WJC: 2023 Team Canada Roster Talk Part 2

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Credit to Stéphane Julien, he is running the power play and would be my choice for head coach next year with how well he did in the summer with perhaps the strongest Hlinka team ever. As for Shane Wright, as I’ve mentioned before, I’m not so concerned if he produces tonight offensively, but defensively I imagine he’s going to get the matchup against the top American line and hopefully he’s up to the task
Yeah of course the main goal is to win, but that line should be talented enough to put up points at even strength. Defensively I have no problem with them outside of the second period on against Slovakia when things got messy.

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
We've been treated as Canada fans to the Bedard Show this entire tourney, and no doubt he will have a major impact on this game, but I am more interested who is going to be the player(s) and/or line to step up now and get the job done.

I think @JackSlater mentioned it earlier, and I couldn't agree more, no score-line is going to blow me away tonight. Everything is on the table. I think both teams have shown flashes of brilliance in this tournament while also leaving some aspects of their game to be less than desired.

The clash of styles in this game is quite fascinating. I think the USA is going to be looking to utilize their mobile defenders, play a possession based style, and try to control the puck away from Canada as much as possible. On the flip side, we have seen flashes in the tournament for stretches of play, but I think this the game where Canada gets back to the recipe what has afforded them great success in these tournaments in the past. Fast tempo, toeing that line with the physical play, pucks in deep and working the cycle.

I've been critical of Shane Wright and his offensive game this tournament, especially last game against Slovakia which quite simply was his worst game. However, if he can turn a defensive effort against the Cooley line tonight where he takes away the USA's best offensive line, I think that would be just what the doctor ordered.

I look for Canada's depth, mainly players like Gaucher, Ostapchuk, etc. to be difference makers tonight. I think the depth can really shine through in a match-up like this and those guys are going to be vital establishing the right kind of play tonight for Canada.

Canada vs. USA is always a treat. Enjoy the game, boys and girls.

I can't wait.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Just chiming in to say I love how Canada sticks to its guns at this tournament and keeps players to wearing numbers 1-31 only. It's a reminder about playing for the name on the front, not the name on the back. If players want to show individual style, they can do it like Bedard did the other night and dance the pants off the opposition.

Reactions: ORRFForever

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
We've been treated as Canada fans to the Bedard Show this entire tourney, and no doubt he will have a major impact on this game, but I am more interested who is going to be the player(s) and/or line to step up now and get the job done.

I think @JackSlater mentioned it earlier, and I couldn't agree more, no score-line is going to blow me away tonight. Everything is on the table. I think both teams have shown flashes of brilliance in this tournament while also leaving some aspects of their game to be less than desired.

The clash of styles in this game is quite fascinating. I think the USA is going to be looking to utilize their mobile defenders, play a possession based style, and try to control the puck away from Canada as much as possible. On the flip side, we have seen flashes in the tournament for stretches of play, but I think this the game where Canada gets back to the recipe what has afforded them great success in these tournaments in the past. Fast tempo, toeing that line with the physical play, pucks in deep and working the cycle.

I've been critical of Shane Wright and his offensive game this tournament, especially last game against Slovakia which quite simply was his worst game. However, if he can turn a defensive effort against the Cooley line tonight where he takes away the USA's best offensive line, I think that would be just what the doctor ordered.

I look for Canada's depth, mainly players like Gaucher, Ostapchuk, etc. to be difference makers tonight. I think the depth can really shine through in a match-up like this and those guys are going to be vital establishing the right kind of play tonight for Canada.

Canada vs. USA is always a treat. Enjoy the game, boys and girls.

I can't wait.
Well said.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Off topic question but do we know where the 2025 WHC will be held? I know 2024 is in Sweden

2025 back in Canada. Let's hope they continue in junior cities. put the NHL arenas on ice for a decade.

2026 in the US. Let's hope they have the courage to put it somewhere not on the Canadian border.

Reactions: Rob and ORRFForever

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Off topic question but do we know where the 2025 WHC will be held? I know 2024 is in Sweden

Actually I was mistaken on hosting rights. apparently in 2025 the tournament is the USA and 2026 is Canada. but stay tuned. that could change.

Reactions: Rob

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
2025 back in Canada. Let's hope they continue in junior cities. put the NHL arenas on ice for a decade.

2026 in the US. Let's hope they have the courage to put it somewhere not on the Canadian border.

Nobody would show up. We need the Canadians coming over for at least the medal games.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

No sure what courage has to do with it. USA Hockey and the IIHF don't want to take a bath here so it's unlikely it will be hosted in a location that doesn't have some cross-border potential.

GM Armchair

Dec 16, 2019
If the lines are the same as before I don’t have any hope for Canada beating USA today.

Edit: just saw the line combinations…. f***

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr Buckles

Hamilton Bulldogs

Jan 11, 2022
Could you post them please, can't seem to find them.
1672872957794.jpeg

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Bedard has definitely had his carry pants on so far this tourney but the whole team showed up against the US. Proud of the boys.

Now go get this gold and some revenge on the Czechiako Republic

Last edited:
Reactions: Statsy and jj cale

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Bedard has definitely had his carry pants on so far this tourney but the whole team showed up against the US. Proud of the boys.

Now go get this gold and some revenge on Czechiakoslovakia Republic
True, but the momentum didn't shift until Bedard's goal.

Bedard went for the no nonsense crash the net approach, and made the USA defense look soft as better.

Once Bedard drew blood, it was game over.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $40.00