Boston Bruins 2023 Off-Season CAP, Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Anybody know if the Bruins have a shot at signing John Farinacci on August 15?

He's not going to sign with AZ. Captain of Harvard, Captain at Dexter, played for the Jr Eagles. 5 goals in 7 games at the WJC..

Jay O'Brien is another one. Former 1st round pick of the Flyers, another local kid, Dexter, CC Whalers and the Youngstown connection, goes to BU now.

Maybe these guys are why Sweeney didn't sign any college free agents earlier in the year?

@Saxon Eric what say you?

Last edited:

Sevendust

Jan 11, 2010
Munich, Germany
The teams highest priority is a elite number one center but Lindholm or Scheifele do nothing for me. Both are looking for their biggest last contract and with their ages are likely to decline soon. If I would be Sweeney I would do everything to get one of Pettersson or Necas. There are rumors that Pettersson dont want to sign long term in Vancouver. He would fit the upcoming core very well and is truly elite in everything. A little bit worse but still an great player is Necas. Carolina will have some trouble with their cap so this could possibly make him avaiable. Both will be RFAs after this season but are more likely to be worth their upcoming contracts. I would make every prospect for them avaiable and one of Carlo or DeBrusk.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Not sure Sweens does anything

As someone who watched a lot of Calgary games - Sutter was Debby Downer on steroids

Anyone who’s been watching Lindholm knows he’s a perfect fit but Sweens should probably sit it out

The more I think of this I don’t want to give anything up when they can wait till next summer

Bruins in several models are picked first or second

I however being a realist and last 3 years sold them short May be doing again

I see then WC 95-100 points

Nothing wrong with that - regular season means absolutely nothing - even watching unless a big game is probsbly a waste of time

Can we also cut the jokes and open a funny thread if need be - not everyone here has seen Spinal Tap or Ace Ventura

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
The teams highest priority is a elite number one center but Lindholm or Scheifele do nothing for me. Both are looking for their biggest last contract and with their ages are likely to decline soon. If I would be Sweeney I would do everything to get one of Pettersson or Necas. There are rumors that Pettersson dont want to sign long term in Vancouver. He would fit the upcoming core very well and is truly elite in everything. A little bit worse but still an great player is Necas. Carolina will have some trouble with their cap so this could possibly make him avaiable. Both will be RFAs after this season but are more likely to be worth their upcoming contracts. I would make every prospect for them avaiable and one of Carlo or DeBrusk.
Agree and I like Lindholm, but for me he is a #2 C on a contender and I would not offer a ton for him where he can walk as a UFA next year, also would not go past maybe 4-5 year deal at most, he will be 30 soon, we need a #1 C that is 25 or younger, easier said than done, but that is what we need.

Reactions: Gordoff and Bodit9

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Agree and I like Lindholm, but for me he is a #2 C on a contender and I would not offer a ton for him where he can walk as a UFA next year, also would not go past maybe 4-5 year deal at most, he will be 30 soon, we need a #1 C that is 25 or younger, easier said than done, but that is what we need.
At the trade deadline lindholm will get a couple firsts a roster player and an A prospect is my guess.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

As someone who watched a lot of Calgary games - Sutter was Debby Downer on steroids

Anyone who’s been watching Lindholm knows he’s a perfect fit but Sweens should probably sit it out

The more I think of this I don’t want to give anything up when they can wait till next summer

Nothing wrong with that - regular season means absolutely nothing - even watching unless a big game is probsbly a waste of time

Can we also cut the jokes and open a funny thread if need be - not everyone here has seen Spinal Tap or Ace Ventura
alrighty-then-jim-carrey.gif

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

You go too far, sir.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I think do nothing is a fair position. I hate the idea of trading younger players just to get older. We have Swayman, McAvoy and Pastrnak all at or under the age 27. All three are capable of being the best in the world at their position. We should be building up with that as our core.

If we are going to give away a haul, it better be for a legitimate star #1 center that is under 27.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
no one whose opinion matters hasn't seen ace ventura
Anyone who's seen it recently knows it's garbage

Sweeney has made this team - don't see much more happening till camp other than maybe a a value prospect signing. They're thin at high end C but also have 2 of the top 10 wings in the league and are pretty well stacked at D and in goal.

Last edited:

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
I hear what you are saying. In a perfect world, the Bruins find a way to get an under 27 year old #1 center but the cost will be insane...and making every prospect available and the 2025 1st depletes the cupboard to nothing. They simply just can't afford to mortgage the future like yet.

Saying Lindholm and Scheifele do nothing is a bit extreme. Both are easily within the top 32 centers in the league. Lindholm fits the roster like a glove. He has a great hockey IQ and I think players like that tend to age well versus players who rely solely on their speed.

The goal isn't to get the youngest #1 center...as if that is the recipe for success. If that was the case, Edmonton would win every year because they have the two best centers in the league. It's about balance and piecing together a roster that gives you the best chance to win the Stanley Cup. As of now, the Bruins have two #1 defenseman, two #1 goalies, two elite first line wingers and a Jack Adams coach.

Getting Lindholm even at 30 years old would patch a massive hole and extend their window. The Blues won in 2019 with ROR, Schenn and Bozak as their centers. None of them were over a ppg in the playoffs but they had team mental toughness, a strong defensive core, great goaltending and good coaching.

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida

Last season was an anomaly.
Going into last year I had the team at around 102 points plus or minus 6 points.
No one on the planet expected 65 wins / 135 points.

The retirement of Bergeron and as with the assumed speculation of Krejci will over the course of the season leave a significant hole. While management will plug players into the center roles you don't replace a Bergeron and to a lesser extent Krejci ... they were legitimate 1A and 1B centers. Anyone who assumes the #1c and 2c roles with be different from what we have been blessed with for the past 15 - 20 years.
Those who assume the 1c and 2c positions will have to carve out their own identity. Bruin fans are smart enough to realize that there is going to be a drop off and will temper their expectations.

Baring a trade (need to give to get) it could be a long road (years) before we are as deeply talented down the middle again. People mention Lindholm, but the question is ... after going all in last trade deadline and having to cut salary this summer, along with the retirements is Sweeney willing to further disrupt the chemistry / identity of the team. My feeling is the only way Sweeney make such a trade is if it is going to significantly improve the team.

They have a decent forward group ( Pastrnak, DeBrusk, Marchand, Zacha, Coyle ...) only lacking a legitimate number 1 center. They are as deep if not better than every team in the league on defense and in goal. The team (without significant injuries) should be a playoff team. Sweeney is probably in a holding pattern until possibly the earliest the trade deadline but most likely next summer. Unless, he is offered a trade he simply can't turn down ... which would be an anomaly.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
It amazing that there actually people who wouldn't want Lindholm because of his age (he's 28yr old) or think he's not a #1C in the NHL. Over the last 3 years among centers Lindholm ranks:

Goals - 18th
Points - 16th
ES Goals - 15th
ES Points - 16th
PP Goals - 15th
PP Points - 23rd

He's also strong in the dot at 53.6% which is good for 25th in FO% among centers with at least 2,000 draws over the last 3 years.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Last season was an anomaly.
Going into last year I had the team at around 102 points plus or minus 6 points.
No one on the planet expected 65 wins / 135 points.

The retirement of Bergeron and as with the assumed speculation of Krejci will over the course of the season leave a significant hole. While management will plug players into the center roles you don't replace a Bergeron and to a lesser extent Krejci ... they were legitimate 1A and 1B centers. Anyone who assumes the #1c and 2c roles with be different from what we have been blessed with for the past 15 - 20 years.
Those who assume the 1c and 2c positions will have to carve out their own identity. Bruin fans are smart enough to realize that there is going to be a drop off and will temper their expectations.

Baring a trade (need to give to get) it could be a long road (years) before we are as deeply talented down the middle again. People mention Lindholm, but the question is ... after going all in last trade deadline and having to cut salary this summer, along with the retirements is Sweeney willing to further disrupt the chemistry / identity of the team. My feeling is the only way Sweeney make such a trade is if it is going to significantly improve the team.

They have a decent forward group ( Pastrnak, DeBrusk, Marchand, Zacha, Coyle ...) only lacking a legitimate number 1 center. They are as deep if not better than every team in the league on defense and in goal. The team (without significant injuries) should be a playoff team. Sweeney is probably in a holding pattern until possibly the earliest the trade deadline but most likely next summer. Unless, he is offered a trade he simply can't turn down ... which would be an anomaly.
I think you pretty much nailed it

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I hear what you are saying. In a perfect world, the Bruins find a way to get an under 27 year old #1 center but the cost will be insane...and making every prospect available and the 2025 1st depletes the cupboard to nothing. They simply just can't afford to mortgage the future like yet.

Saying Lindholm and Scheifele do nothing is a bit extreme. Both are easily within the top 32 centers in the league. Lindholm fits the roster like a glove. He has a great hockey IQ and I think players like that tend to age well versus players who rely solely on their speed.

The goal isn't to get the youngest #1 center...as if that is the recipe for success. If that was the case, Edmonton would win every year because they have the two best centers in the league. It's about balance and piecing together a roster that gives you the best chance to win the Stanley Cup. As of now, the Bruins have two #1 defenseman, two #1 goalies, two elite first line wingers and a Jack Adams coach.

Getting Lindholm even at 30 years old would patch a massive hole and extend their window. The Blues won in 2019 with ROR, Schenn and Bozak as their centers. None of them were over a ppg in the playoffs but they had team mental toughness, a strong defensive core, great goaltending and good coaching.
The cost of getting Lindholm weakens your roster in other areas , you would need to give up young core players , sorry just not worth the price in my opinion.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad