Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Smart move. Keeps player interested. Helps team by not being locked up longtime if something should happen. Player can resign again.
IMO Matthews Marner Tavares Nylander are hurting the leafs with their poor post season play and cap hit.

The leafs need to find a away to bring in character dudes with skill. Especially on D. I still say they needed to trade one of Matthews or Marner "long ago" to improve the overall team. Marner makes the most sense, however, I'm not sold on Matthews. Something about him that doesn't look right, especially when it matters most.

Immediately after the Tavares signing, I knew the leafs were in trouble. It led to a bunch of bad contracts.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Lysell making the roster out of camp and putting together a modest 20 goal/40 point rookie campaign would be great news for the team now and moving forward. Using last year as a comparison, that would put him tied for 4th in goals/5th in points for rookie forwards which seems reasonable for a kid with his skillset if he can handle the 82 game NHL grind. That would allow Marchand to move back to the 1st line with Pasta and Debrusk to go back to his natural left wing.

Marchand -- Zacha -- Pasta

DeBrusk -- Geekie -- Lysell

Frederic -- Coyle -- JVR

Lucic -- Brown -- Lauko
Are you really expecting "a modest" 20 goals out of Lysell as a rookie?

I'd be over-the-moon ecstatic, not to mention totally yet pleasantly shocked if Lysell ever scores 20 goals in ANY one NHL season.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Are you really expecting "a modest" 20 goals out of Lysell as a rookie?

I'd be over-the-moon ecstatic, not to mention totally yet pleasantly shocked if Lysell ever scores 20 goals in ANY one NHL season.

Expecting? No. I'm saying it would be great for the Bruins if he did and it's production totals that aren't completely out of reach for a rookie of his skill/speed and it's in line with the top 5 of last year's rookie class.

Reactions: Roll 4 Lines

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I am probably higher on TF than most. Does he have his warts, yup, consistency has been an issue, however he has improved every year and popped 17 goals without PP time and reduced minutes. He actually has a decent shot when he can get it off. How many fourth liners have 17 goal years? Not many, surprisingly he may end up a wing on the second line if no rookies are ready and JVR doesn’t impress
Fredric might just secretly be a top 6 player. I like him a lot.

Reactions: mar2kbos and hrdpuk

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Though I think the best version of Frederic is a hybrid of Coyle and Lucic. I expect him to lean more towards Coyle; responsible, reliable and loaded with responsibilities that limit offensive production but increase his value to the team. All this while being more physical then Coyle has been.

(Edited). After thinking this through again I’d say Backes is the real target here. If he becomes a poor man’s Backes then I will be happy. I think he can.

On another note.

For my money, if Lysell plays for the Bruins, I would prefer it to be later in the season then earlier. I don't think there is any way in hell you get a productive 82 games out of him, so unless he comes to camp on fire then let him simmer. I get the sense the slow start to his training post concussion makes this a pretty straight forward decision come camp time.

Play without the puck at dev camp was noted by many, and not in a complimentary way.

His value has decreased over the past year for various reasons.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario

If Calgary Flames center Elias Lindholm is still available on the NHL trade market next month, an NHL source tells Boston Hockey Now, the Boston Bruins are expected to be in on him again.

“If Lindholm’s available next month, Bruins will circle back,” the trusted source told BHN on Thursday. “I think that was kind of the understanding with any interested team, but I know some are wondering if the Flames will sign him before camp now.”

Shroud of Orrin

Come on, Bob
Apr 29, 2020
Haligonia
As much as I’d love to have him, it was Calgary who rescued Lindholm’s career when he and Hanifin were dealt for Hamilton. From that moment forward he became the player he is today. My guess he resigns for 5 or 6 years in Calgary and calls it a career. The coaching staff rolling over may be the reason he and Backlund stay. I don’t buy the argument Calgary is a terrible city. It’s no different than Denver (for example) and taxes are better than any other province. He gets to play with Huberdeau and that could be a lot worse elsewhere. I say it’s BS he was never even close to our radar.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
As much as I’d love to have him, it was Calgary who rescued Lindholm’s career when he and Hanifin were dealt for Hamilton. From that moment forward he became the player he is today. My guess he resigns for 5 or 6 years in Calgary and calls it a career. The coaching staff rolling over may be the reason he and Backlund stay. I don’t buy the argument Calgary is a terrible city. It’s no different than Denver (for example) and taxes are better than any other province. He gets to play with Huberdeau and that could be a lot worse elsewhere. I say it’s BS he was never even close to our radar.
It’s not that Calgary is a terrible city it’s that the Saddledome and the other hockey facilities are absolutely horrible. Like below almost all D1 colleges.

27D1BEE7-2FDE-4C9C-950C-856C70DC6D80.jpeg

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
A lot of arguments that Freddy only hit 17 because of Hall on his line....it makes me ponder how many goals can he hit with a couple guys like Debrusk/Marchand or Zacha/Pasta on his line? 20? 25?
This is the whole point. For the first time in a long time the Bruins are able to put some young kids in a position to succeed.

Debrusk is a perfect example of that. Before playing with Bergeron and Marchand people wanted to get a 3rd round pick for him.

Give Freddy a shot and put him with a zacha Pasta for 20 games and see what you get.

Kids need to grow and elevate their game.

M

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
This is the whole point. For the first time in a long time the Bruins are able to put some young kids in a position to succeed.

Debrusk is a perfect example of that. Before playing with Bergeron and Marchand people wanted to get a 3rd round pick for him.

Give Freddy a shot and put him with a zacha Pasta for 20 games and see what you get.

Kids need to grow and elevate their game.

M
I think if he plays a smart and simple game he could be a nice complementary piece for one of those lines....wouldn't be my first choice but an intriguing option nonetheless.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Mad Dr Pepper

Jun 28, 2015
Quebec
Just a thought I had driving home. I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign Toews just before the deadline. Seems like the kind of player they like.

Leadership, old, way past their prime, damaged goods and is a center.

I mean, what's not to like? ;)

Reactions: Over the volcano

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Just a thought I had driving home. I wouldn't be surprised to see us sign Toews just before the deadline. Seems like the kind of player they like.

Leadership, old, way past their prime, damaged goods and is a center.

I mean, what's not to like? ;)
2:00 min mark

“Yeah, the center position certainly an area of focus for the Boston Bruins. They don’t have a ton of cap space and I believe there were discussions, at least tire-kicking anyway, earlier on in the summer with respect to Scheifele and Boston’s GM Don Sweeney trying to see what that price tag is.

I don’t know necessarily if they’re really poised to start the season with (Charlie) Coyle and (Pavel) Zacha at the one-two slot up the middle. Can they afford, look at different options. Is it going to be a guy like Scheifele? Do they look at Calgary and see what happens with Elias Lindholm and Mikael Backlund? Are on of those pieces potential fits for the Boston Bruins if they can’t agree to an extension with the Calgary Flames?

They’re going to be looking at options and seeing what’s out there.

The other name I’ll throw out as a potential option, and we’re not like to know really his future until we get closer to training camp, that’s Jonathan Toews (recorded just before Toews made his Instagram post and the report of him taking this year off). He wants to make sure he’s healthy. He wants to make sure he’s ready to go. He’s like to play a little bit more. But the Boston Bruins are a team that has been on Toews’ radar going back to last season. Prior to when he made it known that he wasn’t going to be able to play for another team. He wanted to focus on his health rather. The Boston Bruins were a team that were interested in Jonathan Toews. I believe there’s mutual interest. But again, priority is number one for him, is his health, and then go from there.

So Boston is certainly going to look at their options. Toews could be one of them, but also whether it’s Scheifele, Backlund or another potential center, Don Sweeney has his work cut out for him over these next few weeks leading into camp. But he’s going to be looking.”

Reactions: Mad Dr Pepper
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad