Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Debrusk's point totals this year if you project it over 82 games : 35 G, 29 A, 64P
Hagel in 81 games this year: 30G, 34A, 64P

Debrusk also has much better defensive metrics. I think this deal sets Debrusk's floor, not lowers it.

The big difference is that Hagel actually played the games and debrusks is only projections.

Projections don’t really mean shit when you miss an average of ~15 games a year.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
That will be interesting to observe.

If anyone can bring out the best in Frederic, Milan would be one of them.

We'll see how Frederic does this season. We're going to learn everything we need to know. Finally.

No excuses.

What excuses? I hope we get a repeat of a 17 goal player under a good contract. Are you going to be judging his fighting skills?

Are you expecting him to put the team on his back? Not sure I follow.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
what narrative, they still lost basically 3 top 6 players. Did they not? Krejci, Bergeron, and Bertuzzi, and yeah he didnt play the full year but he certainly is going to be better than JVR. Hall would have been a second liner on most teams, they just had a stacked squad that is now taking the hits for it. Marchand is also one year closer to retirement on surgical repaired hips. He slowed way down by end of year and you had to have seen his stops, starts and curls which was his biggest asset affected. He has also lost his centerman for the last decade and a half. Definitely something to keep an eye on.

"Zacha and Coyle played two games as top 6 centers in the playoffs and the won they are going to be good replacements" all of a sudden. Heard that narrative floated around too with basically little sample size. The offensive depth on this team is now in question. You have a player who has been tried as a top 6 center briefly before being replaced, and a player that is about to start his first full year as a center for them as well. Then you need at least one of the newbies/rookie to handle top 6 role. That's a lot to ask for and they cant absorb failures really.

I am hopeful these guys can do it, but I wouldnt put any money on all of it working out.
What the hell are you talking about , all I said I thought that he did not play that many games with Krecji and Pasta...........I have been very critical about losing Hall and say so repeatedly ........ I get the concern over the center position , but I just want to see the kids get a shot so you can a true idea of I what way this team needs to move . The Center position was something that we all knew was going to be a problem at some point and should have been addressed long a go, in my opinion they never should have taken Krecji back when he left , not a knock on his play but all that did was kicked the can down the road and now he is gone again . I want see what Zacha can do have always liked the move getting him for Haula and I know that I am in the minority but I feel he might be a surprise .......there I said it here first ..............you can bust balls when the time comes.....

The big difference is that Hagel actually played the games and debrusks is only projections.

Projections don’t really mean shit when you miss an average of ~15 games a year.
You are right they are only projections but be honest how many times have you used projections in your HOF career..........

Reactions: GordonHowe

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
You are right they are only projections but be honest how many times have you used projections in your HOF career..........

I’m just saying it’s a stark contrast between projections and reality.

For instance those projections had him at

35 goals 29 assists and 64 points.

Yet his career highs are 27g 23a 50 points.

In his career over an 82 game season he averages

67gp 20g 19a 39p.

Projections are nice, but they aren’t reality. Hopefully we can see a healthy Jake Debrusk because he’s missing almost 20% of the season on average. The Bruins need him healthy.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
What the hell are you talking about , all I said I thought that he did not play that many games with Krecji and Pasta...........I have been very critical about losing Hall and say so repeatedly ........ I get the concern over the center position , but I just want to see the kids get a shot so you can a true idea of I what way this team needs to move . The Center position was something that we all knew was going to be a problem at some point and should have been addressed long a go, in my opinion they never should have taken Krecji back when he left , not a knock on his play but all that did was kicked the can down the road and now he is gone again . I want see what Zacha can do have always liked the move getting him for Haula and I know that I am in the minority but I feel he might be a surprise .......there I said it here first ..............you can bust balls when the time comes.....

You basically said that people are creating narratives , and the point I was making is you dont lose as much as the Bruins have in their forward corps without feeling the pain. Downplaying these losses regardless of where they played, or only played 15 games or so in Bertuzzi's case is just picking at bones. The losses of those guys puts more pressure on everyone else left since we didnt really add any adequate replacements, but gambles.

what kids though? There is none that are taking a top 6 role yet, and I am betting not one breaks camp. Lauko probably is the only young guy that will make it but that shouldnt be a surprise. That is why Sweeney signed a bunch of 1 yr guys. It really isnt about giving kids a chance more than it is placing safer bets that these one year guys put together a good enough season and get them into the playoffs. My guess he is just trying to get through this year and hopefully have more cap space to grab what he needs next off season. Barring trades the cupboard is going to be dry until at least 2026 and beyond for prospects. as they will still be feeling the go all in pain into those years. His only real option is building through FAs for the time being.

Zacha may surprise, you hope he would with Pasta most likely riding shotgun. Coyle I think is going to be the mistake. He just doesnt have enough offensive awareness and him and Debrusk I am not sure is going to work well together. My guess is we are going to be a one line team with Marchand-Zacha-Pasta being the top line and the rest of the lines will be jumbling all season.

Reactions: Gordoff

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
That will be interesting to observe.

If anyone can bring out the best in Frederic, Milan would be one of them.

We'll see how Frederic does this season. We're going to learn everything we need to know. Finally.

No excuses.
I disagree mostly. Milan might help with matters related to how to apply "the code" but he will not help TF read plays or make passes.

Reactions: BMC and GordonHowe

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I agree. I think Coyle is or has become Frederic’s mentor, what Frederic wants to become.

Folks need to stop trying to put Frederic in the Lucic box.

In Lucic's interview after signing, he specifically mentioned Frederic as a player Sweeney singled out that Lucic could take under his wing, so I think that's why people are talking about it.

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I agree. I think Coyle is or has become Frederic’s mentor, what Frederic wants to become.

Folks need to stop trying to put Frederic in the Lucic box.
Though I think the best version of Frederic is a hybrid of Coyle and Lucic. I expect him to lean more towards Coyle; responsible, reliable and loaded with responsibilities that limit offensive production but increase his value to the team. All this while being more physical then Coyle has been.

(Edited). After thinking this through again I’d say Backes is the real target here. If he becomes a poor man’s Backes then I will be happy. I think he can.

On another note.

For my money, if Lysell plays for the Bruins, I would prefer it to be later in the season then earlier. I don't think there is any way in hell you get a productive 82 games out of him, so unless he comes to camp on fire then let him simmer. I get the sense the slow start to his training post concussion makes this a pretty straight forward decision come camp time.

Last edited:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Though I think the best version of Frederic is a hybrid of Coyle and Lucic. I expect him to lean more towards Coyle; responsible, reliable and loaded with responsibilities that limit offensive production but increase his value to the team. All this while being more physical then Coyle has been.

On another note.

For my money, if Lysell plays for the Bruins, I would prefer it to be later in the season then earlier. I don't think there is any way in hell you get a productive 82 games out of him, so unless he comes to camp on fire then let him simmer. I get the sense the slow start to his training post concussion makes this a pretty straight forward decision come camp time.

Lysell making the roster out of camp and putting together a modest 20 goal/40 point rookie campaign would be great news for the team now and moving forward. Using last year as a comparison, that would put him tied for 4th in goals/5th in points for rookie forwards which seems reasonable for a kid with his skillset if he can handle the 82 game NHL grind. That would allow Marchand to move back to the 1st line with Pasta and Debrusk to go back to his natural left wing.

Marchand -- Zacha -- Pasta

DeBrusk -- Geekie -- Lysell

Frederic -- Coyle -- JVR

Lucic -- Brown -- Lauko

Reactions: HustleB and Gordoff

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Lysell making the roster out of camp and putting together a modest 20 goal/40 point rookie campaign would be great news for the team now and moving forward. Using last year as a comparison, that would put him tied for 4th in goals/5th in points for rookie forwards which seems reasonable for a kid with his skillset if he can handle the 82 game NHL grind. That would allow Marchand to move back to the 1st line with Pasta and Debrusk to go back to his natural left wing.

Frederic -- Coyle -- JVR

Lucic -- Brown -- Lauko
I do not want to be a one line team ,been there before . Keep Marchand with DeBrusk , Zacha with Pasta ............You have no mention of Boqvist..........

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
I do not want to be a one line team ,been there before . Keep Marchand with DeBrusk , Zacha with Pasta ............You have no mention of Boqvist..........

Boqvist in that lineup would be coming off the bench. I'd rather give the chance to make the starting lineup to Lauko, as he offers a little more jam and tenacity on the forecheck. But Boqvist might end up being better, who knows. It's all just talk at the moment until we see what we actually have out there.

I'm banking on Geekie showing his offensive potential here with DeBrusk and hitting 50ish points. He needs to show he's reliable enough for 2nd line duty obviously, so this is me projecting/hoping a bit. If Lysell makes the lineup, it changes things. I want him in offensive situations, like Geekie which means putting him on a more offensive minded line. I don't see the value of putting younger players with offensive potential on the third line, especially now with this year being the perfect opportunity to let some of these younger players showcase what they've got playing with established scorers. The Bruins need some of these younger players to step up.

Reactions: Bodit9 and Gordoff

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle

Frederic -- Coyle -- JVR

Lucic -- Brown -- Lauko
I mean it looks good. My problem is that he tailed off last year and I believe smaller players need to progress more cautiously. They need to focus on learning to protect themselves almost as much as they focus on developing skills.

If we can let him play half a season or even 20 games really playing at a higher level in Providence I believe it would be greatly beneficial for his career. Even though I expect Lysell to make it, I wouldn’t be shocked if he’s a full year away. It seems that would be far more likely then an 82 game season from him. Especially if you presumably want him to be strong headed into a potential playoff birth.

Separately, I love those lines maybe Merkulov slides into the top 6 over Lysell in my perfect outcome. I’d als basically have Coyle/Geekie because I value Coyle over Geekie but think the centers might play more to chemistry and depth rather then simply C1, C2, C3. Coyle will play top 6 minutes no matter what the lineup says. Maybe top line minutes.

Reactions: PB37

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I disagree mostly. Milan might help with matters related to how to apply "the code" but he will not help TF read plays or make passes.

I'm don't believe there's much of a "code" anymore and I certainly not expecting Lucic to give "hockey sense" lessons to Frederic. Looch can help, though, simply by being who is. He's passionate, he cares, and he wants to win. If Frederic goes missing, as has been the case more often than not in his tenure here, I suspect Milan is going to let him hear it.

Maybe that's not enough for you, or others. At this point, it's enough for me. I'm not expecting much from Lucic, and I don't particularly expect him to make a project of Frederic.

My hopes are not high per TF regardless.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
I'm don't believe there's much of a "code" anymore and I certainly not expecting Lucic to give "hockey sense" lessons to Frederic. Looch can help, though, simply by being who is. He's passionate, he cares, and he wants to win. If Frederic goes missing, as has been the case more often than not in his tenure here, I suspect Milan is going to let him hear it.

Maybe that's not enough for you, or others. At this point, it's enough for me. I'm not expecting much from Lucic, and I don't particularly expect him to make a project of Frederic.

My hopes are not high per TF regardless.
I am probably higher on TF than most. Does he have his warts, yup, consistency has been an issue, however he has improved every year and popped 17 goals without PP time and reduced minutes. He actually has a decent shot when he can get it off. How many fourth liners have 17 goal years? Not many, surprisingly he may end up a wing on the second line if no rookies are ready and JVR doesn’t impress

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
Lysell won’t make this roster in camp
Yeah I had high hopes during his first training camp, but the more I watched the more you see the warts in his game. He plays all over the place and seems to disregard system structures at both ends of the ice. He also puts himself in position to get hit hard being a smaller guy. He doesn’t fix that he’ll have a similar career as Kase. He definitely has skill and speed, just the rest of his game needs a lot of work. Id like to see him top line for Providence, top PP time and contInue to see improvements. Maybe a call up if he plays well in Providence. Just don’t want him thrusted into the NHL which I think Sweeney will not do hence the 1yr dealers this off season. I think he is aware that Lysell needs more time which is good.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Leafs signed matthews
Matthews signs four-year, $53M extension to stay with Maple Leafs
Smart move. Keeps player interested. Helps team by not being locked up longtime if something should happen. Player can resign again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad