Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
At the trade deadline lindholm will get a couple firsts a roster player and an A prospect is my guess.
Probably and I hope the Bruins would not make that deal, they are so short on picks now, they should be trying to acquire them instead of dealing them away.

Reactions: Gordoff

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
F07EC6B3-2878-4C10-8712-AB34DDA48F31.jpeg

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I’m not sure why you keep bringing him up he’s over the hill bro ..

22 points last year do you not think Coyle Zacha Greekie hit that this coming year ?

Yes, I do. They could both do so, easily.

I'll even go so far as to predict that Pavel Zacha will have something of a breakout year, in which self-assurance and confidence on ice take a leap, catching up to his talent.

Book it, bro.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
The cost of getting Lindholm weakens your roster in other areas , you would need to give up young core players , sorry just not worth the price in my opinion.......
Not necessarily...if Lindholm says he would only sign with a few certain teams then the cost decreases dramatically. There is also a chance you can target him or Scheifele if they make it to FA.

I don't usually bank of players doing this but there has been a trend with those who have come from disgruntled franchises like Hall, PLD, Eichel. They want to get their next contract right and there has been obviously something going on in Calgary with multiple players requesting trades.

The cost to trade for a 29 year old UFA versus an easy top ten center in Elias Petterson at 25 years old is a substantial difference with the latter being completely unattainable for the Bruins.

Last thing, if somehow Huberdeau comes out flat again for Calgary I would look at taking him anywhere from 20-25% retained as a cap dump to reduce the cost of Lindholm. Two million on the books for the next 7 years is a lot manageable than 10.5. Bruins could use another top 6 winger and Marchand isn't getting any younger.

Marchand Lindholm Debrusk
Huberdeau Zacha Pastrnak

Filthy

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Not necessarily...if Lindholm says he would only sign with a few certain teams then the cost decreases dramatically. There is also a chance you can target him or Scheifele if they make it to FA.

I don't usually bank of players doing this but there has been a trend with those who have come from disgruntled franchises like Hall, PLD, Eichel. They want to get their next contract right and there has been obviously something going on in Calgary with multiple players requesting trades.

The cost to trade for a 29 year old UFA versus an easy top ten center in Elias Petterson at 25 years old is a substantial difference with the latter being completely unattainable for the Bruins.

Last thing, if somehow Huberdeau comes out flat again for Calgary I would look at taking him anywhere from 20-25% retained as a cap dump to reduce the cost of Lindholm. Two million on the books for the next 7 years is a lot manageable than 10.5. Bruins could use another top 6 winger and Marchand isn't getting any younger.

Huberdeau Zacha Pastrnak

Filthy
I can't imagine CGY retains 2.6m for the next 8 years and if they did I don't see how BOS could add 13m in cap.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
You go too far, sir.

Last season was an anomaly.
Going into last year I had the team at around 102 points plus or minus 6 points.
No one on the planet expected 65 wins / 135 points.

The retirement of Bergeron and as with the assumed speculation of Krejci will over the course of the season leave a significant hole. While management will plug players into the center roles you don't replace a Bergeron and to a lesser extent Krejci ... they were legitimate 1A and 1B centers. Anyone who assumes the #1c and 2c roles with be different from what we have been blessed with for the past 15 - 20 years.
Those who assume the 1c and 2c positions will have to carve out their own identity. Bruin fans are smart enough to realize that there is going to be a drop off and will temper their expectations.

Baring a trade (need to give to get) it could be a long road (years) before we are as deeply talented down the middle again. People mention Lindholm, but the question is ... after going all in last trade deadline and having to cut salary this summer, along with the retirements is Sweeney willing to further disrupt the chemistry / identity of the team. My feeling is the only way Sweeney make such a trade is if it is going to significantly improve the team.

They have a decent forward group ( Pastrnak, DeBrusk, Marchand, Zacha, Coyle ...) only lacking a legitimate number 1 center. They are as deep if not better than every team in the league on defense and in goal. The team (without significant injuries) should be a playoff team. Sweeney is probably in a holding pattern until possibly the earliest the trade deadline but most likely next summer. Unless, he is offered a trade he simply can't turn down ... which would be an anomaly.

In this particular case, with this particular need, I don't think you have to worry about disrupting the chemistry of the club.

My guess is that if they did, somehow, sign EL or even Backlund, a collective sigh of relief would the reaction from Bruins players. The need is that great.

Plus, they're finally moving beyond the Bergeron/Krejci era, which presents its own disruption and necessitates change regardless.

I'm rooting for Pavel and Charlie -- and I believe this could be a big year for Zacha -- but, it ain't enough.

They need significant help. Yes they have to see what they have in PZ and CC.

The sooner the better, however.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
In this particular case, with this particular need, I don't think you have to worry about disrupting the chemistry of the club.

My guess is that if they did, somehow, sign EL or even Backlund, a collective sigh of relief would the reaction from Bruins players. The need is that great.

Plus, they're finally moving beyond the Bergeron/Krejci era, which presents its own disruption and necessitates change regardless.

I'm rooting for Pavel and Charlie -- and I believe this could be a big year for Zacha -- but, it ain't enough.

I don’t think Backlund makes any sense. He’s not really a top 6 on a contender

Reactions: JOKER 192

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018

Huberdeau Zacha Pastrnak

Filthy
Great and what did you subtract from your roster too achieve this new roster........

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida

Next summer signing Lindholm as a FA (if he gets to that point) I agree would not disrupt chemistry. However, trading for him now or during the season potentially could. My thought is this - to get Lindholm the Bruins most likely would need to send back to Calgary roster players which would add to the already large turnover of the roster. Now, if Calgary would want prospects and whatever picks we have left that would interest them then you almost have to make that move, assuming we can clear cap space - and thus a roster player anyways would need to go somewhere. A long term injured player , should it happen, might make it possible without disruption under such circumstances.

Otherwise, I agree with your post.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Next summer signing Lindholm as a FA (if he gets to that point) I agree would not disrupt chemistry. However, trading for him now or during the season potentially could. My thought is this - to get Lindholm the Bruins most likely would need to send back to Calgary roster players which would add to the already large turnover of the roster. Now, if Calgary would want prospects and whatever picks we have left that would interest them then you almost have to make that move, assuming we can clear cap space - and thus a roster player anyways would need to go somewhere. A long term injured player , should it happen, might make it possible without disruption under such circumstances.

Otherwise, I agree with your post.
Actually, I wasn't thinking about subtractions, but the addition.

If they trade Matt or Jake, doubtless in a package with a prospect or two, you're right. That would definitely be a distraction.

And, at this point, by definition, Calgary wants roster players who can help right away. They are not looking for prospects and I rather doubt there looking for a goaltender either.

So, I guess we'll see. It will be interesting, if nothing else,

🏒🏃🔨

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
DeBrusk , Carlo , Swayman..........

They can get Lindholm without giving up any of those guys, but it would most likely involve moving Linus out in a separate deal and packing his return with gryz, Frederic and Linus’ return.

I think people will be surprised at the return the Flames get for Lindholm. Flames hold almost no leverage in that situation. It will be at a relative discount.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
I hear what you are saying. In a perfect world, the Bruins find a way to get an under 27 year old #1 center but the cost will be insane...and making every prospect available and the 2025 1st depletes the cupboard to nothing. They simply just can't afford to mortgage the future like yet.

Saying Lindholm and Scheifele do nothing is a bit extreme. Both are easily within the top 32 centers in the league. Lindholm fits the roster like a glove. He has a great hockey IQ and I think players like that tend to age well versus players who rely solely on their speed.

The goal isn't to get the youngest #1 center...as if that is the recipe for success. If that was the case, Edmonton would win every year because they have the two best centers in the league. It's about balance and piecing together a roster that gives you the best chance to win the Stanley Cup. As of now, the Bruins have two #1 defenseman, two #1 goalies, two elite first line wingers and a Jack Adams coach.

Getting Lindholm even at 30 years old would patch a massive hole and extend their window. The Blues won in 2019 with ROR, Schenn and Bozak as their centers. None of them were over a ppg in the playoffs but they had team mental toughness, a strong defensive core, great goaltending and good coaching.

This is one of the most bang on posts I've read in a while, shame you had to ruin it with that last paragraph. Most ill legit SC ever, I can't give give them credit for that, especially the coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad