man (Hinds and DelMastro for his two shifts). Allowed them to have 3 lines to play in OT. Thought he was gonna end it.
Me too.

I could hear them say, "While Connor Bedard got all the headlines and records, it was another 18 year phenom who won it for Canada."

Reactions: yessir29292

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
So some post WJC CHL Trades that I belive will be going down soon.

Shane Wright will be traded to the Barrie Colts

Owen Beck will be traded to the Peterborough Petes

Olen Zellweger will be traded to the Kamloops Blazers

Ethan Del Mastro will be traded to the Sarnia Sting

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Was great to win. TSN and Tardif mentioned this often but this sort of tournament, even if Canada has lost, was what the tournament needed. I'm not going to dwell on the negative things at the moment but there has been a lot of bullshit surrounding this tournament for a few years and Hockey Canada in particular. TSN took its head out of its ass and did a proper job broadcasting the tournament and Hockey Canada also acted reasonably for a change with tickets. Halifax and Moncton by all accounts did a great job - the arenas were full to record degrees and people were thrilled to have the tournament. This was a big deal in Nova Scotia, and I'm sure New Brunswick as well, in a way that it cannot be in NHL cities. I do not expect every WJC in Canada to be in a large junior hockey city, but I do hope that a lesson was learned with this tournament compared to the other recent Canadian tournaments.

This Canadian team was at the very least exciting given its offensive firepower and defensive... play. It was overhyped at the beginning but settled in as a good team that could score goals in bunches and always played in a fairly loose manner. It was not Canada's best hockey but it was memorable. At the very least the Slovakia game will be replayed on TSN in years to come.

As always the players deserve the bulk of the credit. The NHL loaned forwards, Wright and Guenther, took a lot of flak but they at the very least always provided a respectable effort, including defensively, and were critical in the gold medal game. I the end Canada loses without them. I really like Othmann's throwback game, from the big hits to the yapping at the other teams, and think that Canada needs more players of that type going forward. Stankoven carried over his great play from the summer tournament. Roy is a memorable WJC player to me for his calmness with the puck, surprising versatility, and how he kept pushing his way up the lineup both years. When it was time to make a critical pass in the overtime of the gold medal game there is no player I would have preferred to have the puck. Gaucher and Ostapchuk were both fast and physical players who caused problems with their size and speed in each game and were consistently an effective line for Canada. Both could be good NHLers if their hands can improve. I liked Dean's doggedness and consider his play underrated. Fantilli deserves credit for completely buying in when he was moved down to the fourth line. Not every young star can be moved to the fourth line (think MacKinnon in 2013) and still make a difference, but Fantilli did. Beck, the lock himself, also deserves credit for coming in so late and looking as if he had been there all along. Not much to say about Bedard, he put up the best ever performance for a player of his age and the most memorable performance by a Canadian at the WJC.

The maligned Canadian defence did have some high points. Zellweger wasn't as good as he was in the summer, but he was a reliable puck carrier on a team that needed it and overall has had a very successful WJC career. Clarke was very frustrating most of the time due to the decisions he made, but the fearlessness that sometimes led to stupid decisions was an asset in the gold medal overtime. He, along with the other NHLers, was critical in that game. Del Mastro was the best of Canada's big but relatively slow defencemen and deserved the big minutes that he received. Hinds was the biggest surprise on the team for me, just a good all around defenceman who was at least good at everything and bad at nothing. Finally, Milic is yet another in the line of recent Canadian goaltenders who are not big names but provide good enough goaltending at the WJC. Canada still needs to improve goaltender development. You'd hope that he gets drafted this year.

Anyway, after a successful tournament it is on to 2024 and hopefully another gold.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Was great to win. TSN and Tardif mentioned this often but this sort of tournament, even if Canada has lost, was what the tournament needed. I'm not going to dwell on the negative things at the moment but there has been a lot of bullshit surrounding this tournament for a few years and Hockey Canada in particular. TSN took its head out of its ass and did a proper job broadcasting the tournament and Hockey Canada also acted reasonably for a change with tickets. Halifax and Moncton by all accounts did a great job - the arenas were full to record degrees and people were thrilled to have the tournament. This was a big deal in Nova Scotia, and I'm sure New Brunswick as well, in a way that it cannot be in NHL cities. I do not expect every WJC in Canada to be in a large junior hockey city, but I do hope that a lesson was learned with this tournament compared to the other recent Canadian tournaments.

This Canadian team was at the very least exciting given its offensive firepower and defensive... play. It was overhyped at the beginning but settled in as a good team that could score goals in bunches and always played in a fairly loose manner. It was not Canada's best hockey but it was memorable. At the very least the Slovakia game will be replayed on TSN in years to come.

As always the players deserve the bulk of the credit. The NHL loaned forwards, Wright and Guenther, took a lot of flak but they at the very least always provided a respectable effort, including defensively, and were critical in the gold medal game. I the end Canada loses without them. I really like Othmann's throwback game, from the big hits to the yapping at the other teams, and think that Canada needs more players of that type going forward. Stankoven carried over his great play from the summer tournament. Roy is a memorable WJC player to me for his calmness with the puck, surprising versatility, and how he kept pushing his way up the lineup both years. When it was time to make a critical pass in the overtime of the gold medal game there is no player I would have preferred to have the puck. Gaucher and Ostapchuk were both fast and physical players who caused problems with their size and speed in each game and were consistently an effective line for Canada. Both could be good NHLers if their hands can improve. I liked Dean's doggedness and consider his play underrated. Fantilli deserves credit for completely buying in when he was moved down to the fourth line. Not every young star can be moved to the fourth line (think MacKinnon in 2013) and still make a difference, but Fantilli did. Beck, the lock himself, also deserves credit for coming in so late and looking as if he had been there all along. Not much to say about Bedard, he put up the best ever performance for a player of his age and the most memorable performance by a Canadian at the WJC.

The maligned Canadian defence did have some high points. Zellweger wasn't as good as he was in the summer, but he was a reliable puck carrier on a team that needed it and overall has had a very successful WJC career. Clarke was very frustrating most of the time due to the decisions he made, but the fearlessness that sometimes led to stupid decisions was an asset in the gold medal overtime. He, along with the other NHLers, was critical in that game. Del Mastro was the best of Canada's big but relatively slow defencemen and deserved the big minutes that he received. Hinds was the biggest surprise on the team for me, just a good all around defenceman who was at least good at everything and bad at nothing. Finally, Milic is yet another in the line of recent Canadian goaltenders who are not big names but provide good enough goaltending at the WJC. Canada still needs to improve goaltender development. You'd hope that he gets drafted this year.

Anyway, after a successful tournament it is on to 2024 and hopefully another gold.

Heave away, me jolly boys, we're all bound away!

Halifax and Moncton were awesome! best tourney in a decade... maybe more!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad